Heed CanAmp
Dec 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #2,581 of 2,784
Ooph, no one is immune to double posts.

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #2,582 of 2,784
From what I've heard, the Canamp and the k702 both require fairly extensive burn-in. This is only from reading because the CanAmp I heard was fully burned in, but more than a couple people said they weren't impressed at first, but later, after maybe 200 hours?, they were. But both should sound a little better after even more hours, perhaps 1,000-2,000?

I know my k702 wasn't done changing at 50-80 hours.

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #2,583 of 2,784
My canamp is second hand and it already burned. But k702 isn't. So I will wait for a decision until it's process finish. Still a little bit disappointed with canamp. May be I am missing that nice tubby sound of mk2. By the way, I am searching which possible upgrade(s) could advance sq for canamp. Using it with emu202 via silver coated copper cables. Which is the most important circle of chain (Better interconnect, clean power source, opamp rolling) ?
confused.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #2,584 of 2,784
Who knows. Just because <insert number> people like the amp, doesn't mean you'll like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for burn in - well I don't believe it at all but give yourself a week of listening before making a decision. My initial listening of the HD650 made me want to put them up for sale. After a day, I started to like them. They had 200-300 hours or something.

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2,585 of 2,784
I believe burn in process, because it has some scientific explanation. But there is also a brain burn in, you are right. That is just miraculous adaptation talent of human body. Even most worst sounds become less disturbing after some time. May be my brain adopt previous set and trying to decode new one now. That's why I can't like so much music as usual. Changing could be stressful.

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #2,587 of 2,784
ulyses, the K702 may not be your cup of tea. I can say without a doubt that the K701/702 mate very well with the Heed CanAmp and it has to be one of my favorite combos under $750 (new price for both) or under $600 (used price for both) combo.

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #2,589 of 2,784
Actualy I like k702. It's mid-treble oriented sound and huge soundstage wery fits to my ears. And there is'nt any midbass hum which I realy hate. Only clean deep bass. I tryed it with my emu202's crapy headphone out and still wery listenable. The only thing I don't like with canamp is metalic and unnatural sound which some times gets wery tiny to my ears and this is not being emu's headphone out even it's pathetic detail level. Ofcourse bass frequencies are fine, but mids and higs mixing some how. These are wery early impressions. K702 burning process can change complately everything.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #2,590 of 2,784
The sound that bothers me the most about the k702 is the harshness around the sibilance range. More than sss, the sh and ch stick out really clearly. But it has softened since I first got the headphones, I've gotten used to it, and I hope more of it is diminished when I actually get a headphone amp. I can't stand this old receiver.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #2,591 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Canamp from a forum member for my k702. It's newest version which have detachable cable. Well it's sound good but not so spectacular for my ears. My k702 prety new (50-80 hours). I know it needs some time for burning in. But for now, my previous Ld mk2 and dt880 combo was better some ways. Btw Canamp doesn't have a power regulation unit. I will try to add some filters and regulators on my electric line. Hope it will work for better sound.

I have about 400 hours burn in on my K701's. Wait till you get 300 hours at least on them. They will sound alot better albit mine are very bright to my ears and harsh at times. I just ordered the CanAmp, so I'm hoping it will help in this area. Can anyone confirm that?

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #2,592 of 2,784
Two days ago I wanted to try something different. I bought a very cheap power cable and plug it to canamp. Whoa, there was a big difference at presentation of sound. Stock power cable presents mid-high oriented sound with some sibilance. But new one is totally bass heavy and warm. I newer expect that a power cable make this much difference. This experiment opened my mind to a new world. I will focus much about power source and cables after this. All canamp owners must try different cables, I think. It's an easy and affordable tweak.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #2,594 of 2,784
Believe or not this change cost me only 3$.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't imagine that hundreds of dollars cables.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #2,595 of 2,784
Ulyses, have a friend help you do a DBT and report back with the results!
smily_headphones1.gif

There has not been one incident EVER where somebody can succesfully identify power cords in a DBT, so chances are what you're hearing is just placebo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back