Heir Audio 4.Ai vs Earsonics Sm64 vs Westone 4 vs Others
Aug 14, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #16 of 31
Of the two, I'd pick SM64, Reason being that I feel it's a more balanced, and natural sounding package. The Heir 4.a has it's merits and I would consider it an equal, but to simplify a long paragraph's worth of explanation, I'd pick the SM64 for what I listen to. The Earsonics family of IEM's has long been my favorite brand for a long time and I've tried everything to try to trump them for not just value, but outright performance. I think Earsonics is also stocked by some of the best vendors head-fi has as well. Sound Earphones is my particularly favorite as I've spent quite a bit there and had no hangups and they're great to talk to on the phone if you need buying advice. I've skipped posting threads on production IEM's for a long time since I discovered them.

Thank you for your endorsement Gryphus. I appreciate the support and I look forward to our business.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:
My wife has the M6 so if you are still considering the SM64 and think it would be helpful I would listen to both for you. Also, it you can demo the W4, I own those too and give you some good contrasts for those and why I prefer the SM64.

Let me know.

Sure would definitely like to hear a comparison between those 3! Thanks!!!

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:
From your post, I would agree that you should look into W4.

The W4 is really an engaging IEM that sports a non fatigue listening and sounds so musical in its tuning. I would say the amount of bass the W4 throws out punches deeper than the GR07. It goes pretty deep and tight. The bass is pretty fast too with a slight decay. It is tuned more towards quality bass rather than quantity which makes it really enjoyable. A slight mid bass hump is also present which gives this IEM leaning more towards the warm signature.
Mids are very well positioned and I can safely say most people will definitely enjoy the mids on the W4. To me, it has been the best mids I've come across on all the IEMs I've heard or owned. Mids on the W4 are very slightly forward positioned which gives vocals a very lush and smooth sound. Both male and female vocals sound full and energized which is really a joy to listen to. Instrument separation is extremely good as well with distinctive placement and layering of instruments. Clarity wise, it's pretty good as well just that I do find a slight veil hindering the clarity in the lower mids.
Treble on the W4 is nothing short if fantastic. It is extremely linear, smooth and non fatiguing! Even pumped up high there's no signs of screeching or painful treble.
The only thing that I find, is the W4 requires a certain volume to come alive. Lower volumes will result in mild bass/sub bass and the vocals does not come across as that dynamic.
Note: I paired the W4 with silver dragon cable.

The Heir Audio 4ai I would agree with Tinyman that they will not fit your bill nicely. Bass response/quantity is lesser than both W4 and GR07 to my ears. However, that does not mean it has a lame bass response. Comparing to SE535Ltd, bass response on the 4ai is still much prominent.
The bass on 4ai punches deep, tight and really fast. It does not have a mid bass hump. Bass only kicks in when the music calls for it. If bass is present in the music, the 4ai portrays it really well with fast thumping bass.
Comparing the mids of the 4ai to W4, I would say both are good but the W4 edges out more with a fuller vocal which is lusher. Vocals on the 4ai may sound abit thin compared to W4. However, clarity on 4ai is better as there's no veil hindering it. Instrument separation edges out on W4 with amazing separation on par with UM3X.
However, I do find the timbre on the 4ai abit unrealistic sounding. Cymbals sounded artificial. Timbre on the W4 sounded natural and good.
Both W4 and 4ai has a pretty wide soundstage about 4th row from the theatre.

I've heard the UE900 too. IMO, it sounds pretty much alike to the W4 but is thinner sounding and bass is not as deep as W4 to me.

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha wow. I see your from Singapore too! I think i will demo the Heir from Treoo and probably the W4 from Stereo. But right now it looks like my options has been narrowed down to the SM64 and W4 thanks to you! 

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #19 of 31
Haha wow. I see your from Singapore too! I think i will demo the Heir from Treoo and probably the W4 from Stereo. But right now it looks like my options has been narrowed down to the SM64 and W4 thanks to you! 

Haha you're most welcomed! :)
Yup. The W4 is really a stellar IEM which sounds amazing. Coupled with a cable change which in my case, silver dragon cable really showed its potential. I've not heard the SM64 hence can't say much on it.

The 4ai is really a nice sounding and good earphone too. Just that I feel it does not suit your tastes that well. The W4 is simply an all-rounder. For me I had trouble fitting on the 4ai.

If you really do get the W4, do try the triple flange mod with the top flange cut off and trim the stalk. To me, it sounds the best! :)

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #20 of 31
Haha you're most welcomed! :)
Yup. The W4 is really a stellar IEM which sounds amazing. Coupled with a cable change which in my case, silver dragon cable really showed its potential. I've not heard the SM64 hence can't say much on it.

The 4ai is really a nice sounding and good earphone too. Just that I feel it does not suit your tastes that well. The W4 is simply an all-rounder. For me I had trouble fitting on the 4ai.

If you really do get the W4, do try the triple flange mod with the top flange cut off and trim the stalk. To me, it sounds the best! :)

I've tried to cut the triple flange on the MeeElectronic tips before, but in the end it was kinda uneven so it was uncomfortable. How do you do it?

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #21 of 31
Of the two, I'd pick SM64, Reason being that I feel it's a more balanced, and natural sounding package. The Heir 4.a has it's merits and I would consider it an equal, but to simplify a long paragraph's worth of explanation, I'd pick the SM64 for what I listen to. The Earsonics family of IEM's has long been my favorite brand for a long time and I've tried everything to try to trump them for not just value, but outright performance. I think Earsonics is also stocked by some of the best vendors head-fi has as well. Sound Earphones is my particularly favorite as I've spent quite a bit there and had no hangups and they're great to talk to on the phone if you need buying advice. I've skipped posting threads on production IEM's for a long time since I discovered them.

Thank you for your endorsement Gryphus. I appreciate the support and I look forward to our business.

Oh really? Haha it's quite amazing to see Chris you yourself here! SM64 +1 then ^_^ Sure looking forward to!

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #22 of 31
I've tried to cut the triple flange on the MeeElectronic tips before, but in the end it was kinda uneven so it was uncomfortable. How do you do it?

Hmm. I have no idea about the MeeElectronics triple flange. I was using the triple flange that came with the westones.

To cut it nicely, you'll have to cut it in a single snip of the scissors. From my experience, the scissors should not be very big. Best to use a small scissors such as the nose trimming scissors. Of course it has got to be sharp.

Hold the tip firmly and cut off the top flange in one snip. If there are protruding edges left on the top of the tip, just just the small scissors to trim it off.

But I do feel that after cutting off the top flange, the tip is not as durable anymore and does go out of shape after around 4-5 months of usage.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:
Hmm. I have no idea about the MeeElectronics triple flange. I was using the triple flange that came with the westones.

To cut it nicely, you'll have to cut it in a single snip of the scissors. From my experience, the scissors should not be very big. Best to use a small scissors such as the nose trimming scissors. Of course it has got to be sharp.

Hold the tip firmly and cut off the top flange in one snip. If there are protruding edges left on the top of the tip, just just the small scissors to trim it off.

But I do feel that after cutting off the top flange, the tip is not as durable anymore and does go out of shape after around 4-5 months of usage.

Ah i see. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #25 of 31
Guys what about the Westone 4 comparing with the SM64? Looks like its clear that the heir isn't my cup of tea... 

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #26 of 31
Hi gryphus i won't buy the earsonics it seems it shares same build quality issues as the sm3v2 and they are serious issues apart warranty is one year and not a great service at all check the sm3v2 forum as a sm3v2 owner i know what im talking about

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #27 of 31
Grab the SM64 and you will never regret on it. I can not give you any specific comparison between the W4 and SM64 as it seems I experienced the inconsistency on sound quality of the W4. I had chance to try at least 3 pairs of W4 and all of these are different in sound wise. However, no matter what pair of W4 you will pick to compare, I will always pick the SM64 for the rumble bass you will never heard in any BA drivers iem, the lush + warm mid range and you will never worry about harsh treble or sibilance issue.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #30 of 31
Sure would definitely like to hear a comparison between those 3! Thanks!!!

= M6 =
Strong bass (that is a bit boomy) with bright, clear & detailed mids emphisized right at acoustic guitar / female vocal, with enough highs for decent cymbals / high-hat - not much in between. Narrow soundstage with limited dynamics in the presentation (a sound is being directed at my ear drums effect).

Overall, a fun sounding set that doesn't any make any bad mistakes.

= SM64 =
Strong bass too, but extending much lower but without any boomy mid-bass. Broad and balanced mids (no specific peeks or emphasis), with clean & clear highs that are well extended (and everything in between). Wide soundstage with a very open and dynamic presentation.

Not surprisingly, the 64s sounded better regardless of the genre or recordings quality. The M6, (with its emphasized mid-bass and mid-mids) seemed to compare best with electronic music.

The biggest difference is realism. The M6 delivery while fun never really convinces. Track after track the SM64 took the M6's performance and brought it to life. Suddenly it was like I was at the club, or concert hall, or getting to sit in at the studio as the artist's performance was being recorded.

The SM64 is a warmer sound than the M6, and yet beats it in clarity and detail everywhere except right where the M6's mids peak.

On bright or poorer quality recordings I found the M6 fatiguing and the '64s easier to listen to and more forgiving.

I'm working on a SM64 vs. W4 shootout that I'll post seperately.

-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back