Hello all a Noob in need of advice on noise isolating ear buds.
Sep 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

VegasSirk

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! Im new here and wanted to first of say thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

I currently in the market for a set of in ear headphones / buds. I was looking at the Shure SCL2 and Klipsch Image S4s but couldnt make up my mind on whats best for what Im looking for.

I use to use a set of Panasonic RP-HC30s. They where ok, but never very comfortable and did decent on canceling out noise in a plane.

I really only use headphones while traveling and use the 90% of the time on a airplane. So with with that said I would like to find a set of in ear buds that would meet these requirements:

1) Noise Isolating or Canceling - Really the most important to me
2) Good sound quality with decent bass (but not over kill base) as I listen to rock, rap, house, and country
3) Comfy comfy comfy .... as since i use these with travel I sleep with them in (this is one of the main reasons I dont go to over ear ones)
4) Price range of under $200

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 2
I'm new here as well. However, I might be able to provide a portion of your answer.  Is your list is in order of preference?
I've had a pair of Etymotic ER4 earphones for a few years now and will say they isolate very well.  They probably don't fit your heavy bass requirement (although I feel they were balanced nicely). If you don't like something deep in your ear, you won't like them from the comfort perspective.  The latter doesn't bother me though, so I find them comfortable.  I still haven't gotten used to the over the ear phones yet (especially when i use them while working in the yard) so they fit my needs better.

I recently got some Etymotic MC5s for a backup while my ERs are fixed and at first listen, they are just as clear of a sound as the ER4s I've had (although i can only comparing from memory since the ER4 cables are broke right now).  They are supposed to have a bit more bass, and I can see that, but without comparing A/B i can't say that definitely yet.  Still, Bass is not their strong point if that is a higher requirement than the isolation.

It appears that phone are allot about personal preference though, so...
Do a search on here for the Fisher Audio DB-02, that may have a bit more Bass for you, or perhaps the Monster Golds or Coppers (I'm ordering the latter soon as my addiction takes hold...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back