Heed CanAmp
Nov 27, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #467 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man I love this amp! (week 3)

Which amps did you have previously dw6928? (if you don't mind). And c'mon, tell us more juicy details about your love affair...

Nov 27, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #468 of 2,784
throughout this thread (prior pages) I have posted every possible analysis/
review I can think of on this amp, including all my prior amps. just backtrack a little and you will find mine and MrArroyo and Pink Floyd along with other early
Heed owners.

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #471 of 2,784
think he means the NE5532, which is a pretty 'standard' audio opamp I've heard - though I'm not even sure if it actually plays a role in the amplification process of the single, or if it handles something else - anybody care to comment?

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #472 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
think he means the NE5532, which is a pretty 'standard' audio opamp I've heard - though I'm not even sure if it actually plays a role in the amplification process of the single, or if it handles something else - anybody care to comment?

It is in the signal line, that IC provides voltage amplification. However, please do not be fooled with its price, because:

- if an IC is expensive, than it means that it isn"t manufactored in great numbers. Costs/item are higher. NE5532 is definitly manufactured in great numbers (and in many versions too!). I am not saying, that a very expensive BBxxx or ADxxx couldn't be better, but the equtation is definitely not a linear one.

- Any part of an audio equipment is nothing else, just one part of it. The Heed headamp was manufactured to provide a very high quality and enjoyable sound, as a few of the head-fiers can already testify.

So, the reason I hammering the keybord the second time in this thread: take apart the equipment, analyze it if you want to, but for your own good, do not mod it.

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #474 of 2,784
Well packaged and packed....

First sonic impressions out of the box, and of course relative to my HeadFive and the newly acquired Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD....

1st. Seemingly infinate power with which to amplify any source; And achieves impact and decay even at lower volumes...

2nd. The resolution, clarity, speed and pace are of a combination not found in either my H5 (although I still find much to love with the Corda5) nor the Mapletree, which has its own wonderful clean unique presentation dependant of course, on tube choice and their quality but fails presently in terms of bass quality in comparison, although nearly even in tone and balance .

3rd. Wonderfully sweet HFs with air and detail thru both their midrange, to match the mapletree and likewise hardly ever sibilant except when I imagine it's the singer or due to the recording,
SACDs DAC "Ss's" ; noted only twice now, and even then sounding like it was the singer (source) and not treble breakup due to the amplification....

I'm reminded by something said, I'll attribute to mraroyo (if not Boommana(sp)) with referance to a comparison with the MF X3 aside the Heed : "I think I need to look into better tubes"... in my case of course, for the MAD... The Heed CanAmp effect ;-}

Highly recommended folks! indeed Heeds the real deal!!!

Thanx again, PinkFloyd & mraroyo, DAN @ Blackbird Audio and HEED! A marvelous component at a remarkable price!

Gear used: K-701s, Sony ce595 SACD, Blue Jeans LC1s

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #475 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by munkong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if everyone don't care about cheap op-amp

Maybe you guys should read Douglas Self's take on the NE5532

Quote:

"In audio work, the 5532 is pre-eminent. It really is something like the ideal opamp. Distortion is almost unmeasurably low, even when driving 600 Ohm loads. Noise is extremely low; in many applications discrete devices give no significant advantage. (The exceptions being very high and very low source impedances) I have tried several times to make a discrete/opamp hybrid preamplifier, for a moving-magnet RIAA input, that would be quieter than the simple 5532 version. Each time I have failed. This may of course just mean that I am unusually incompetent at electronics, but I think the true reason is simply that the 5532 is very hard to beat."

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's no good. You can bet your bottom dollar that almost every recording you own has gone through an NE5532 at one time or another, they're pretty much industry standard and first class musically.... don't tell an audiophile that you like NE5532 though or he'll think you're mad
biggrin.gif
If it's cheap it "can't" be good..................

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #477 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Bill, I gather it was worth the wait. I am delighted you are delighted.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Got this goofy smile thing goin' on right now my friend!

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #478 of 2,784
the amp was the lone bright light during my knee surgery recovery, other than
the fun I had posting with you and others about the Heed. Keep smiling! The amp only gets better and I mean better by leaps and bounds at about 75-100 hrs.

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #479 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... The resolution, clarity, speed and pace are of a combination not found in either my H5 (although I still find much to love with the Corda5) nor the Mapletree, which has its own wonderful clean unique presentation dependant of course, on tube choice and their quality but fails presently in terms of bass quality in comparison, although nearly even in tone and balance...

In this I am not in agreement. My Mapletree has a far thicker, deeper, and punchier bass than the Heed, and it extends higher IMO.

How many ours in your Mapletree? Are you using the stock tubes? I have only changed the driver from a Sovtek 5751 (which is actually quite good) to a GE 5751 grey plate.

Good luck, and happy listening. Oh and the difference in the Mapletree maybe that mine being 15 months older has blackgate caps which the newer ones do not. But overall the differences are not that much specially when you consider the Mapletree costs about $300 more.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #480 of 2,784
Thanks mraroyo, Pinkfloyd, DAN
Thanks for great advice !!!
600smile.gif

I found good amp because you !!

I can't explain and type with English
but I sure ! this amp is a great amp
it's give me more & more quality

I don't care about cheap or expensive opamp
but I interested in sound quality more than anything
[size=x-small]very very Highly recommend for the newbie
or professional[/size]