Hello, newbie seeking answers!
Sep 4, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #47 of 77
  • Quote:
  It's called digital waveguide synthesis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_waveguide_synthesis

It has been used for synthesizing acoustic musical instruments for more than a decade. Maybe someone should applied this to headphones, it may not sound 100% accurate but as long as it gives an impression of the sound signature it will be good enough for me. 

Hope this doesn't count as a double post, but I already told you - it isn't possible.

This is for synthesizing instruments, not headphones. And as you might already know, instruments aren't headphones (or vice versa). Actually, DWG is used in synthesizers to allow the altering of the sound of acoustic instruments. I don't know how it's possible to take the sound signature of a headphone and process it with DWG to simulate that signature -- AFAIK it isn't possible. To truly simulate a headphone, you need to have:
  • The exact same sound signature
  • A near-perfect simulation of the soundstage
  • Near-exact acoustic physics
  • Similar drivers
  • Similar driver size
  • Similar housings for simulation of airflow
  • Perfectly flat headphone sound signature for the simulator.

If you can't have all of them, you're better off buying the heapdhone itself.
 I am not saying we should use this to replace real headphones, but it can be a valuable guide for previewing the sound before buying them.

I get your intention, and believe me, I want to expereince a similar sound of actual open headphones myself, but if you think about it, it just isn't possible.

...that is, unless Stephen Hawking becomes an audiophile.

EDIT:
  apple hater here... also not a big cell phone n tablet fan eithier

Umm, are you referring to the fruit or to the brand? JK 
biggrin.gif

I love apples.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #48 of 77
  I totally agree with you Billson. However, I do like Android because there are so many apps available for free. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention customization options that could make any Apple device cry?

Still, I'm an iOS fan. I love the apps, paid or not. Then you have jailbreaking and you get to open up a whole new world...

Sometimes, I wonder why people purchase an >$500 iOS device but refused to pay $0.99 app but that's just my opinion, anyone may disagree with it. Tried the Note 1 and iPhone 4, they both have pretty good sound when plugged with a headphone xD

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #49 of 77
  Sometimes, I wonder why people purchase an >$500 iOS device but refused to pay $0.99 app but that's just my opinion, anyone may disagree with it. Tried the Note 1 and iPhone 4, they both have pretty good sound when plugged with a headphone xD

LOL. I used to think that, until summer vacation came and I got to use my allowance for buying apps on the iPad. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #50 of 77

Definitely agree...what's funny to me is that I may well end up buying an iPhone or iPod Touch because of this $0.99 piece of software...need to dig a little more though.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #51 of 77
  EXACTLY there is NO eq for that matches how physical hardware colors sound. I DOES NOT EXIST. Some very well informed man tried to tell me you can EQ the HIFIMAN sound into any dap... we ended the discussion with "an agreement to disagree" 

The future might hold "simulated" headphones one day but for now if you want the Hifiman He 500 sound or the T90 sound... BUY THE HARD WARE ... 

I agree with buying the hardware...especially for your home setup.  It's why I have a variety of headphones/iems and am in the market for an entry level tube amp.

However, what's really cool about this idea is that you can get an iPhone (can't believe I'm saying that) and a set (or two) of IEMs that can 'handle' equalization to approximate a variety of listening setups while you're on the go.  Listening to Rock?...switch to the Grado profile, Hip Hop?...switch to your favorite Basshead profile, etc.

Obviously, it's not as good as "the real thing" but if it was close enough, I wouldn't care for portable listening.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #52 of 77

I agree with buying the hardware...especially for your home setup.  It's why I have a variety of headphones/iems and am in the market for an entry level tube amp.

However, what's really cool about this idea is that you can get an iPhone (can't believe I'm saying that) and a set (or two) of IEMs that can 'handle' equalization to approximate a variety of listening setups while you're on the go.  Listening to Rock?...switch to the Grado profile, Hip Hop?...switch to your favorite Basshead profile, etc.

Obviously, it's not as good as "the real thing" but if it was close enough, I wouldn't care for portable listening.

Yea I guess. But seeing as I hate iems, and my portable rig is a Hifiman Hm 801 iBasso PB1 and a 600 ohm Beyer Dt 880, I think I have my bases covered without an eq <3 

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #53 of 77
Yeah, wish I could do that...it's why I got the 1350s and the TF10's

Can't stand walking around with the PMP, Cable, Amp, and full-size hp's. It's a pita and I feel like I'm a walking audio store.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #54 of 77
Yeah, wish I could do that...it's why I got the 1350s and the TF10's

Can't stand walking around with the PMP, Cable, Amp, and full-size hp's. It's a pita and I feel like I'm a walking audio store.

Man Ya need bigger pockets mah man! It's coming up on fall/winter, perfect time to get your self a light jacket with some huge pockets, 

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #55 of 77
Baby steps...I almost never use my phone for music; opting for the Clip Zip because of the form factor.

Moving to an X3 or an iPod Touch is a HUGE step!   :wink:

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #56 of 77
Baby steps...I almost never use my phone for music; opting for the Clip Zip because of the form factor.

Moving to an X3 or an iPod Touch is a HUGE step!   :wink:

If I were you, I'll go for X3 xD iTouch is just... Too limited. Limited storage. Limited file format. Limit accessibility. XD

Billson :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #57 of 77
If I were you, I'll go for X3 xD iTouch is just... Too limited. Limited storage. Limited file format. Limit accessibility. XD

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

You are so right. Of course, if you want to do stuff other than listen to music, the Touch is your best bet. Still, if you have a phone, you're better off with the X3 for music and the phone for everything else.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #58 of 77
You are so right. Of course, if you want to do stuff other than listen to music, the Touch is your best bet. Still, if you have a phone, you're better off with the X3 for music and the phone for everything else.

Using smartphone for internet surfing can be awful T.T I did rather get a basic Nokia phone that allows only one external app and that is whatsapp (it's very useful in my country). Then get a 13-inch Laptop for others xD

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #59 of 77
Using smartphone for internet surfing can be awful T.T I did rather get a basic Nokia phone that allows only one external app and that is whatsapp (it's very useful in my country). Then get a 13-inch Laptop for others xD

Yeah, I can agree. WhatsApp is a messenger app, am I right?

But as for the laptop, I don't know if it's convenient on the go...

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #60 of 77
  Yeah, I can agree. WhatsApp is a messenger app, am I right?

But as for the laptop, I don't know if it's convenient on the go...

yep yep! Whatsapp is a messenger app. 

Laptop these days are thinner although not as thin as most tablet but nevertheless they are much more useful than tablet [I myself own a tablet and have a laptop sitting next to my alll-in one pc] and I definitely find the laptop the best! I use it to convert FLAC to ALAC and more on music leisure while the big boys PC are for my one and only game as well as downloading and movies since they are huge, 21-inch!

+ most importantly, laptop or PC's DAC and amp are easier to bypass! xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back