Heed CanAmp
Dec 10, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #2,566 of 2,784
I really am hoping for a night and day difference.

The Canamp did really well in the leading Finnish Hi-fi magazine, winning the headphone amplifier comparison against Creek OBH-11, Grado RA-1, X-Can V3, Pro-Ject Head and Rega Ear. They especially liked the sense of space the amp delivered which is usually my nr.1 issue when comparing headphones to speakers.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #2,567 of 2,784
Best advice is to stop reading magazines and to stop taking Head Fi's recommendations to heart. What some think is a scale from 1 to 100, I think is 1 to 8.
tongue.gif

So yes, the Canamp is more laid back than my Keces 171 [Corda Swing level amp]. It is warmer than the other which works well with the K701. It can be a bit slow with other headphones but I think it's great with the AKG. My only grips are that it gets hot fast like all Class A amps.

STX v Canamp = Nice difference to me NOW, but not when I first got it. I was actually initially disappointed because I was expecting a huge difference. However, as I put the hours on the unit, I began to enjoy the instrument positioning and separation, something you just don't get with the STX [well you get clouds versus exact locations]. You also have nice decay [a bit slow].

Once upon a time, the Canamp was the only amp for the K701. Now there are other amps which people say works well.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #2,568 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Divvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really am hoping for a night and day difference.

The Canamp did really well in the leading Finnish Hi-fi magazine, winning the headphone amplifier comparison against Creek OBH-11, Grado RA-1, X-Can V3, Pro-Ject Head and Rega Ear. They especially liked the sense of space the amp delivered which is usually my nr.1 issue when comparing headphones to speakers.

WIth the possible exception of the X-Can, it would seem to have been competing with a tide of mediocrity in amp terms. That doesnt make the Canamp a poor choice - it simply makes me wonder how successful the magazine was in seeking out other headphone amps.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #2,570 of 2,784
Hello everybody in this great community, my first post here!

I have bought k701's and now I'm seeking for best amp (I'm listening to acoustic rock, etno, and rock mostly) it is obvious that heed canamp is great match with 701.
Does anybody have any experience in comparing it to Xcan-v8p?
Thanks in advance,

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #2,573 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best amp would most definitely not be the Canamp. If you mean under $500 decent amp then it's a strong candidate.

Is the CanAmp the best amp? No.

Does it sound good? Yes.

But if we are considering a headphone amp for less than $500, do you really feel as an owner that it is only "decent"? I'm not sure there could be a "best" headphone amplifier at any price or under $500, but noticing that you, I, and the last poster all listen with AKG k701/2 and the last poster and I share similar music tastes, do you feel any amplifier under $500 is better than "decent" for our purposes?

I hope you see this as a question rather than a loaded question.

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #2,574 of 2,784
Nah it's a good post.

I think the Canamp is still a great amp to match with the K701. However, over the last 3 years or so since it came out, other amps are serious competitors. Even this rather bland looking Keces amp I have delivers the same level of bass, something 99% of people recommend the Canamp for. There is the C2C and the Shanling PH100 which some people seem to like quite well with this headphone. I think the M³ [wall wart] for ~ 385USD would be better than the Canamp.

As for music, I mostly listen to electronica but also listen to rock and metal. Other genres aren't listened to enough [as in years of listening] to mention.

Can't knock the Canamp too hard because it sounds great.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #2,576 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogie7910 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a place to buy this online? I would buy it right now if I could.

Check here.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #2,577 of 2,784
Hello everyone!

Just a heads up for those of you that have been waiting: The latest batch of CanAmps have cleared US customs and the US distributor is shipping orders out to dealers now.
Thank you for being so patient.

Dan
Blackbird Audio/Gallery

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #2,580 of 2,784
I bought a Canamp from a forum member for my k702. It's newest version which have detachable cable. Well it's sound good but not so spectacular for my ears. My k702 prety new (50-80 hours). I know it needs some time for burning in. But for now, my previous Ld mk2 and dt880 combo was better some ways. Btw Canamp doesn't have a power regulation unit. I will try to add some filters and regulators on my electric line. Hope it will work for better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back