Hello Again, and Help is needed
Dec 9, 2006 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Meugenio

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-fi, it has been quite some time since i last gazed upon these pages. Within a few months of joining I had purchased, a solid pair of open phones (225s), a solid pair of closed phones (DT770s), and a solid pair of IEM's (im716s).

I found out that I really dont like IEMs that much at all, too much of a hassle, and too awkward for my likings.

Well I was told to go run away,and I did, and considered doing some sort of mid level collection, with one phone from each house, however decided I didn't want to.

Anyways, the real reason I am returning is that I am purchasing headphones for my cousin for the holiday season. He has a "pair of 40 dollar Senns that he hates, as they are too shrilly", and had "a pair of 20 dollar Sonys that were good, but stepped on" and "another pair of bad Sonys".

The trouble is that he has a very discriminating ear, and is VERY into music, both in producing, performing, and listining. He loves radiohead, and is very into indie music, yet loves high production values, and gets very annoyed by shrilly sounding, or base heavy speakers or 'phones. He also wants some circum-arural phones, and some closed phones, as he frequents subways oft. With him being such a sound snob, I feel as if I cannot let him down, please, help.

Dec 9, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 11
I was thinking about some MDR V6s, as they aparrantly are very neutral, and have great clarity and detail. This is just what I have heard. Perhaps AKG's 81-DJ's. I havent tried either pair.

Dec 9, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 11
You want recommendations for a closed, circumaural headphone for your cousin, who doesn't like treble- or bass-heavy phones, yes?

What is your budget?

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 11
Yes, exactly.

I am shooting for an under 100 dollar 'phone that is closed and circum-arural, with a nice balance between low's mid's and high's.

I was thinking the Senn HD 280s (yet he said he hated his 40 dollar senns (to shrilly), so he might not like the house sound), AKG 81 DJs, some Sony V6s, Some Auido Technica A500s....

Any thoughts please, if not, ill just buy the sonys, as he has liked thier products in the past.

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Senn HD-280. Very well balanced, not shrill, good tight and controlled bass, closed and offer great isolation. They can be had for under 100. I find I can easily listen to all types of music on them.

Stay the hell away fron the K81DJ, very unaturral boomy bass and not very comfortable, can be painful for wearing long periods of time, not exactly accurate for sound reproduction.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 11
The beyerdynamic DT250 sound like a good choice, but they are rather expensive. I have seen them go for $100 used on the FS forums here though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back