HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #3,106 of 4,480
Amir's measurements agree well with oratory1990's...🤷

In any case, quality control still has room for improvement.
Mine needs to be replaced.
The left joint is much more difficult to move...

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #3,107 of 4,480
Luckily my model is overall fine, regarding build quality. A model from around may, with the longer hinge.
It does squeak a little bit when moving the cups and the right cup could be cushioned a bit more even.
They still haven't replaced the stiff cable making microphonics?

Will be interesting to see, what the next flagship model will weigh and what it will cost. The amt-design can't be easily downsized as with dynamics or planars, thus making it lighter will result in a hefty price increase for materials, magnets etc.
Right now the heddphone one is basically flagship for half the price of the Utopias, Audezes.
With only the weight and comfort being lower than average.

I fiddled around a few more hours with the different P-EQ from cringe, oratory, jude, amirm.
Got 9 different settings now with Apo + Peace :ksc75smile:
Getting close in making the overall presentation more "even", without abandoning the overall tonality of what the developers intended, as it happens with simply amplying amirms, oratory's or someone elses P-EQ.

This contest of "which curve is "better"", the dozens of diffuse field, harman, etymotic is getting ridiculous in a funny way.
The ranking and recommendation "preference score ranking chart based on x" should be not supported.
People will start making buying decisions on that stuff, instead of going in a hifi-shop and testing the headphones themselves.
:L3000:

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #3,108 of 4,480
I'm disappointed with the handmade in Germany quality.
First the paint damage on the bracket, and now that.
Now I have to send the Headphones back to the dealer, who sends them to Hedd, where the errors will be corrected.
I am also disappointed with this approach.
I would have expected a direct exchange ...

The Cable is an impertinence.
Tomorrow I will build another one out of my beloved B&W Signature Cable.

m2a364ik.jpg

If anyone is interested in such a cable, please write to me.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3,109 of 4,480
Replacement unit from the dealer or from the manufacturer, is based on national laws of the country.
For example in germany, it is the dealer first you have to contact and ask for a replacement; not mandatory for the manufacturer to provide a replacement unit.

If it was only the paint damage, I'd ask for a discount :D

What cable will you make? The one in the photo looks very nice!
If anyone has a xlr- cable for the heddphone (which is made in-phase, with the pin 3 polarity changed, not as with the xlr-cables for audeze, polarity reversed), I'd take it^^

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #3,110 of 4,480
Yes, I am building the cable in the photo.
The B&W Signature is the perfect headphone cable for me.
It is very thin, super soft, and therefore feels very comfortable.
For me a headphone cable has to be as inconspicuous as possible.
Which plugs come to the player side can be done individually

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #3,111 of 4,480
I understand that many people won't make any EQ with the Heddphone as it is already a great pleasure as it is. So sorry for them, that I publish this rather long post.

But, for those who wants to explorer some more details in the sound, as there are some margin in the 5.5/6Khz and a bit at 10khz, I will just put some of my non-professional measurements that I tried today with a MiniDSP Ears with and without EQ.

The setups I tried were those, all connected to my PC with REW and to the Heddphone with a 4.4mm to 2x XLR balanced ultra low capacitance cable :
1) SMSL M500 (USB DAC Input and 2 XLR output ) + Monolyth THX887 (2x XLR intput XLR4 to 4.4mm output)
2) MiniDSP HA-DSD (DAC 3.5mm output) + Monolyth THX887 (3.5mm unbalanced input to 4.4mm output)
3) FIIO M11 (USB DAC with 4.4mm output) + Monolyth THX887 (2 x XLR input to 4.4mm output)
4) FIIO M11 (USB DAC with 4.4mm output) + PA3S+4.4MM with 2W (Balanced 2.5mm input, 4.4mm Output to Heddphone)

So first .. for frequency response, I can't see any real difference, even if, unfortunately, under 40hz, in my office there are plenty of low frequencies with a high noise floor (walking people, lift, air conditioner, wind, etc). My measurements are made in a placard and not a well close cabinet with a real noise protection from outside.
So, actually I can never get twice measurements between 10hz and 40hz even with the same config in less than 1-minute time difference.
But, I would clim that every config looks similar (and THD not really different too)
1592319704128.png

Then I could test some PEQ config based on the autoEQ parameters made by Oratory1990 and some of my own parameters.
For this, I use a Minidsp HA-DSP, which make easy to input PAQ data and measure them quite instantly.

Sowe we can see the 3 frequency response which are rather different and confirmed by my own ears :smile::smile: .. of course my favourite sound is under NW666 PEQ :grin::grin:
1592319612844.png

THD with no EQ
1592322040379.png

THD with AutoEQ from Oratory1990
1592322082002.png

And EQ made basically with the Oratory1990 parameters and adapted to my own taste
1592322126180.png

But what I can't show with those measurements is the difference in real life between M500 as DAC and Monolyth THX 887 as amp with 6W , compared to an amp like the PA3S+ with 2W => lower frequencies are definitely better to listen with more watts available (I suspect peak power is a big factor and can be more important than the sustain power itself for low frequencies).

As my freedom to listen to good music anywhere I want in my own home is very important for me => I ordered and I am waiting for one more new model of portable amp with the CETRANCE M8 V2. It seems to be able to produce till 20V in peaks and probably 1.4W (sustain at 32 Ohms).

I think my actual PA3S+4.4mm is a cheap amp manufactured in China and probably far from the 2W as announced by the manufacturer and it is probably very far beyond what the Heddphone needs as peak power (which can be produced easily with the THX 887).

So this was my non-pro contribution, for people enjoying adapting a bit their headphones sounds to their own taste... of course I wouldn't claim it to be essential in the Heddphone situation, but i think it's worth to explore as they are many tools available PC or DAP.
I understand that many people won't make any EQ with the Heddphone as it is already a great pleasure as it is. So sorry for them, that I publish this rather long post.

But, for those who wants to explorer some more details in the sound, as there are some margin in the 5.5/6Khz and a bit at 10khz, I will just put some of my non-professional measurements that I tried today with a MiniDSP Ears with and without EQ.

The setups I tried were those, all connected to my PC with REW and to the Heddphone with a 4.4mm to 2x XLR balanced ultra low capacitance cable :
1) SMSL M500 (USB DAC Input and 2 XLR output ) + Monolyth THX887 (2x XLR intput XLR4 to 4.4mm output)
2) MiniDSP HA-DSD (DAC 3.5mm output) + Monolyth THX887 (3.5mm unbalanced input to 4.4mm output)
3) FIIO M11 (USB DAC with 4.4mm output) + Monolyth THX887 (2 x XLR input to 4.4mm output)
4) FIIO M11 (USB DAC with 4.4mm output) + PA3S+4.4MM with 2W (Balanced 2.5mm input, 4.4mm Output to Heddphone)

So first .. for frequency response, I can't see any real difference, even if, unfortunately, under 40hz, in my office there are plenty of low frequencies with a high noise floor (walking people, lift, air conditioner, wind, etc). My measurements are made in a placard and not a well close cabinet with a real noise protection from outside.
So, actually I can never get twice measurements between 10hz and 40hz even with the same config in less than 1-minute time difference.
But, I would clim that every config looks similar (and THD not really different too)
1592319704128.png

Then I could test some PEQ config based on the autoEQ parameters made by Oratory1990 and some of my own parameters.
For this, I use a Minidsp HA-DSP, which make easy to input PAQ data and measure them quite instantly.

Sowe we can see the 3 frequency response which are rather different and confirmed by my own ears :smile::smile: .. of course my favourite sound is under NW666 PEQ :grin::grin:
1592319612844.png

THD with no EQ
1592322040379.png

THD with AutoEQ from Oratory1990
1592322082002.png

And EQ made basically with the Oratory1990 parameters and adapted to my own taste
1592322126180.png

But what I can't show with those measurements is the difference in real life between M500 as DAC and Monolyth THX 887 as amp with 6W , compared to an amp like the PA3S+ with 2W => lower frequencies are definitely better to listen with more watts available (I suspect peak power is a big factor and can be more important than the sustain power itself for low frequencies).

As my freedom to listen to good music anywhere I want in my own home is very important for me => I ordered and I am waiting for one more new model of portable amp with the CETRANCE M8 V2. It seems to be able to produce till 20V in peaks and probably 1.4W (sustain at 32 Ohms).

I think my actual PA3S+4.4mm is a cheap amp manufactured in China and probably far from the 2W as announced by the manufacturer and it is probably very far beyond what the Heddphone needs as peak power (which can be produced easily with the THX 887).

So this was my non-pro contribution, for people enjoying adapting a bit their headphones sounds to their own taste... of course I wouldn't claim it to be essential in the Heddphone situation, but i think it's worth to explore as they are many tools available PC or DAP.

newworld666 thank You for Your great job. I would be grateful if You coud explain me how those THD graphs works. I have only seen THD graph with % scale. Could You please explain how to read it? I have seen last THD graphs from Amirm from ASR... Amirm showed that HEDDphones are just horrible in this aspect. I am curious if his measurements are wrong or they dont differ from Yours :) Would be greateful for Your response !

Jan 5, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #3,112 of 4,480
For today i brought the HE400i home.
Purely out of curiosity, i would like to make a direct comparison with the HEDDphone, after both have been optimized with regard to frequency response.

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #3,113 of 4,480
newworld666 thank You for Your great job. I would be grateful if You coud explain me how those THD graphs works. I have only seen THD graph with % scale. Could You please explain how to read it? I have seen last THD graphs from Amirm from ASR... Amirm showed that HEDDphones are just horrible in this aspect. I am curious if his measurements are wrong or they dont differ from Yours :) Would be greateful for Your response !

Thank you,

But basically I have spent a lot of time to try to find some measures that could translate the real sound differences between my Heddphone (by Hedd) connected to the most impressive amp I own (Monolith Thx 887) which truly can give me a real kick in my throat in low and ultra low frequencies (when music needs it) and my other amps or headphones => with the Heddphone, It can give very deep, clear and fast impacts between 10hz and 300hz (it's impressive) but with any other of my amps (and even closed headphones), something is missing somewhere.. those are not bad, but truly missing in A/B comparison.

I really want to find a portable amp able to give me the same feeling when I listen to some music... Unfortunately, no measures could really show this !!! It's rather complicated to make A/B comparison between amps or headphones.

With non-pro measurements (and I think with pro measurements too) the differences between amps and dacs are really tiny for each of my headphone (Z7M2, Ultrasone Ed15, Heddphone).
We can easily catch the signature difference between headphones (through frequency's response), but, it's as if impossible between amp/dacs => though in real life the differences are really there and easy to catch with our own ears !

The THD measure is interesting, as, we all try to compensate some lost of power in some frequencies, and every time we push the equalizer in those frequencies, distortion can be increased by a lot and becomes really annoying !!!
So what could be shown is when I do some EQ is to "see" what happens between the signal emitted by my PC (through a HADSP by miniDSP), the distorted results with the Heddphone in comparison with the permanent ambient background "sound" of my office. My office is very quiet as I am in the countryside in the middle of a huge park (the heddphone is totally open with an amazingly huge surface (AMT) moving even just with your head movements like no other tech and so it catches a lot a background noise).

So in short :
-> the totally flatline "fundamental" represent what my computer produce as sound
-> the THD is the difference of what the Heddphone produce (in DB) compared to the fundamental
-> the Noise Floor line can represent the ambient noise of my office

Unfortunately, even in a very quiet place like my office, the low frequency noise floor is always at a rather high level which probably impacts the Heddphone (AMT) too.
Then, when we increase the EQ in low frequencies we increase quickly the THD too, that it can climb to a catchable level -20db that we can really hear.
And if we use a totally closed small cabinet, there probably some resonance catchable by the AMT driver which can create some THD bumps in some frequencies.

So, in my case, I would mostly compare in a open environment the THD vs noise floor and maybe just the general shape of THD between the measurements .. and not really the THD directly between measurements, as there is a lot of impacts due to the ambient sound (I think THD is rather impacted by Noise floor) => that's why I am not really interested with amir's THD as we don't know what's the environment of his measurements and what could be the noise floor when he measured at each frequency....

I hope with my poor English and level of measurements matters, I could explain the nearly 20 days I have spent last year in various measurements of my headphones.
I am waiting for some theoretically better portable amp I ordered, and I will start again to do some measurements (Another amp that Amir hates => Centrance M8V2, but I don't care so much what he is thinking :grin: as none of his measures could demonstrate why the Heddphone with the THX887 is so impressive to my ears between 10 and 300hz as a kick in my throat, that none of my closed headphones can totally do and are more muddy in those range of frequencies)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #3,114 of 4,480
Thank you,

But basically I have spent a lot of time to try to find some measures that could translate the real sound differences between my Heddphone (by Hedd) connected to the most impressive amp I own (Monolith Thx 887) which truly can give me a real kick in my throat in low and ultra low frequencies (when music needs it) and my other amps or headphones => with the Heddphone, It can give very deep, clear and fast impacts between 10hz and 300hz (it's impressive) but with any other of my amps (and even closed headphones), something is missing somewhere.. those are not bad, but truly missing in A/B comparison.

I really want to find a portable amp able to give me the same feeling when I listen to some music... Unfortunately, no measures could really show this !!! It's rather complicated to make A/B comparison between amps or headphones.

With non-pro measurements (and I think with pro measurements too) the differences between amps and dacs are really tiny for each of my headphone (Z7M2, Ultrasone Ed15, Heddphone).
We can easily catch the signature difference between headphones (through frequency's response), but, it's as if impossible between amp/dacs => though in real life the differences are really there and easy to catch with our own ears !

The THD measure is interesting, as, we all try to compensate some lost of power in some frequencies, and every time we push the equalizer in those frequencies, distortion can be increased by a lot and becomes really annoying !!!
So what could be shown is when I do some EQ is to "see" what happens between the signal emitted by my PC (through a HADSP by miniDSP), the distorted results with the Heddphone in comparison with the permanent ambient background "sound" of my office. My office is very quiet as I am in the countryside in the middle of a huge park (the heddphone is totally open with an amazingly huge surface (AMT) moving even just with your head movements like no other tech and so it catches a lot a background noise).

So in short :
-> the totally flatline "fundamental" represent what my computer produce as sound
-> the THD is the difference of what the Heddphone produce (in DB) compared to the fundamental
-> the Noise Floor line can represent the ambient noise of my office

Unfortunately, even in a very quiet place like my office, the low frequency noise floor is always at a rather high level which probably impacts the Heddphone (AMT) too.
Then, when we increase the EQ in low frequencies we increase quickly the THD too, that it can climb to a catchable level -20db that we can really hear.
And if we use a totally closed small cabinet, there probably some resonance catchable by the AMT driver which can create some THD bumps in some frequencies.

So, in my case, I would mostly compare in a open environment the THD vs noise floor and maybe just the general shape of THD between the measurements .. and not really the THD directly between measurements, as there is a lot of impacts due to the ambient sound (I think THD is rather impacted by Noise floor) => that's why I am not really interested with amir's THD as we don't know what's the environment of his measurements and what could be the noise floor when he measured at each frequency....

I hope with my poor English and level of measurements matters, I could explain the nearly 20 days I have spent last year in various measurements of my headphones.
I am waiting for some theoretically better portable amp I ordered, and I will start again to do some measurements (Another amp that Amir hates => Centrance M8V2, but I don't care so much what he is thinking :grin: as none of his measures could demonstrate why the Heddphone with the THX887 is so impressive to my ears between 10 and 300hz as a kick in my throat, that none of my closed headphones can totally do and are more muddy in those range of frequencies)

Thank You! I get it. You did a great job :) really appreciate it.

I guess Your assumption is right and has a lot of sense. I just wonder how ii is possible that Your and Orattory messurements are so different. I try to compare them and get a right conclusion.
I love Heddphone and had 5 days with them. I really loved them and they sounded just incredible. I can’t belive they measure so bad. Amimr shows almost 6% thd and this is just unbelievable... I was stuned by the sound and graphs shows something oposite... Thats just wierd and
I try to solve this puzzle :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #3,115 of 4,480
For today i brought the HE400i home.
Purely out of curiosity, i would like to make a direct comparison with the HEDDphone, after both have been optimized with regard to frequency response.
So, yesterday I took a few hours to compare the he400i and the Heddphone.

Both were adjusted according to the Harman curve (Amir & Oratory1990).

To anticipate one thing, so adjusted sounds the 400i in my opinion, considering the current price of 200 €, sensational!
However, it cannot hold a candle to the Heddphone in a direct comparison.

The HEDDphone scores with a much higher resolution, especially in the bass with more control, as well as more transparency and order.
I found the stage to be similar.

Is it bordering on madness, considering the performance of the 400i, to put 1400€ more for a HEDDphone and on the table?
Definitely!

Will I keep the HEDDphone?
Definitely! 😁🤷

I don't know if someone already posted the link, but here's where to buy the leather strap

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124324247890

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #3,116 of 4,480
has someone heard the Utopia in direct comparison to the HEDDphone?

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,117 of 4,480
Jan 7, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #3,118 of 4,480
has someone heard the Utopia in direct comparison to the HEDDphone?

I give a few comparisons to both in these reviews

The HEDDphone, Flagship Quality Sound without the flagship price?

Focal Utopia, a flagship headphone like no other!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 7, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #3,119 of 4,480
Thanks, I saw your videos at noon today.
I liked them very much.
I love the sound of the HEDDphone.
unfortunately the weight of the HEDDphone bothers me more and more, for an hour to an hour...
So I bought the Utopia today, and will maybe sell the HEDDphone...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #3,120 of 4,480

Users who are viewing this thread

Back