Heed CanAmp
Apr 14, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #1,546 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
leener: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...postcount=1189 maybe that's the post you're thinking of
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, that's it. i don't think i've distorted it too much.
According to my experience and judging on others' remarks it looks like this is the direction of what happens to CanAmp during burn-in period ...
and probably soundwise CanAmp "moded à la d-see" is a fully burnt-in amp plus something extra...? you know what i mean?
basshead.gif

P.S. By the way beautiful eyes under d-see, they are not "yours"?

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #1,547 of 2,784
Well I assume if there isn´t bigger difference between amps a modding it will be even smaller differences. Though I can´t mod it I would if I could lol.

So far the bass has gotten tighter is what I can tell currently. I guess I haven´t reached the magic 130h mark yet lol.

Apr 14, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #1,548 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. By the way beautiful eyes under d-see, they are not "yours"?

It's a girl from a bad counter-strike team the leader photoshops all the pictures to the extreme making them look like barbies.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #1,549 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I assume if there isn´t bigger difference between amps a modding it will be even smaller differences. Though I can´t mod it I would if I could lol.

So far the bass has gotten tighter is what I can tell currently. I guess I haven´t reached the magic 130h mark yet lol.

I think for the Heed to be completely "bedded" you better double that 130h mark. 250 hrs is a good bench mark.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #1,550 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think for the Heed to be completely "bedded" you better double that 130h mark. 250 hrs is a good bench mark.

Is it the Heed that needs to be "bedded" or oqvist?

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #1,551 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif
this is rather disappointing. Do you have any plans on modding your CanAmp?

My friend wants to have a go at modding my canamp - I'm a bit hesitant to let him at this stage hehe... I don't want to be too hasty!

Quote:

I'll definitely do this. The RS-1 bloomed after 200 hours and the K701 after 350, I've got all the reason to believe in burn in
smily_headphones1.gif

d-cee - after a couple of hundred hours burn, you might want to A/B mine against yours - let me know. Then perhaps you can share your perspective on the matter.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #1,553 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it the Heed that needs to be "bedded" or oqvist?

Huh?

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #1,554 of 2,784
Quote:

Huh?

I was referring to this thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #1,555 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was referring to this thread:

Yeah I got that but I didn´t got what you meant by bedding me. It sounds almost like a threat. Am I expecting a Hitman soon for some unknown reason lol

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #1,556 of 2,784
Quote:

Yeah I got that but I didn´t got what you meant by bedding me. It sounds almost like a threat. Am I expecting a Hitman soon for some unknown reason lol

Haha! No, that was dw6928's term for "burning in" either your brain burns into the sound of the amp or the amp actually burns in... Kinda the eternal debate on this site!? Chicken or egg question!

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #1,558 of 2,784
Quote:

Morph, I have yet to find anyone who did not feel the Heed had a positive response to the "burn in/bedding" process.

Hmmm...well in that case, hang in there oqvist, else I'll take it off your hands!
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #1,559 of 2,784
Quote:

Morph, I have yet to find anyone who did not feel the Heed had a positive response to the "burn in/bedding" process.

Hi dw..

How have you been since the meet?

I have to weigh in on this issue. You listened to my rig at the meet so you know what it sounded like, and I have to say that the sound never changed from the day I opened the box, to when you heard it two days later or when I sold it.
plainface.gif

I believe there may be a psycho-acoustic burn where you get used to a particular amps sound signature and it begins to sound better and better as you get used to the way it sounds, but I have a big problem with solid state burn in.
plainface.gif

I have burned in a Portaphile V2 maxed, a Hornet, the Heed, and now a GS-1 and have not noticed any significant change in the basic sound signature of any of those amps. I would also like to add that I can hear small variations (and back again) in the sound of all of my amps from time to time and I attribute that to the human factor not to any electrical changes in the amps.
plainface.gif

I spoke to n_maher at the meet and he mentioned that blackgates needed to organize themselves and that takes a while.... he also said that if you don't play the amp for a little while, they loose their organization and need to organize all over again.... but my impression remains that their organization does not change the basic sound signature of the amp. Magic is not going to happen with SS amps.
plainface.gif

Another problem I have is with acoustic memory. Without a direct, on the spot comparison, I could not make an accurate comparison between the Heed I no longer have, and my new GS-1. I may think I remember what the Heed sounded like, but beyond that, unless the differences were glaring, I don't think valid comparisons are possible past the most general of statements. When I had the Heed, I compared it to my Woo3, my M^3, both my portables and Asr's Gilmore Lite with DPS which spent the day attached to my rig at the meet. I think valid comparisons can be made while plugging from one amp to another. I am very skeptical about comparisons made from acoustic memory, especially distant acoustic memory made hundreds of hours later, and that is exactly what people are doing with this burn in phenomena.
plainface.gif

Now please, no one get their panties in a bunch over this. It's just an opinion.
3000smile.gif

Cheers

USG

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #1,560 of 2,784
how are you? when I heard your Heed at the meet you were barely at 48 hours of run in. Mine needed 200+ to really set itself. I was not crazy about the Heed at the stage when you sold your's. Whether I got used to it or its components bedded with each other ( as is indicated by the manufacturer)
it is an unending debate. One thing I can say with certainty:
the Heed I listen to now and the Heed I had at 48 hours are
discernibly different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back