HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jun 28, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #4,036 of 4,472
So I have contacted vesper audio to get some custom ear pads made. While I have a general idea of just what I want to get done (need to change the interior radius a bit so my ear lobes don't rest on the bottom of the pads mostly) I have seen a few suggestions here and there about things like perforated leather helping the bass response etc. Since I can't crawl the entire thread that quickly, is there anyone who has input on what sort of things may or may not alter the sound signature in a positive (or negative) way? I'm mostly getting these to increase comfort and add a bit of style to the look, but don't want to get carried away and ruin something sound related. Thanks for any help.

Jun 29, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #4,037 of 4,472
So I have contacted vesper audio to get some custom ear pads made. While I have a general idea of just what I want to get done (need to change the interior radius a bit so my ear lobes don't rest on the bottom of the pads mostly) I have seen a few suggestions here and there about things like perforated leather helping the bass response etc. Since I can't crawl the entire thread that quickly, is there anyone who has input on what sort of things may or may not alter the sound signature in a positive (or negative) way? I'm mostly getting these to increase comfort and add a bit of style to the look, but don't want to get carried away and ruin something sound related. Thanks for any help.
Make sure to get the inside of the earpads perforated like the stock ones to maintain the sound signature but keep the rest whole (not perforated). Angling the pads may also change the sound. Cooling gel should make a negligible difference to the sound.

edit: a list of possibilities:
HEDDphone
21) Perforated Leather + memory foam + cooling gel + angled
22) Perforated Leather + memory foam + cooling gel
23) Perforated Leather + cooling gel + angled
24) Perforated Leather + cooling gel
25) Leather + memory foam + cooling gel + angled
26) Leather + memory foam + cooling gel
27) Leather + cooling gel + angled
28) Leather + cooling gel
29) Alcantara + memory foam + cooling gel + angled
30) Alcantara + memory foam + cooling gel
31) Alcantara + angled
32) Alcantara

Jun 29, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #4,038 of 4,472
Make sure to get the inside of the earpads perforated like the stock ones to maintain the sound signature but keep the rest whole (not perforated). Angling the pads may also change the sound. Cooling gel should make a negligible difference to the sound.

edit: a list of possibilities:
HEDDphone
21) Perforated Leather + memory foam + cooling gel + angled
22) Perforated Leather + memory foam + cooling gel
23) Perforated Leather + cooling gel + angled
24) Perforated Leather + cooling gel
25) Leather + memory foam + cooling gel + angled
26) Leather + memory foam + cooling gel
27) Leather + cooling gel + angled
28) Leather + cooling gel
29) Alcantara + memory foam + cooling gel + angled
30) Alcantara + memory foam + cooling gel
31) Alcantara + angled
32) Alcantara
Thank you! The general design I've come to thus far, look wise, is a somewhat straightforward whitewall tire kind of look (black outer ring, white face side/interior) with interior perforated, memory foam, and cooling gel. I want to keep the thickness the same so I don't mess with the driver distance from the ear drums. Beyond that I basically just need more room opened up on the inner ring so my ears fit a bit better. It appears that to get cooling gel the face pad part has to be leather, unless I misread something in their response of available options.

Edit: Also out of curiosity, what does the latex filling do sound wise? I assume it is offered for sonic purposes, but don't know how a latex filling would affect anything either positively or negatively.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #4,040 of 4,472
In terms of just sound- this is one of the best headphones I ever heard- price no object; including comparisons to SR-009, Susvara, 1266TC, LCD-5, etc... . In terms of comfort, these are not just one of the worst- but the absolute worst headphones I ever had on my head.
Take some getting used to.

But worth it.

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #4,042 of 4,472
In terms of just sound- this is one of the best headphones I ever heard- price no object; including comparisons to SR-009, Susvara, 1266TC, LCD-5, etc... . In terms of comfort, these are not just one of the worst- but the absolute worst headphones I ever had on my head.
You must not have ever tried a Grado headphone, lol. So extending the headband all the way and rotating the swivel cups doesn't give you a good/decent fit?

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #4,043 of 4,472
waiting for V2. i think it is coming soon..
And that is based on?

Rocking the LCD-X now, making me nostalgic for the HEDDphone.. there's something about the AMT drivers that move air so quickly and effortlessly. But the LCD-X is just a little cleaner in the upper region.

Jul 8, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #4,044 of 4,472
And that is based on?

Rocking the LCD-X now, making me nostalgic for the HEDDphone.. there's something about the AMT drivers that move air so quickly and effortlessly. But the LCD-X is just a little cleaner in the upper region.
I asked the company and they told me they have something in the works- but could not comment more than that.

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #4,045 of 4,472
I asked the company and they told me they have something in the works- but could not comment more than that.
fair enough.

Going back to the HEDDphone I am missing that 6khz energy, the LCD-X tonally sounds more complete to me but is missing the AMT driver delivery.
If they could raise that 6khz valley I am sure they would be onto a winner.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #4,047 of 4,472
Not too long ago I picked up the T+A Solitaire P-- it's the best headphone I've ever owned, or even heard-- but the HEDD is still excellent and holds its own. I'm still happy to own the HEDD. Perhaps the best headphone at timbre I've heard, and great at instrument separation too.

Glad to hear there might be a (better ergonomically?) revision coming down the pike.

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #4,048 of 4,472
I received no timetable or details;- only that they were working on a new headphone and that they are aware of the comfort complaints.

It may never come out, it make take 5 years, it may be tomorrow. I do not know and do not want to create false expectations. based on false information.

Aug 4, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #4,050 of 4,472
HEDDPhone back on my head and sounding the best it ever has. I am using a Gladiator cable with Copper Litz and a Silver Litz core - it really helps add just that bit of treble which I always felt was missing. Everything sounds more immediate and clean. Cymbals have that real sheen and shimmer, which as a drummer I was always missing.

As it is I still think the HEDDPhone is neutral-warm with that 6Khz valley, but it is a neutral-warm that I can really live with. Keen to compare these to the Final Audio D8KPro and Meze Elite (and maybe Utopia!) - I think with the right cable the HEDDphone could hold its own. The lack of treble sharpness can be really welcome, unless you are feeling analytical.

For those with comfort issues, try out the ZMF Crescent Snap headband cover. I have had no comfort issues with the HEDDphone since it has the Crescent Snap on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back