Hello! How is NuForce Icon HD different from NuForce HDP?
Jan 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 10
The HDP has these features which the HD does not

- digital coaxial and optical inputs
- analog inputs (3.5mm and RCA jacks)
- a knob to switch between the inputs

That is the only difference I am aware of.  Everything operates the same otherwise

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 10
I believe the Icon HD does not have a pre-amp out, where the Icon HDP does.  Check the pictures of the back of the units as well, you'll see the missing hardware.

*edit*

Just checked the thread about the Icon HDP in Source Components forum, and Jasonl (of NuForce) had this to say:

"We just release Icon HD $349, a saving of $100 if you do not care about SPDIF DAC or the preamp.
It is just a USB DAC with RCA and headphone outputs identical to HDP."

Should clairfy the difference a little more.

Hope this helps.

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 10
The Icon HD looks like a killer deal for PC users.  At $450 the HDP was considered an excellent value.  I imagine most users of the HDP don't utilize the preamp function (I certainly don't), and would appreciate a savings of $100.

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 10
So the RCA outs are line-level outputs (and not variable)? Sounds very interesting........

I'll be interested in hearing comparisons with the Cambridge Audio DACMagic, Arcam rDAC and the HRT Streamers.

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
So the RCA outs are line-level outputs (and not variable)? Sounds very interesting........

I'll be interested in hearing comparisons with the Cambridge Audio DACMagic, Arcam rDAC and the HRT Streamers.

No, the RCA outs are variable still and affected by the volume control.  Feature wise, think exactly what the HDP could do if it was missing the analog inputs,spdif inputs and a selector knob. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
The Icon HD looks like a killer deal for PC users.  At $450 the HDP was considered an excellent value.  I imagine most users of the HDP don't utilize the preamp function (I certainly don't), and would appreciate a savings of $100.

I wonder if they should re-word things so they don't just call it an HDP without a pre-amp. I think that is over-simplifying how many features were actually removed and was deceiving to me as what I thought it really meant (lack of variable RCA outs) was not true.

If you really think about it, the Icon HD feature wise.... is just like a uDac or uDac2 but without an SPDIF output so it is actually less featured than those two products.  There is no functionality improvement over the uDac or uDac2, unlike the HDP which has much going for it feature wise.  What you are getting is improved sound quality over the uDac and uDac2 and the requirement of a separate wall power supply.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if they should re-word things so they don't just call it an HDP without a pre-amp. I think that is over-simplifying how many features were actually removed and was deceiving to me as what I thought it really meant (lack of variable RCA outs) was not true.

If you really think about it, the Icon HD feature wise.... is just like a uDac or uDac2 but without an SPDIF output so it is actually less featured than those two products.  There is no functionality improvement over the uDac or uDac2, unlike the HDP which has much going for it feature wise.  What you are getting is improved sound quality over the uDac and uDac2 and the requirement of a separate wall power supply.

I'm not sure how recently they added this to the Icon HD product page, but in bold print they put near the top:

"The Icon HD is designed for users who want the Icon HDP's world-class USB DAC and headphone-amp performance without having a need for the Icon HDP's flexibilities"

I think that's fairly straightforward, but I see your point about the preamp, as the HD still essentially acts as a preamp for the line-out.

I'd imagine most PC users wouldn't have the need for an optical in, given the excellent USB option, nor would most users have an input device which had a superior DAC to the Icon HD (thus needing the RCA inputs). 

On a side note, I find the DAC on my HDP to be noticeably better than on my uDac2, but the amp in the HDP is really leagues ahead of the uDac2's; the HDP just has much more power, and is more in line with a full-featured desktop headphone amp.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 10
I really think that Jason and the others at Nuforce might have envisioned the 'ultimate' desktop rig for someone with a home office or similar when they specced the HDP:

Computer->HDP->Icon Amp (the $149 'power' amp)->(nearfield) desktop monitors

You could work variations on that for something like gaming (possibly active speakers in place of the Amp/monitors), but I suspect that you get the idea. HeadphoneAddict gave the original Icon rave reviews for its ability to drive bookshelves, and the Amp is more powerful again, but I suspect that most Head-Fiers have only used the headphone out, paving the way for a cutdown model - I think that makes good business sense. Not sure how many gamers are prepared to spend that much on sound, but for someone trapped in front of a computer for many hours each day, I cant think of a better rig for the same money.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
 .  .  .  for someone trapped in front of a computer for many hours each day, I cant think of a better rig for the same money

Yep, that's my situation (trapped in front of my computer for many hours each day) and very limited desk space.  Also wanted something easily transportable that could run on foreign voltages.  So the HDP has worked out very well for me, although I haven't yet had occasion to use the features that differentiate it from the less expensive HD model.  I suppose if the HD had been available when I was buying a few months ago I would probably have gone with that instead of the HDP and saved a little money.  But perhaps the added flexibility will eventually come in handy. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back