Heed CanAmp
Jan 10, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #2,627 of 2,784
LUXMAN L-507

Just about the only detailed thing I can find about it. My father purchased it when he was still a teenager so yeah...it is quite old. I will probably bring it in to be overhauled soon and keep it to drive the massive speakers he has lying around.

Oh, and I forgot to add it is absolutely gorgeous in person. =D

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #2,628 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having read through a few pages in this thread, I get the impression that the HD600 isn't regarded as a good match for the Canamp, is that so?

Because I have a demo Canamp at my place currently, and I can't see what people are complaining about. It seems to drive both my HD600 and HF-2 with authority.

I'd expect the HD600 to sound at least decent with the Canamp since IIRC Alpar used it during the product's design stage. The Canamp should certainly be able to drive it properly since it is supposed to be best with loads of 64ohms upwards. My understanding is that it isn't optimised for lower impedance phones like Grado's.

The HD650 is bassier than the HD600 so I could certainly see why the full blooded sound of the Canamp may not match as well. I don't own either headphone nowadays though so am speculating.

What I can say about the Canamp is that it drives my HD800's pretty nicely, although it was originally bought for duties with the K701.

At some point soon, I intend to try and do a proper level-matched test between my various amps. Doing comparisons at different playback levels, even if fairly similar, must have some impact on the perception on SQ. Unfortunately, the SPL Auditor I just bought broke down after 2 hours
frown.gif
and I'm awaiting a replacement so won't happen for a while.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #2,629 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamweapon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finally received both canamp and akg 702's. im pretty happy so far even though they have less then 15hours of burn in. i brought them over to my brother in laws place so he could compare them to his grado 325's. i know this isn't exactly fair since his grado's have a ton more burn in time then my akg's. the grado's are definitely more detailed and have a warmness to the music, where as the akg's sound a little bright at the moment. do the akg's develope that warmness sound after a proper burn in?

No. I have the 701's and after 800 hours of burn in are still too bright and harsh to my ears. The detail and sounstage is ridiculous though.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #2,630 of 2,784
Just got my Heed CanAmp in. Quite a bit different experience from my Luxman but it definitely does make it sound a bit more musical. The soundstage seems a bit narrower but deeper compared to my Luxman SQ507x. Might do a quick A-B review (though the probability of someone having the same old Lux is quite low).

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #2,631 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasahara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... The soundstage seems a bit narrower but deeper compared to my Luxman SQ507x. Might do a quick A-B review (though the probability of someone having the same old Lux is quite low).

I would encourage you to let the CanAmp break in first. It's been well documented in this forum that at around 200 hours, it really turns a corner.

Congratulations!

Dan

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #2,632 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Cucuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would encourage you to let the CanAmp break in first. It's been well documented in this forum that at around 200 hours, it really turns a corner.

Good to see you still around and still posting, Dan. I've recently received a complete Heed system to review from a local Head-Fi'er MoT (including a CanAmp, Q-PSU and Dactilus), so I started reading through this thread to acquaint myself with the amp's history.

I'll make sure to burn the whole rig in for 200hrs prior to critical listening.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #2,633 of 2,784
Quote:

Congratulations!

Dan

Thanks Dan! Really liking it already so I cannot wait until my ears have become fully acclimated to the new sound signature.

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #2,634 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to see you still around and still posting, Dan.

Thank you. I really don't stray too far. Head-fi has been a great place for me. Really enjoyed showing at the LA meet last year, as I was able to meet quite a few members face to face. Quality show.

Good luck with the reviewing process. I'm really very fond of what Heed is putting out for components.

Dan

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #2,635 of 2,784
Quick question!

When shutting off the Heed I normally turn the volume off completely and just shut the amp off. This led to a relatively loud "pop," sound coming from my 701s unfortunately. Am I supposed to unplug the phones before cutting power?

Edit - No damage was done it seems.

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #2,637 of 2,784
Quote:

It's probably best to unplug the 'phones as the amp does not mute its output when turning it off.

Thanks for the quick reply! Will be sure to unplug them before flipping the power.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #2,639 of 2,784
I have K702 and I plan to buy Devilsound USB DAC which will feed Canamp which in turn will feed my K702's

Devilsound DAC from here 269 GBP

Heed Canamp from here 299 GBP

Total = 568 GBP for both.

This is a HUUUGE investment for me. (All my music is on my laptop)

Can anyone suggest if this is a good combo and will make me enjoy K702's to fullest ?

I will also use this combo with my SR-325is as well.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #2,640 of 2,784
Fullest? No.

Guys with better gear say the Canamp will drive the K70X quite well. So in perspective it does well for the $$$. That said, I'm finding a CKKIII does a better job
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back