Heed Canamp questions and alternatives?
Jan 7, 2007 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

makasin

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so thanks to all you evil people praising the canamp, I now want one. My question is: How big and heavy is it?
Do you think there would be any damage done to it transporting it on a plane?
I go home from college every quarter and I like bringing my sound setup.
Is there anything eventually problematic.

If so, what would be a good alternative to the canamp in that pricerange that is a bit more transportable (that is, if the canamp is too bulky).

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 18
The CanAmp is compact in size, but make no mistake, it is a substantial, properly-built example of electronic componentry with a manly on-board power supply, so it is definitely not for the faint of heart.

So, yes, in all likelihood, you will be detained, held, and very possibly tortured under various relevant acts of Homeland Security, should you decide to transport it through the U.S. via commercial air transit. But, from everything I've read about the CanAmp (mine is on the way), it should be entirely worth the trouble.
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 18
haha quite honestly i dont know what to say to that...
Is it solid enough that I dont have to worry about putting it in check-in at least?

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 18
If I ever get the chance to travel to an out-of-town meet, (e.g., National), the Heed is probably the only home amp I would be willing to take with me. It's relatively small and sturdy, and I think would travel very well with a little loving care in the packing.

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 18
But seriously folks, I have numerous other little black boxes from Heed Audio (phono stage, preamp, monoblock power amps) and they are rugged little beasties. Care and attention in packing like boomana suggested should see you through!
wink.gif

And hey, makasin, where did you find that 3x 9V battery pack that's in your signature alongside the Creek? I'm looking for just that very thing to pair with my Go-Vibe on the road.

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 18
I made it. I got 3 of those little 9V connectors, connected them in series, and soldered the wired onto a 2.1mm power connector. All of which I bought in Radio Shack. Its probably the easiest DIY project in the world, only takes about 20 minutes, and thats with me playing with a lot of electrical tape.

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made it. I got 3 of those little 9V connectors, connected them in series, and soldered the wired onto a 2.1mm power connector. All of which I bought in Radio Shack. Its probably the easiest DIY project in the world, only takes about 20 minutes, and thats with me playing with a lot of electrical tape.

Great! Thanks for that.
cool.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 18
so anyone have any other ideas? Anything in the 400 range that is good for senn hd650s and grado 225s? I am considering getting a hornet. I am kinda impatient for the canamp since i wont see it in a month and I probably want something a little smaller anyway.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so anyone have any other ideas? Anything in the 400 range that is good for senn hd650s and grado 225s? I am considering getting a hornet. I am kinda impatient for the canamp since i wont see it in a month and I probably want something a little smaller anyway.

I have and really like my Heed, but the EC/SS is an excellent amp as well. I've heard neither with the 225s. I think Todd the Vinyl Junkie sells them now. It might be a little more than $400, but also worth far more than that, IMO. It's also sturdy, and about the same physical size as the Heed, except it's square. I've had the chance to listen to it a few times and if I didn't have the Heed, I'd buy it.

I also ordered a Hornet. I should have it by next week. It, too, is pretty nice with many headphones. At least you make good choices. I also have the Larocco PRII, which is a great little amp, if you're looking for portable, but not necessarily compact.

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 18
The HeadAmp Gilmore Lite is in a similar class as far as price goes ($300 with an Elpac PSU, or $500 with the DPS), but I have no idea how the sound quality compares with the CanAmp. HeadAmp recently had a limited run of Gilmore Lites in black ($500 with the DPS), there might be a few left still if you want to jump on that (check the Member of the Trade Sponsored forum). But even without the DPS, I'm sure the GL would still be awesome, and it has a reported synergy with both Grados and Senns (and other brands too).

The GL is extremely compact, I haven't seen any other home amp that's as small as it. Stack 3 CD jewel cases together and you have the GL form factor right there.
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 18
Eying on the EC/SS for my 225 as well. Although I've never had the pleasure to try it, my first impression on this amp was that as if they designed it especially for Grados. At that very moment, I knew I had to get it. The only thing holding me back is the fact that not many impressions have been made, comparing to our popular Heed Canamp. It is said to have good synergy with RS-1s, so I'm hoping the same with 225s.

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 18
I've heard both the Heed and the EC/SS with Senns and RS-1s. Again, both sounded great, but just with different sound signatures. Check out the FL meet thread from 11/3 when the meet was pretty much devoted to the Heed, EC/SS, and X-Cans II and III.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 18
I can't speak for the Heed, or the Grado's on the EC/SS, but it is really nice with the 650's. On my Eddie Current HD 25 the 650's always sounded a bit lifeless, mushy. I had actually considered selling the 650's. But the EC/SS changed that. It's very detailed, to my ears, and that brought the 650's to life. Not so detailed as to be fatiguing, but definitely solid state.

I just reread that and realize I may not be communicating it too well, but the EC/SS is an amp you wouldn't be disappointed with.

A_Sr.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 18
How would the Gilmore Lite and the EC/SS compare?

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 18
How does the GL compare to the heed/ EC/SS with and without the dedicated supply? I am thinking of getting a GL and getting a supply later. Is that a good investment? What can I expect of the GL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back