Heed CanAmp
Jul 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #2,731 of 2,784
Eesh, I'm behind, Rinthe. Sorry for forgetting about you.
redface.gif

I believe the main differences between the different Dac1 models are their inputs and features, not their sound or performance. USB would be useful if you don't have a digital out from your computer. In fact, if you're just starting, USB would be a good way to go.

Yes, the Dac1 has enough power for the AKG k701 and k702. But a lot of better solutions do. I listened to Cassandra Wilson's new album Silver Pony on the TC Electronics BMC-2. It was plenty loud for me turned up a little past half way. That was using the built in headphone amplifier, not the fancy calibrated output.

I also listened to Overdust's debut album on the Centrance USB dac. It had plenty of power, certainly loud enough turned up just past halfway. (An alternative would be to use the Centrance as a dac and preamplifier and leave the amplifier for something like the CanAmp. The Centrance does a nice job since it is so compact, and so good sounding for its price. And the CanAmp does a good job because it is very good value and mates extremely well with the AKG k701/2.)

Rinthe, if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help. But we should stop hijacking this thread.
bigsmile_face.gif
You can make a new thread dedicated to your headphone quest, or I'd be happy to correspond through email. Send me a pm if you go with either option.

Best wishes.

And long live the CanAmp!

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #2,732 of 2,784
Loudness is not a feature to measure an amp by. There are lots of loud amps. Control and dampening of the headphone to the signal is the thing you want to listen for. The larger diameter drivers need more current to keep the cone rigid. Starting and stopping that driver accurately is where extra current reserves are needed. While opamps can drive a can, they aren't the best option. IMO

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #2,734 of 2,784
After several years with just a Headroom Bithead powering my K701s I finally got a Heed CanAmp.  Not a night and day difference, as amps never are, but the level of enjoyment has greatly increased. I'm also able for the first to clearly differentiate between sources. Interesting to find out that my ipod is SIGNIFICANTLY better than my laptop.

Sound differences with the new amp are primarily bass improvement, especially in quantity, and much more control and impact over all. Acoustic guitars sound real and trumpets are much more controlled and less piercing. Orchestral music is a revelation as there is separation in the instruments and very little of the 'blob' effect that can be heard when listening to a smyphony.

Right now I am running PC>Bithead>Heed>K701s.  Will have to get a new source, obviously.

A very happy camper.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #2,735 of 2,784
Hi guys!

I thought I'd check in as well (see Mr.Arroyo's comment) as I've not been in here nearly as much as I would like.

It's nice to see the thread is still chugging along though.   CanAmp sales are still pretty brisk over the last couple of months.  I attribute that to HeadFi and all of you, creating a buzz about it.
Bob, the importer, just took delivery of some new additions to the Heed Product line.  Obelisk Mono amps, Obelisk dedicated preamp and new DAC.
I don't have a lot of details about them yet and we're preparing to show at the California Audio Show next week.  I'll get back to you with more info once I get up there and get to play with the system for 4 days.

Dan

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #2,737 of 2,784
A new DAC? Please do share the details when they come into your hands!

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #2,738 of 2,784
Hello Miguel!  Great to see you too.  Things are going well here, thanks.

I'll be sure to post about the DAC/Transport combination when I get back from the show.  Will take photos as well.

Dan

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #2,739 of 2,784
Some photos and a link to some writings about the California Audio Show, which was hosted by Constantine Soo of Dagogo.com

Above: Ultrasone Edition 8's in active display with Heed CanAmp

Above: Headphone setup, Edition 8's, CanAmp fed by Heed Obelisk transport and Obelisk DAC

Above: Bob Clarke of Profundo (Heed Importer) listening to main system during final setup/fine tuning of room and system.  Emphasis was on Heed electronics running Trenner & Friedl's Art monitors.  T&F are an Austrian manufacturer of really remarkable speakers.

Above: Heed Audio's Obelisk DAC and Transport. On the lower cube is the Obelisk Preamp and optional power supply.

Above: During the show, it was not uncommon for the room to be filled to standing room only.  We had 3 very busy days!

Our system was really well received and a few people were dialed in to the headphone setup, though most wanted to listen to the main stereo (and really, when the main system was running, it was pretty loud - making it pretty rough for any listening on the headphones).  There are articles going up on Stereophile and Positive Feedback Online publications already.  I've posted some observations about the show on my News and Notes page @ BlackbirdAudio.com.  Please feel free to have a look.

Dan

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #2,745 of 2,784

Quote:
Hi.

I just got the Canamp but it seems to get very hot. Is that normal ?

Raptor

Yes, it's normal.  But that has been fairly well documented in this thread from early on.  The CanAmp operates in Class A, which is to say that from the moment you turn it on, it's running full tilt.  What is not required of it in volume is dissipated in heat.  This is the nature of all Class A amps.

You should also take note that since you just got yours, there is a good 200 hour burn-in period before the amp takes a turn and fully "relaxes", revealing smoother top-end and more open soundstage.  (that's also been observed very early in this thread as well) So give it some time to settle down before really critical listening.

Enjoy the amp!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back