Hello, newbie seeking answers!
Sep 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #16 of 77
And yes the K550 does sound very open! {i'm selling one my self} and the isolation is wonderful, in addition I'm selling my old K550 and JDS Labs C5 combo, the c5 added a nice mid and bass presenace into the K550. For me the K550 had a great TIGHT bass, it was awesome for rock, folk, jazz and classical, but for EDM I still wanted a touch more bass, which is where the C5 comes into play, I choose the C5 because of it was able to retain mid and treble details even with the bass boost on, not to mention it has a touch more sound stage than the Fiio Amps

Still, the Dt 990 and E11 combo is an excellent one, that I used for a while my self! although rember there is no isolation with open cans [which might be a good or bad thing for you] 

+1

Billson :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #17 of 77
I am a little confused about the DT 990 and it's pro version, which one is better? The pro is a lot cheaper but uses plastic instead of metal for construction, and from what I read, the pro is also uncomfortable, with a smaller soundstage because of bigger bass? Is that true?

One more question: does the DT 990 sounds hollow? I am now used to the mid of Shure 535, it sounds full and thick. Sometimes when I switch to the earpod that came with iPhone 5, it sounds very hollow. The earpod is open, very transparent, very bright and actually has extended bass (!!). I am just worried that DT 990 has this type of signature, being V shape and open soundstage.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #18 of 77
Quote:
I am a little confused about the DT 990 and it's pro version, which one is better? The pro is a lot cheaper but uses plastic instead of metal for construction, and from what I read, the pro is also uncomfortable, with a smaller soundstage because of bigger bass? Is that true?

One more question: does the DT 990 sounds hollow? I am now used to the mid of Shure 535, it sounds full and thick. Sometimes when I switch to the earpod that came with iPhone 5, it sounds very hollow. The earpod is open, very transparent, very bright and actually has extended bass (!!). I am just worried that DT 990 has this type of signature, being V shape and open soundstage.

The sound stage is not smaller becuase of more bass, in actuality the Dt 990 Pre has the same sound stage because of less bass but it has some kind of filter at the back of the can to sweeten the treble. And yes it's not "thin" BUT compared to something as THICK and MIDDY as the Shure it will be

For that reason, the K550 would be a good option, trust me [I own one] it has fantastic mids. Not THICK but full bodied with a touch of solid punch to them. I'd keep my k550 but I already own a W1000x 

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #19 of 77
Quote:

+1 on the DT990.

I don't have the comfort issues or lack of soundstage with the Pro but I haven't heard the Premium.  So, maybe I'm missing something and just don't know it.  I use an E10 with it; works well for most of the music I listen to. 

The one issue I have is when a recording leans toward the 'bright side'.  Then it gets a little harsh.  My solution is that I'll be purchasing an entry tube amp...probably just an excuse to try tubes!

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #20 of 77
Quote:

+1 on the DT990.

I don't have the comfort issues or lack of soundstage with the Pro but I haven't heard the Premium.  So, maybe I'm missing something and just don't know it.  I use an E10 with it; works well for most of the music I listen to. 

The one issue I have is when a recording leans toward the 'bright side'.  Then it gets a little harsh.  My solution is that I'll be purchasing an entry tube amp...probably just an excuse to try tubes!

Yea Tubes + the Dt 990 is a great combo

but again it's a nice can that likes a Darker amp [tubes fall into that] 

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #21 of 77
"I believe the only way to get an accurate audio reproduction from headphone is some kind of calibrating program to compensate the deficiencies of the headphone. That means the manufacturer will have to supply a sound profile of the headphone (just like a computer screen with color profile) for the playing device to do the calibration. Since most people use iPod/iphone/tablet to play their music I think it is a feasible idea."

Never tried this program but it's one implementation of what you're looking for...only has the DT770's currently but they continue to add headphone profiles

http://www.amp.audyssey.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audyssey-media-player/id569331902?mt=8

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #22 of 77
"I believe the only way to get an accurate audio reproduction from headphone is some kind of calibrating program to compensate the deficiencies of the headphone. That means the manufacturer will have to supply a sound profile of the headphone (just like a computer screen with color profile) for the playing device to do the calibration. Since most people use iPod/iphone/tablet to play their music I think it is a feasible idea."

Never tried this program but it's one implementation of what you're looking for...only has the DT770's currently but they continue to add headphone profiles

http://www.amp.audyssey.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audyssey-media-player/id569331902?mt=8

Weird technology to me xD but thanks for the sharing!

Billson :D

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #23 of 77
OK DT 990 it is then!

I've heard this headphone needs a very powerful amp to drive, which is why I am buying the Fiio E12 which is capable of outputting 850mW. Is the E10/E11 enough for this headphone? Or should I get a tube amp? The cheapest one I found is a Hifiman desktop tube amp, is it good?

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #24 of 77
Quote:
OK DT 990 it is then!

I've heard this headphone needs a very powerful amp to drive, which is why I am buying the Fiio E12 which is capable of outputting 850mW. Is the E10/E11 enough for this headphone? Or should I get a tube amp? The cheapest one I found is a Hifiman desktop tube amp, is it good?

the E12 is great portable and it is plenty powerful

For tubes.... espically very inexpensive ones, try the Little Dot 1+ for around $150 or so Try to avoid the cheaper tubes as they are kinda iffy 

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #26 of 77
Quote:
THANKS! This is EXACTLY what I am looking for, and it's got Shure 535 profile! I am going to download and test it. I will report back later.

indeed, and are you talking about the Little Dot 1+? And uhh not sure how your going to dwnload it though :3 

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #27 of 77
Sorry I was referring to the Audyssey App.

You guys need to try this app!! Turning it on and off makes a day and night difference with the Shure 535. This is the best $0.99 I spent in my life! It even has this high/low and bass/treble adjustment setting feature, but it sounds fine without using them. I even think the interface is better looking than the built-in iOS music app. I am so happy with the sound of my Shure now that I consider deferring other headphones purchase... there's no DT 990 support yet, only 770. I can see AKG K550 and Sennheiser Momentum in there though.

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #28 of 77
Quote:
Sorry I was referring to the Audyssey App.

You guys need to try this app!! Turning it on and off makes a day and night difference with the Shure 535. This is the best $0.99 I spent in my life! It even has this high/low and bass/treble adjustment setting feature, but it sounds fine without using them. I even think the interface is better looking than the built-in iOS music app. I am so happy with the sound of my Shure now that I consider deferring other headphones purchase... there's no DT 990 support yet, only 770. I can see AKG K550 and Sennheiser Momentum in there though.

Hmmm -- glad you like it.  You've caused a problem for me though, as I was thinking of getting a FiiO X3 and may have to consider an iPod Touch...which goes against every fiber of my being.

So, any chance you could give a brief description of the before & after sound signature of the 535 to us?

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #29 of 77
Quote:

Hmmm -- glad you like it.  You've caused a problem for me though, as I was thinking of getting a FiiO X3 and may have to consider an iPod Touch...which goes against every fiber of my being.

So, any chance you could give a brief description of the before & after sound signature of the 535 to us?

Honestly if you want a nice set of Software EQ settings try a Cowon, they have some of the BEST eq software on the market. It's amazing what those DAPS can do, but it's software eq. Something I'm not a big fan of personally, as I prefer a more old school approach to things, like using hard ware to add color

That said, if you like what that software did with your iems, then enjoy them! No need to rush into another purchase, how ever if you need something with a simmilar sound but Over the Ear instead of In Ear, I'm selling a K550 which should have a simmilar sound to the Shure 535,but I honestly have no idea about any IEMS, your Shure 535... semm to be in the $500 market xD I have no idea what to expect from that with that said lol just enjoy them, unless you want an over ear! 

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #30 of 77
Honestly if you want a nice set of Software EQ settings try a Cowon, they have some of the BEST eq software on the market. It's amazing what those DAPS can do, but it's software eq. Something I'm not a big fan of personally, as I prefer a more old school approach to things, like using hard ware to add color

That said, if you like what that software did with your iems, then enjoy them! No need to rush into another purchase, how ever if you need something with a simmilar sound but Over the Ear instead of In Ear, I'm selling a K550 which should have a simmilar sound to the Shure 535,but I honestly have no idea about any IEMS, your Shure 535... semm to be in the $500 market xD I have no idea what to expect from that with that said lol just enjoy them, unless you want an over ear! 

Perhaps, you should try some high-end IEMs xD it's surprising how good they sound (in terms of size) but PLEASEEEEE don't compare it with your full size headphones! Full size have wider soundstage, imaging and instrument separation!

*I know you do not like things in your ears :)
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back