Heed Audio Dactilus anyone?
Aug 1, 2008 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

karnov

New Head-Fier
I'm curious about HEEDs DAC, but there's not much talk about it. Anyone here who've got any experience with it?

Dactilus tech. spec.

• Frequency response (3 Hz – 21 kHz):+/-0.5 dB

• THD (at 0 dB, 1 kHz):0.09 %

• Dynamic range: 96 dB

• S/N.: 96dB (A-weighted)

• Channel separation:90 dB

• Output level at 0 dB:1,25 Vrms
• Resolution/Sampling 24 bits / 96 kHz

• Format: 1-bit, Delta/Sigma Convertion

• Digital inputs: 1x75 Ohm Coax (SPDIF) / 1x Toslink

heed.jpg

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by karnov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious about HEEDs DAC, but there's not much talk about it. Anyone here who've got any experience with it?

Help us out of our missery and be the first one to write a review on it after you have tested one.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 34
biggrin.gif
Would be great if someone took the plunge. Does this unit have an official US dealer? I didn't even know it existed til now, is it new?

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 34
It's not listed on HEEDs website, maybe it's an old product?

If you google it you get mostly german sites. Tho it's probably super awsome, it looks like a mysterious black monolite.
k701smile.gif

On a more serious note: I'm gonna try to go visit the Swedish dealer next week and listen to it. The price is €400, if anyone was curious.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 34
Ok, it's a new product... Explains why I've seen no threads about it!

E-mail froom Heed:
The Dactilus is a real NEW product of Heed line.
It is a one box D to A converter which can be upgrade by the Q-PSU power supply. (The
same power supply as the Quasar's PSU)

regards,
Zsolt Huszti

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 34
So any impressions of this one yet?

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 34
Yeah thought it would strange seeing how popular the Canamp was or maybe still is.

Specs wasn´t the best signal to noise ratio but then they maybe are more honest with them then most. Wonder if it´s built so it´s stackable can be put underneith the Canamp. Seem to share the same casing

May 27, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 34
Hi guys,

I see that there is interest in the DACtilus here too.
There is a Heed importer for the U.S. it's Profundo, out of El Cerrito, California. Heed is among a few really great brands that he brings in for us.

I am (Blackbird Audio/Gallery) a Southern California dealer for Heed. Some of you may know me from the CanAmp threads.
I'll be sharing a table with Bob from Profundo at the Can Jam meet in L.A. this weekend (May 30-31, '09). Along with other Heed products, I plan on bringing out the DACtilus for use there too.
I guess there is a simpler, very basic power supply available in some areas for this DAC. However, the US importer felt that the performance bump of the Q-PSU power supply (as mentioned by the Heed designer and co-owner Zsolt Huszti) is a real enhancement that really lets the DACtilus open up and "breathe" music into the room. This being the case, it's only being offered state side with the bigger power supply.

Inquiries can be made with the importer for a dealer near you. E-mail Bob at bclarke3@profundo.us but just give him a little while to get back to you as he's in Munich this week, visiting accounts and won't be back for another couple of days.

Mention to him that you heard about the DAC at Head-Fi and he'll point you in the right direction - or you can check with me by private message here or at dan@blackbirdaudio.com as I know who is where and can't (won't) ship into another dealer's territory. Please let me know as well, that you're from Head-Fi.

For reference, here are some photos for you:

DACtilus.JPG

BackDACtilus.JPG

External power supply, inside view:

HeedPowersupply.JPG

May 28, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 34
Can you tell me what the front panel cosmetics are like on the Dactilus (i.e textured or gloss?). I cannot tell from any of the photos I have seen. I just ask because I am not a fan of gloss finishes and I think cosmetics should matter to a buyer at this price point
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell me what the front panel cosmetics are like on the Dactilus (i.e textured or gloss?). I cannot tell from any of the photos I have seen. I just ask because I am not a fan of gloss finishes and I think cosmetics should matter to a buyer at this price point
smily_headphones1.gif

It's an acrylic faceplate with black back to it so it's glossy.

May 30, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by karnov /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dactilus tech. spec.

• Frequency response (3 Hz – 21 kHz):+/-0.5 dB

• THD (at 0 dB, 1 kHz):0.09 %

• Dynamic range: 96 dB

• S/N.: 96dB (A-weighted)

• Channel separation:90 dB

• Output level at 0 dB:1,25 Vrms
• Resolution/Sampling 24 bits / 96 kHz

• Format: 1-bit, Delta/Sigma Convertion

• Digital inputs: 1x75 Ohm Coax (SPDIF) / 1x Toslink

Dynamic range of 96db = ~16bits <> 24 bits
THD = 0.09% is bad for 1984 figures my 1984 CD63 did much better than that !

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 34
Does it only handle 96khz 24-bit? Or is that just its maximum sample rate and bit depth? Does it know to switch automatically if it is sent a different sample rate?

Also, it appears there is a left and right RCA SPDIF in? Does this mean the DACtilus is a "dual mono" DAC? Or is one a SPDIF in and the other SPDIF out? This is important to me, since my EMU 0404 PCI soundcard only has one RCA SPDIF send, not two.

There is a frustrating lack of reviews and pictures of the DACtilus online, and it's not even on Heed's website (still). Thanks for your pictures and information, Dan.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it only handle 96khz 24-bit? Or is that just its maximum sample rate and bit depth? Does it know to switch automatically if it is sent a different sample rate?

Yes

Quote:

Also, it appears there is a left and right RCA SPDIF in? Does this mean the DACtilus is a "dual mono" DAC? Or is one a SPDIF in and the other SPDIF out?

Innie, outie. But you can also connect a Toskink in addition to the RCA input and toggle between them with the switch on the back.

Quote:

This is important to me, since my EMU 0404 PCI soundcard only has one RCA SPDIF send, not two.

So noted. Innie, outie.

Quote:

There is a frustrating lack of reviews and pictures of the DACtilus online, and it's not even on Heed's website (still). Thanks for your pictures and information, Dan.

That's because it's a "newer piece" and Heed is in the throws of bringing to market quite a few new products: A stand-alone preamp, based on the Obelisk platform (Half width components) that can take a DACtilus DAC card and a Phono card as options, a Stereo amp, Mono amps a new CD Player and have, in the works plans to distribute their speakers in the US as well. I've had a set here and they are really a great deal of fun to listen to.

On top of all of this, they are working furiously to get product out to their distributors so we can sell it to complete the circle. As things settle down, they and their importers, will work at putting products into capable reviewer's hands for evaluation/articles.
There was a interesting comment made by the folks at Stereo Mojo from CES this past January.

Remember that conversation we had about how the speakers can only put into the room as good as you can feed them? I'd like to think that system was being fed quite well from the CEC belt drive transport connected to the Dactilus - but then, I carry most all of that set up - save the transport.

My Dactilus was in the rack, a shelf or two down from my Basis turntable when you were here, auditioning the CanAmp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back