Heed CanAmp
Nov 9, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #301 of 2,784
Hi all!

As you can see I am from Hungary, furthermore I know both Alpár and Zsolt Huszti from Heed audio. I had several of their products over the years and time-to-time I visit them to check the news.

If you search for my posts you will find that I am a quite capable DIY-er, actually I graduated as an EE.

I would never mod a Heed product. These products have been engineered to sound good. You think that the power supply can be upgraded? I am sure that Heed built the Canamp with several power supplies and what you have in the box is essentially the best. Regarding topology, and regarding values. (And within the product's price point).

You can make better sounding equipment, but the ballance must be kept. And believe me, with Heed one of the thing you are paying for is that they taking their time to find a balance. So having a different, technically superior (and much more expensive PSU) in itself would not grant you anything. At the end, if you have the time and knowledge, you will actually build a new amp if you go down this street. And for that, you don't need the Canamp at all.

My sincere advise: enjoy it. If you not like it, sell it.

P.s.: Heed audio has gathered many experience in the field of audio engineering, I know some of their theories. Basically, there is a *very* high chance that with modding you would null this knowledge built in their product not knowing the reasons for a particular solution.

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #302 of 2,784
Yes A good advice! I know there is balance and synergy of a particular unit when they are first designed. By suggesting new changes to PS I did not imply that it would invariably lead to improvement. DIY is mostly involve trial and error to see whether some cheap MODs can make a difference in the positive way. Thanks for your advice!

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #304 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
I have the Heed in my hands at last. A thing of minimalist beauty. The burn in
begins tonight.Heed recommends 100 hrs of play!

Where are the pictures? And you should let us know what you think of its sound straight out of the box.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #305 of 2,784
unfortunately Miguel, my digital camera in in Philadelphia with my son who is visiting my alma mater (Penn) and on Monday I have surgery on both of my
knees (torn ligaments) so I will be late with the photos. The good news is I have
about 2 weeks of recovery at home with nothing better to do than post my
brains out about Heed.

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #306 of 2,784
Quote:

unfortunately Miguel, my digital camera in in Philadelphia with my son who is visiting my alma mater (Penn) and on Monday I have surgery on both of my
knees (torn ligaments) so I will be late with the photos. The good news is I have
about 2 weeks of recovery at home with nothing better to do than post my
brains out about Heed.

Best of luck in you upcomming surgery. Keep the positive thoughts and you will do fine. Thank God you are doing that surgery today instead of the 60s, much less invasive techniques nowdays. Have an speedy recovery.

Nov 9, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #307 of 2,784
I had 7 knee operations 1969-1975 from college football. I well remember
pre-arthoscopic surgery. 6 weeks of a full leg cast! And by the way, still
driving my '66 VW with the cast on! Don't tell the cops. Thank you for your kind
words.

Nov 9, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #308 of 2,784
out of the box---first 5 songs---thank you MrArroyo and Pink Floyd for the
best new addition to my setup since the 701s. This has some serious soundstage, instrument separation, bass presence and on and on. I see what
they meant about layers of music not present before. My poor Microamp is going to have to live with someone else.
Let it burn in overnight
More to come
Again thanks to those who turned us on to Heed!

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #309 of 2,784
The Microdac and the Heed seem to love each other right off the bat! I was
unsure of the synergy. I should have known better. 2 great components, a good
audio match is made.

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #310 of 2,784
Quote:

The Microdac and the Heed seem to love each other right off the bat! I was
unsure of the synergy. I should have known better. 2 great components, a good
audio match is made.

I had the same experience with the micro dac it matched very well with the heed. Enjoy your new toy it could not have arrived at a better time. By the way since you are an old VW lover here is a picture that should bring some good memories (notice the peculiar compressor, I have A/C!)

HPIM0589.JPG

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #312 of 2,784
Voltron that is so cool. I drive mine 350 miles a week and most of my co-workers say I am crazy (which I am but not for driving the beetle). I guess that until you have had one you do not know what you are missing.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #314 of 2,784
I don't even think my defroster ever worked let alone have A/C. I know that the
fan for the defroster was regulated by acceleration so that being stuck in NYC
traffic was a nightmare.

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #315 of 2,784
don't know if this is too off topic for this thread, or not... Want to see some of my motorcycle photos from the same period that I road on tour with the Greatful Dead.... J/K (maybe best left to a seperate thread in the lounge) ;-}

Anywoo, I did speak with Dan today and he has expectations of the second shipment of Heeds CA to be arriving shortly... e-mails to be sent out soon upon their arrival to those of us with deposits...

Meanwhile I'll look forward to your initial and developing impressions dw6928 ......

Enjoy-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back