HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 11, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #3,152 of 4,489
Sorry if it has already been written in one of the 210 pages, but has someone directly compared the Abyss 1266 TC to the Heddphone not just at meets but at home for a long period of time ? Looking for an open TOTL headphone, I already have the ZMF VC which I love and will keep when closed back is needed and want also a can that sounds close to speakers listening (it seems the 1266 TC is close to that). Every input welcome ! Thanks a lot and happy new year to all !
You might want to try the SR1a instead to obtain a nice contrast with the VC.

However, the TC is simply far better across the board.

The real caveat is you'll need to experience both on your head to feel their fit. It will be a make or break regardless of the sound.

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #3,155 of 4,489
Could get a Dana cable Reference and it’s only the second time( Kimber AXIOS with HD800S, the first one) that a cable took me by surprise and the improvement was just obvious.
Always liked the stock cable and even bought the XLR from Hedd, also have the Toxic Black Widow and ALO Reference but the Dana is a different level.
Everything is super smooth with immense texture and saturation( in a good way), not to mention that the soundstage seems to be slightly wider and deeper.
As someone mentioned earlier, we just need to consider cables as important as anything else in a system setup...they shouldn’t be an afterthought.

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3,156 of 4,489
Finally received my 3.5 to Heddphone adpaters from Affinity Cables (Adapters). They are an Ebay seller who creates cables and adapters for headphones. He already had a 3.5 to Audeze adapter. I asked if he could make it for the Heddphone. He reached out to Hedd in Germany and received the wiring scheme, then created a new listing. Now I can use the plethora of 3.5 cables I have with my Heddphone.

Here is the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifiman-SE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Unknown-3.jpeg

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #3,157 of 4,489
... He reached out to Hedd in Germany and received the wiring scheme, then created a new listing...
Corrects the 'phase inversion' problem?

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #3,160 of 4,489
I recently got mine heddphone. What I can say? The heddphone have a phenomenal detail retrieval and textural nuance representation. They also have well defined stage depth. Since I switched from Audio-Technica AD2000x to them, the heddphone is a big step up in sound quality for me. What I learned from other people is that the heddphone need a high quality, powerful solid-state amplifier. If you have one you will enjoy the heddphone sound. When I read others thoughts and opinions about the heddphone I also paid attention to amplifier they use to drive the heddphone. If somebody uses an amp with output power for 42 ohms less than 1W RMS per channel he mentions that the heddphone sound with a lack of low frequencies or sound with less pronounced/extended bass/sub bass. In other words, if an amp doesn't provide with enough power and control, the heddphone won't be able to show you what they are really capable of. As for me, I use a DAC and an amplifier from Schiit Audio. I have Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC and Schiit Ragnarok 1 amp which have plenty of power (about 12W RMS per channel into 42 ohms) and control to drive properly the heddphone.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #3,161 of 4,489
It's a few weeks now I am using the heddphone at home with A&K Kann Alpha which is supposed to offer 12V output voltage so more or less 3W at 42ohms (I think a bit less than 2x1.4W in real world). I am not sure available power is the only point, I am afraid that available peek voltage (20V or more 2) and high-end capacitors are more important.

Unfortunately the Kann Alpha can be in the same time :
1) a rather nice portable DAP, which can clearly drive well the Heddphone (80 to 90% of my hires files), though when connected via a Toslink fiber to an external amp like THX887, there is still a noticeable margin in the low and ultra low frequencies kicks (same volume level with the internal Kann Alpha amp and an external amp like a Thx 887) !!
2) a real pain to use dap, with wifi cuts every 15 minutes while streaming synology NAS or QoBuz files !!!

I haven't found any portable DAP on the market to be free at home to move and listen music where I want connected to the Heddphone...
The only option left for me :
1) the Centrance M8V2 Dac/Amp with my WM1A (should be at home next week) 750$
2) the future iFi Diablo ... which can be used with WM1A 1K$
3) the very promising Cayin C9 but the 2K$ just for an amp, it needs to tested deeply before buying such option, as it is a niche market for reselling it if needed.

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #3,163 of 4,489
I’m asking you? I bought a cheap Audeze balanced cable off Amazon for my Heddphone and it definitely has less bass than the stock cable.
That‘s true, but not because of the materials changing the signal - AUDEZE uses a different connection scheme.

Therefore AUDEZE cables are polarity reversed on both cups relative to HEDD cable (very good decision, HEDD, thank you!).

A “reversed polarity” (the technically correct term), or “reversed absolute phase“ or “Inverted Phase” as it’s sometimes called, can sound different in the bass, often a bit lighter in the sub and a bit harder in the mid-bass.
It depends on the recording what effect happens.

I‘m using the RME ADI-2 Pro to evaluate this, it has a switch function called “Phase Invert“.

This may not be mixed with reversed polarity on ONE SIDE only, which is simply a fault and sounds weird.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #3,165 of 4,489
I’m asking you? I bought a cheap Audeze balanced cable off Amazon for my Heddphone and it definitely has less bass than the stock cable.

Did you buy a cable made by Audeze? As far as I know the cheapest cable made by Audeze costs $150. If you bought a cable made by somebody else and compatible with Audeze headphones, could you please provide with a link? The cheapest original Audeze cable made of 20 AWG high-purity OCC audio-grade copper wires for low impedance and high current capacity. I doubt that the stock cable made of 20 AWG copper wires. That is why other heddphone users recommended to replace the stock cable as soon as possible. At least nobody who replaced the stock cable with a better one complained about sound deterioration in mentioned aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back