Help a Lousy Photgrapher Pick a Digital Camera
Apr 27, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #17 of 62
OR the new S3is
I see it at One Call for $499.
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...=true&id=31504

Keep an eye out on any camera you look at for features such as a view finder (these are getting scarce on the small cameras) and use of AA batteries.
I don't care how bright they make those LCD screens, try looking at one in bright daylight with sunglasses on. A lot of newer little cameras have done away with the view finder and you must use the LCD screen exclusively.

I was contemplating the Fuji E900. I may get one someday. I need a little camera that I can keep close by at all times. I'm a sucker for 9 megapixels in such a small package.
tongue.gif

The S2is and S3is are the general style of camera that I already have, or I would be looking at one of them for myself.

May 6, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #19 of 62
Hey

I was in your shoes a week ago. Here's my thoughts.

I checked out a lot of forums over the past 2 weeks, really digging their archives. I narrowed my search down to the Canon G or S series. As you know the G series has been discontinued. The general consensus is that they're such great cameras that they're hurting the sales of the DSLR. I think it's the same with Olympus discontinuing the 7070.

Anyway, the 4 cameras i was considering were, G5, G6, S2 and S3. My priority was always gonna be image quality and from what i've read, the G series offered better quality pics. Also, they allow you to capture images in RAW. The zoom isn't a big deal for me. I can always crop images. The macro function of the G series is superior to the S. Also, it's a smaller camera.

One thing to consider is the batt and storage card. The G uses prop-batt and CF card. The S uses AA and SD card. I would have liked the AA actually but it's not too big an issue. I bought an extra charger ( home/car ) and batt on ebay for $12. The sandisk Ultra 1gb card cost me $50.

So my mind was set on a G series, either g5 or g6. I decided to go for the g5 in the end because of budget. G5 is around $200-$300 on ebay while the G6 is $350-$450 on ebay.

Lastly, also do some research on the Canon Pro1. I think it has been discontinued but can be found on ebay for $400-$500 or refurb somewhere. From what i've read, the Pro1 is the best camera before leaping to DSLR. There are a lot of comments that the Pro1 is better than the Nikon D50.

Anyway, i'm still very new to digital photography, so if there's anything i've said wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Good luck with your purchase. I'm off to enjoy my G5! WOOHOO!!!

Najib

May 6, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #20 of 62
I'm happy with my brand new A700 Canon....6X optical, 24X digital, ASA 800 capable, but noise shows, 6mp, 2 AA batteries last and last, and it isn't too costly - $284 at buydig.com... it is a relatively small camera, but has a nice bright and big lcd display, and has a viewfinder!!!!

good choice for me.

May 7, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
dpreview is junk - www.steves-digicams.com is much more thorough and extensive. For a really easy, small and very durable (internal zoom lens, so no externally moving parts), I would go for the Nikon S1.

dpreview isnt junk

steve likes almost every camera he tests ..

dpreview has tons of nice comparisons and showing of settings and color

May 7, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #23 of 62
I find steve's reviews full of fluff and generally unreliable as a source of information on a camera, particularly in terms of critical analysis. Both DPReview's and DCResource's reviews, imho, are superior to steve's. When I read Steve's reviews, I feel like half of what I'm reading is recycled from press kit from the manufacturer.

One of the fastest compacts around is the Fuji F11. Although it's harder to obtain than the F10, but it has some light manual control that the F10 lacks. Both are fast, though. They also work better than many other cameras in indoor lighting situations w/out use of flash due to high ISO capability that's actually usable. The Fuji F30 that is coming out this month may be even better, but I am not sure yet. The pre-production pictures from it look kind of bad, but maybe it'll be better at production.

Another camera that might be worth looking at is the Panasonic FX01.

May 7, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
honestly you'd have to be complete moron to take a bad picture with this camera.

Don't underestimate my (in)ability.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #25 of 62
I just picked up the Canon A540 and love it.
It's inexpensive, full manual control along with the program modes.
easy to use, and powers up quick, with very low shutter lag.

It's not going to compete with a DSLR with with a great lens, but
for an easy to carry point and shoot, it's very nice.

6 megapixal, 4x zoom, and
uses regular batteries (a major selling factor for me)

As for the debate about steves-digicams. My only problem with it is that
they don't always have the latest and greatest reviewed, when I'm looking for the detailed info. It was the sample pic comparisions on there, that I used for finally picking out my latest purchase.

good luck
-Jeff

May 8, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
I find steve's reviews full of fluff and generally unreliable as a source of information on a camera, particularly in terms of critical analysis. Both DPReview's and DCResource's reviews, imho, are superior to steve's. When I read Steve's reviews, I feel like half of what I'm reading is recycled from press kit from the manufacturer.

True, both you and Echo are right about that, but I don't even bother with the written reviews (personally I think reading about cameras is almost as pointless as reading about headphones
tongue.gif
). The only thing important to me is the sample pictures, and Steve's has them in spades - all taken of the same shot too, so it gives you a great frame of reference. Dpreview seems to pick out only the 'nice' pictures, so while you may think Steve's reviews are a bit disingenuous, I feel the same way about dpreviews photos.

Dcresource and imaging-resource are both very good though, if limited in their selection of cameras.

May 8, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Oh good lord, now I'm thinking about a dSLR, specifically the D50. Now I really don't know what to do.

very_evil_smiley.gif
Haha, now that I've got you thinkin' about it, you can't resist... You must have SLR glory LOL! Once you go D50, you don't want anything else
biggrin.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

May 8, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Oh good lord, now I'm thinking about a dSLR, specifically the D50. Now I really don't know what to do.

For baby pictures, you may actually want a DSLR. Many of the P&S type cameras have enough focus and shutter lag to virtually ensure that you will miss the moment. Some also have trouble with AF in low light. I have a Canon Pro 1, and it's a great camera for landscapes and stuff like that, but trying to get pictures of our cats with it was amazingly frustrating. It would either refuse to focus in marginal light, or it would falsely claim it was focused. Sometimes it stubbornly would focus on the background instead of the subject.

I bought a Canon 20D last Fall, and I've only used the Pro 1 once since then. The speed difference and low light focus capability are amazing. Plus, you have the AI Focus option, which will track a moving subject and keep it in focus. Great for kids and cats
icon10.gif
Add an external flash, so you can do bounce lighting (much more flattering than direct flash, especially the built-in flash on most cameras), and you'll get some great baby shots.

May 8, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
The obvious candidate for your needs is the Panasonic DMZ-FZ7. 6 MP, 12x zoom, image stabilization, very fast operation, and a good burst mode.

This one really looks promising. Thanks for pointing it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back