Heed CanAmp: which phones mate well with it?
Jan 29, 2008 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

egokun

100+ Head-Fier
Hi people,

I have an unusual question for you. I currently possess a Heed CanAmp, which I use with my K701 and UM2. Source is usually CD players, or mp3s from PC/iPod lineout.

Now I'm thinking about trying some new headphones, but I'm having a very hard time deciding, because I can't try before I buy. Moreover, when talking about high-end phones (by "high-end" I mean "popular alternatives to K701 in the same price range, or higher"), everyone agrees that the amp you're using plays an important role in determining the sound you'll get from the phones (eg, "the HD600 may seem better than the HD650, but the 650 scales better with equipment and it will ultimately sound better than the 600 with high-end equipment").

So I decided to put the usual question in a different way. It's no more "Which cans if I listen to this and that?", because I've more or less made up my mind about the sound I'm looking for, and the headphones that can give me that. But at the same time, I may stumble upon some good bargain for another phone that I may be interested in (I suppose most of you saw those two Grado HP-1 sold on eBay for a hundred dollars or less, right?), so my question now is: "Which headphones will sound good with my CanAmp, and which ones will be totally wasted?"

If you have a CanAmp, or if you can tell from its technical specs, please try to answer this question. Post impressions on everything you've tried with this amp, on what it can do and what it can not. The CanAmp will be my only amp for quite a while, and I'd like to understand better what I can hope to achieve with it.

Thank you!

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 7
I DO NOT recommend Heed for Grado's. The sound is almost the same as it would come from normal headphone out of anything.

K701's did sound good with Heed.

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I DO NOT recommend Heed for Grado's. The sound is almost the same as it would come from normal headphone out of anything.

Yup, the heed works ok with grados, but it's certainly nothing special. I find that my grados are too sensitive for the heed, picking up a little bit of hiss.

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 7
My Denon D2000 wasn't a match with Heed Canamp, the bass become more bloated, and the high become much crispier... sometimes piercing my eardrums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back