HEEEEEEEEEELP!!! - Upgrade -
Mar 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ilgello

100+ Head-Fier
I am in need or some serious upgrades, I have an hd600 (which I love), the amp is a little dot mk III and my sources are a beresford 7510 mk4 or an emu 0404 usb.

Budget is around 1000$, I have been looking through different sections of the forum for a while now and I have seen a few new interesting products I didn't know about (schiit, Orto, etc).

I like my senn signature and I dislike all the grados I tried, tried also the k701 a while ago but didn't have the right amp for them I guess, found them dull.

What do you suggest to buy first ? I saw a nice bargain for some Denon D5000 and I am tempted.

Thanks for your inputs ^^

Gia

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 9
The hifi where indeed on my radar!

Is that DAC so good ? I'll check some reviews, I know that company but bot that particular product.

What do you think about the LYR ? Would be a nice addition to this setup (I might be able to stretch a little) ?

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 9
Yes the dac with that unit is very good. Hard to beat it really for the price. It's somewhat bigger in size, so long as that isn't an issue you'll be fine.

The denon's are very nice but they will not sound that similar to the Seinn's. Like MalV suggested the he-500 is a high end neutral sounding headphone. I owned them and thought the sound was superb. And yes better than the d5k. But ultimately I sold them because they were slightly heavy and had a firm clamp force. I am sensitive to clamp and they would likely never bother you. 

I ended up with the d5k because of the comfort and I prefer a more colored signature with nice impact on the bass and a sparkle to the highs.

Good luck!!

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 9
Can't comment on the dac/amp but audio dg has a good rep.  Orthos will give you the biggest upgrade and I agree with MalVeauX.  It would be hard to beat that.  I can't offer a better suggestion :)

As far as highs go, I'd be impressed if the d5k could best the he-500.  Its mids and highs are supposed to be the highlight of the phone, along with the smooth sound.  I guess what matt is trying to say is that he enjoys the V or smiley shaped signature, which is fair enough.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Can't comment on the dac/amp but audio dg has a good rep.  Orthos will give you the biggest upgrade and I agree with MalVeauX.  It would be hard to beat that.  I can't offer a better suggestion :)

As far as highs go, I'd be impressed if the d5k could best the he-500.  Its mids and highs are supposed to be the highlight of the phone, along with the smooth sound.  I guess what matt is trying to say is that he enjoys the V or smiley shaped signature, which is fair enough.

That's what I was trying to say. Just didn't say it that well...

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the inputs, bought them here http://www.head-fi.org/t/603136/hifiman-he-500-with-he-6-cable, Zenpunk aka Didierhas just been a pleasure to deal with.

Now after days of lurking I think I want an audio-gn nfb-10se/10.2 to run these babies balanced, what do you think ? My little dot mk III can't drive them as expected :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back