Heed CanAmp
Mar 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2,688 of 2,784
So using now a Little Dot MKIII.
I ave however bought a talisman amp.
I thought the talisman did all that it is reported to do.
Black background, seperation etc.
THe thing just didnt make me smile but it is a far better amp than the Heed in my opinion.
Now you must understand that the heed may have just escaped me for some unknoown reason but I doubt it.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #2,689 of 2,784
Well not sure about your end but Talisman amps are about double the price over here
tongue.gif

Anyway, I'm glad you're found something that makes your K702 sing. Enjoy!

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #2,690 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know someone is going to take your post seriously with you being here for so long hehe. By using 'perfect', you are suggesting that the HD600 won't sound better off higher end gear which I don't think is the case
tongue.gif

No....I am not saying the HD600's won't sound better off higher gear. They can and do sound great with other gear as well.

I just think the CanAmp and HD600 are a perfect match in terms of price, sound and enjoyment. YMMV.

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #2,692 of 2,784
Could someone recommend a set of closed phones or semi closed that match well with this amp? I have a set of K701s but I also want to buy a set of closed/semi closed and I would prefer to just buy the one amp. Price range ~400 for the phones. Thanks!

May 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #2,694 of 2,784
My CanAmp arrived! I'm listening to it now, but it hasn't been burned in yet. And the Fed Ex guy woke me in the middle of my sleep cycle. I'm going to let it cook in to some music while I catch some z's.

May 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2,695 of 2,784

Quote:
Could someone recommend a set of closed phones or semi closed that match well with this amp? I have a set of K701s but I also want to buy a set of closed/semi closed and I would prefer to just buy the one amp. Price range ~400 for the phones. Thanks!

Fischer Audio FA-004's sound great with the Heed.

May 9, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #2,696 of 2,784
So I got some 702's a couple months ago.

Great cans, really like them, right now running them with a Head Direct EF-1 amp.

It sounds at least good, however...the very first time I listened to the 702's with this amp I thought "They need more power". Of course I was used to listening to my Grado 225i's out of this amp which of course gives those easy to drive cans plenty of power. I also understand that the SS of the 702's can be described as a bit "thin" or "anemic". That's part of what I actually like about them (no muddy or too bloated mids/mid bass).

So now, convinced I like the 702's enough to keep them, I'm ready to invest in another amp that might match better with them. The Heed is of course at the top of the list.

So what I want to know is will this thing really drive the 702's, and also will it correct the deficiencies in the 702's sound, namely the somewhat "hard", "brash", "flat" or "glarey" upper mids and highs and the lack of texture or visceral feel in the sound? I don't want to "warm" up the sound or make it softer or more natural necessarily, I just want to tone down the upper mids and highs a bit, flesh them out more and get rid of some of the "dryness" in them. But I want to keep the detail, accuracy, precision, neutrality, and instrument separation the 702's are great for...I don't want to muddy over that.

IOW: Will the Heed give me more power, "soften" the uppermids/highs, and give me a more textured, visceral, and gritty sound without killing the clarity and transparency of the 702's?

Also, where do you buy one? lol I'm in the US and can only find Profundo as a dealer which lists no ordering info.

TIA!

Btw, I'm open to other suggestions for an amp for the 702's (I've heard the Shanling line up is good for them), but no tubes or hybrids: I'm going all SS.

May 9, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #2,698 of 2,784
Thanks Frank, I'll add it to the list (I'm in no real hurry either).

I have to admit that as of late I've been becoming more and more skeptical that different amps even sound that much different from reading things about how they shouldn't and how it's mostly hype.

However, I have a total of 6 different receivers and integrated amps that I've hooked up to the exact same system (FLAC lossless to my DAC Magic) and then tried both my 702's and 225i's with by plugging them into the headphone outs, and I could hear a significant difference with all. Then I did the same with my two external headphone amps, the X-Head and EF-1, and again, good bit of difference between those as well. And either of those two sound a lot better than any headphone out of any receiver/amp. (I did do this before I started to become somewhat skeptical of whether or not amps should really sound different.)

So it seems that I, at least, can hear a difference between different gear (I also can with different tubes in my EF-1), so it seems worth it to try to get a better match with my 702. I also can't believe that this is all just in the imagination of deluded audiophiles: if there really was no difference why are we even here?!

Anyway, I'm not looking to totally change the sound of the 702's because I do like it, I'm just looking to adjust it a little to really make them sing. I also should of added that their bass is no problem at all for me, I find it powerful when needed and otherwise true to how it is in the mix (not over exaggerated like with the 225i's).

May 9, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #2,699 of 2,784
I hear differences also. My Little Dot Mk11 was nice with the 701 and is great with the 840 My outlaw 2150 drives my 701 great but the Matrix brings the 701 to a whole level up. I prefer the tube amp with the 840.  For 270 delivered the matrix is a good buy.

May 9, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #2,700 of 2,784
Yea...I guess I have to just trust my own ears! I think some people just don't as trained of an ear (I don't mean golden ear, just one that knows what to look for) and there is a lot of hype in audio of course. But to think all amps sound the same...? Nah. I could see that price isn't that big of a deal (but then I've never had any real high end stuff), that a good $300-$500 headphone amp will sound almost as good as the most expensive out there, but I think even cheap gear just has different SS (sound signatures).

Anyway, reading a little more about the Heed and I don't like hearing that it might be somewhat slow or sluggish. I find the 702's mid-paced (the 225i's are more hyper paced or energetic) at least with my EF-1. This is fine, but I wouldn't want them slower. I also read that the highs might not be real extended on the Heed. I like nice highs and I don't find the 702's highs too much or sibilant, just a little flat or metallic. It's the tone I want to change, I don't want to muffle them. As for the more powerful bass with the Heed, that's fine, as long as it is still tight/taut/articulate. I don't want fake warm or bloated lower mid bass muddying up the sound disguised as real bass (I've got the 225i's if I want that).

$270 is a nice price. I looked at the Matrix but no reviews yet. Will do later. Also considering a Shanling, any one of the (I think) three made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back