Heir Audio 4.Ai vs Earsonics Sm64 vs Westone 4 vs Others
Aug 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Gryphus0204

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an upgrade from my Gr07... And it's really been tough with all the tough choices out there 
size]
 My main preference is an engaging IEM, with really good Sound separation and clarity, something perhaps more engaging than the Gr07? The Gr07 was engaging for me, but had too little bass...

I've a budget of about 450USD(Just for the IEM), maybe perhaps abit more if it's really worth it. And so far I've narrowed down to these few gems:

1.Heir Audio 4.Ai
2. Earsonics Sm64

I know there are others like UE900, or the Westone 4 or Shure... But i dont think they fit my sonic preference?

I also plan to buy the Chris_Himself cables to match up with those IEM, so a detachable cable would be nice. I also plan to buy a new source to match my new IEM, and upgrade all my files to FLAC. Right now it looks like the Fiio X3 is the one, but I'm not sure how it'll match up with the IEM. 

Thanks Guys for the help!

UPDATE: It looks like the Heir 4.Ai isn't my type of IEM... But instead the Westone 4 is closer to the SM64 to my preference... How would the 2 compare with each other? 

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 31
Check the fischer amps fa 4e xb they have plenty of bass but the mids and highs are never shadowed by this bass everything is bright detailed and clear, soundstsge is huge with great separation. i own the sm3v2 without filters and ex1000 which are suposed to be in the same league as the ue 900, w4...and find them nowhere as good as the fischer amps

Sound is balanced with great extension at both ends and clear detailed engaging mids, check them in thomann cyberstore, they are also very easy to drive

The other iems you listed have no more bass than the gr07

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 31
I don't actually want tooo much bass. Maybe just a tad more than the Gr07. Does the fischer amps sound like any other IEM? Also in your review it looks like the bass is really really lot. But i really am attracted to the mids and highs though, though I'm not sure whether will they ship to Asia?

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 31
It sounds like a very improved version of the tf10 as other people said but ive never heard those. Bass is +6db but as i said sound is balaced/bright with punch, these are by nomeans bassmonsters

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 31
I'm going to just put this out there, the 4.Ai won't be for you if you're looking for a GR07 + bass...  You'll lose a bit in the upper midrange and lower treble...  It's a bit warm in contrast to something closer to true neutral (4.Ai is not neutral).  The UE 900 and W4 would suite your preferences more over the 4.Ai.  For you, I'd have to say W4 over UE 900.

If detachable cables weren't a must, I'd say add the RE-600 to the list.  A Shure IEM might also be along the lines of what you may want as well, depending on model.  You might lose a bit of treble quantity though if you go that route. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:
I'm going to just put this out there, the 4.Ai won't be for you if you're looking for a GR07 + bass...  You'll lose a bit in the upper midrange and lower treble...  It's a bit warm in contrast to something closer to true neutral (4.Ai is not neutral).  The UE 900 and W4 would suite your preferences more over the 4.Ai.  For you, I'd have to say W4 over UE 900.

If detachable cables weren't a must, I'd say add the RE-600 to the list.  A Shure IEM might also be along the lines of what you may want as well, depending on model.  You might lose a bit of treble quantity though if you go that route. 

How about the SM64? I read it has foward mids and that is quite attractive as well!

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 31
The ATH-CK100 Pro( highly detailed mids, highs and good bass response), Westone UM3X+AMPs (superb imaging, separation and very detailed mids, highs, bass.), Sony EX1000(very detailed mids, extended highs and punchy bass) and Etymotic ER4S+AMPs(highly detailed mids, extended highs and good bass response) are very good upgrade over GR07.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:
How about the SM64? I read it has foward mids and that is quite attractive as well!

I tend to not recommend things I don't feel I have a good grasp on, either personally or through reviews.  That said, I haven't read enough on the SM64 (and I haven't heard them), so I really couldn't tell you, sorry :frowning2: 

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 31
From what you've said it's a good bet you'll really like the SM64. I've never heard the gr07 so I can't be sure. What else are you familiar with? Maybe there is another phone we have in common.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

I tend to not recommend things I don't feel I have a good grasp on, either personally or through reviews.  That said, I haven't read enough on the SM64 (and I haven't heard them), so I really couldn't tell you, sorry :frowning2: 

Haha its okay. It's kinda tough in my country though cause the taxes are really high and the IEM gets marked up pretty pricey. I can audition a few like the westone 4r and the Heir audio though, maybe i should give it a shot first? :D
Quote:
From what you've said it's a good bet you'll really like the SM64. I've never heard the gr07 so I can't be sure. What else are you familiar with? Maybe there is another phone we have in common.

MeeElectronics M6 maybe? Or perhaps the philips SHE3580? I'm only 16 I've very few headphones T_T Gr06.. Sennheiser HD201?

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 31
One of the most common faults in iem is the cable so removable is a must in my eyes. By all means offer non-removable at a lower price to provide consumer choice but I don't look at manufacturers lacking rc option.

Personal statement over, I concur the 4.ai is warm sounding. It is a fast iem and bass may be considered lean. Someone in Singapore must have it though for you to beg a demo

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 31
One of the most common faults in iem is the cable so removable is a must in my eyes. By all means offer non-removable at a lower price to provide consumer choice but I don't look at manufacturers lacking rc option.

Personal statement over, I concur the 4.ai is warm sounding. It is a fast iem and bass may be considered lean. Someone in Singapore must have it though for you to beg a demo

Luckily for us we have a official reseller, although the price is quite marked up I think I can demo it though

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #14 of 31
My wife has the M6 so if you are still considering the SM64 and think it would be helpful I would listen to both for you. Also, it you can demo the W4, I own those too and give you some good contrasts for those and why I prefer the SM64.

Let me know.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 31
From your post, I would agree that you should look into W4.

The W4 is really an engaging IEM that sports a non fatigue listening and sounds so musical in its tuning. I would say the amount of bass the W4 throws out punches deeper than the GR07. It goes pretty deep and tight. The bass is pretty fast too with a slight decay. It is tuned more towards quality bass rather than quantity which makes it really enjoyable. A slight mid bass hump is also present which gives this IEM leaning more towards the warm signature.
Mids are very well positioned and I can safely say most people will definitely enjoy the mids on the W4. To me, it has been the best mids I've come across on all the IEMs I've heard or owned. Mids on the W4 are very slightly forward positioned which gives vocals a very lush and smooth sound. Both male and female vocals sound full and energized which is really a joy to listen to. Instrument separation is extremely good as well with distinctive placement and layering of instruments. Clarity wise, it's pretty good as well just that I do find a slight veil hindering the clarity in the lower mids.
Treble on the W4 is nothing short if fantastic. It is extremely linear, smooth and non fatiguing! Even pumped up high there's no signs of screeching or painful treble.
The only thing that I find, is the W4 requires a certain volume to come alive. Lower volumes will result in mild bass/sub bass and the vocals does not come across as that dynamic.
Note: I paired the W4 with silver dragon cable.

The Heir Audio 4ai I would agree with Tinyman that they will not fit your bill nicely. Bass response/quantity is lesser than both W4 and GR07 to my ears. However, that does not mean it has a lame bass response. Comparing to SE535Ltd, bass response on the 4ai is still much prominent.
The bass on 4ai punches deep, tight and really fast. It does not have a mid bass hump. Bass only kicks in when the music calls for it. If bass is present in the music, the 4ai portrays it really well with fast thumping bass.
Comparing the mids of the 4ai to W4, I would say both are good but the W4 edges out more with a fuller vocal which is lusher. Vocals on the 4ai may sound abit thin compared to W4. However, clarity on 4ai is better as there's no veil hindering it. Instrument separation edges out on W4 with amazing separation on par with UM3X.
However, I do find the timbre on the 4ai abit unrealistic sounding. Cymbals sounded artificial. Timbre on the W4 sounded natural and good.
Both W4 and 4ai has a pretty wide soundstage about 4th row from the theatre.

I've heard the UE900 too. IMO, it sounds pretty much alike to the W4 but is thinner sounding and bass is not as deep as W4 to me.

Hope this helps! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back