HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 3, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #3,091 of 4,473
Try it out, evaluate and decide.
For me it turned out that Amir actually worked out the weaknesses of the HEDDphone,
and corrected them successfully with the EQ.
The impression i had,
namely that the Bass needs a correction,
as well as that the midrange around 1khz shows an unpleasant harshness,
he has metrologically proven.

In summary, I can say that the HEDDphone sounds a lot better with Amir's settings 🤩

Btw.
Fine tuning is a personal matter...💁

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #3,092 of 4,473
For me it turned out that Amir actually worked out the weaknesses of the headphones, and corrected them successfully with the EQ.
The impression I had, namely that the Bass needs a correction, as well as that the midrange around 1khz shows an unpleasant harshness,

In summary, I can say that the HEDDphone sounds a lot better with Armin's settings 🤩

Btw.
How can I do the same?
I don’t have a EQ
How do I get one?

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #3,093 of 4,473
Neutron Player rules 👌
A current smartphone has a high computing power.
Neutronn Player knows how to use them.

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #3,095 of 4,473
I'm a Android-Fanboy, and using the Note9.
I don't know anything about Apple or the iPhone.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #3,096 of 4,473
Which smartphone?
Btw all I have is the iPhone 12.
No laptop or other device

Neutron Player is available for iphone too.. Ther is no SD on iphone so you can only access to streaming providers or a upnp NAS, though you can imagine to use OTG USB-C micro sd reader too.
Unfortunately, streaming features of Neutron are rather limited, so it's a bit tricky to use Qobuz/Todal and use DLNA feature of Neutron to access the PEQ. For it, you need to connect to the same external wifi bridge, and then play Qobuz to Neutron.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #3,097 of 4,473
In any case, quality control still has room for improvement.
Mine needs to be replaced.

1. See pictures above.

2. The left joint is much more difficult to move...

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #3,098 of 4,473
For me it turned out that Amir actually worked out the weaknesses of the HEDDphone,
and corrected them successfully with the EQ.
The impression i had,
namely that the Bass needs a correction,
as well as that the midrange around 1khz shows an unpleasant harshness,

In summary, I can say that the HEDDphone sounds a lot better with Amir's settings 🤩

Btw.

I really doubt that Amir can measure a Heddphone in a noiseless environment which can't be a usual small cabinet. The heddphone is totally open and is very sensitive of the distance of the walls if there is less than 1 or 2 meters far from the cups, and of course any external sound can pass trough very easily.

His measurements are really far from what we can find in the AutoEq project and what I can measure myself with minidsp ears..

I compare with my 2 other closed headphones (Z7M2 /Ultrasone Veritas 15) I can definitely say the Heddphone is not missing bass as he measured, by very far => He is even writing the headband was to small for his measurement system.. so how can he measure ?.
It's better to read more pro level measurements like in the AutoEQ project => AutoEq/INDEX.md at master · jaakkopasanen/AutoEq · GitHub
With my minidsp ears, I get rather similar measurements as Oratory1990 .. Amir seems not to be really serious in his way to measure and analyse.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #3,099 of 4,473
Just search for some Programs on the apple store.

Pairing the heddphone with an smartphone? Well :wink:
I'd recommend trying it first out with a proper amplification and something like APO + peace equalizer, to make changes on the fly and turning it off/on consecutively.

The heddphone has no objective "weaknesses". If the model is not deviating too much from the average model, sits properly and has proper amplification, than everything is tuned as intended from the developers.
This is no 100 bucks headphone, but almost 2k bucks, so everything is done with a purpose to sound the way they want it.

It is subjective, that's I agree with and thus say: Someone likes it, does not mean someone else will like it.
Listend and compare. Agree.
Basing a decision on buying headphone mainly just by looking at the frequency graph and comparing it to another intersubjective measurements (the harman curve), it pure madness and dumb for me.

Loudness/ Frequency, only that the graph shows. Nothing more. It say nothing about the changes in the sound stage (as is not even close fully, methodically researched),
no thing about the driver technology itself (planar does not have the tonality of a dynamic), no things about transients.
From my point, it is pure stupidness to rate a speaker/headphone on by comparing the graph to another one.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #3,100 of 4,473
@newworld666

Amir "vs." oratory1990'
💁

heddnoeq.PNG

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #3,101 of 4,473
That change must be do to audio level he applied.

I can definitely say the Heddphone is not missing bass as he measured, by very far
He basically applies +5 dB < 100 Hz to almost every headphone, be it a dynamic driver, ribbon, planar or AMT.
Everyone knows the bass regions of the heddphone sound very different to that of a dynamic driver.
Even when the graph in that area matches the sennheiser hd 800 S, the bass will not sound anything alike.
There is diaphragms mass, inertia, speed (transients) etc and the sound stage.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #3,102 of 4,473
And mine .. "non pro measurements" but taken in the country side during confinement last March so no external noise in a 15m2 room !!!
With and without "personnal" EQ .. and no missing frequencies under 300hz like Amir ..
Presentation is a bit different as It's shown with Harman curve as reference (flat black line).
Capture Hedd_PEQ (2).JPG

Distortion almost very good without amir's unbelievable/unacceptable artefacts
Capture Disrtortion Hedd_NW666EQ (2).JPG

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3,103 of 4,473
I manually tweaked and compared Oratory's peq with the one preliminary frequency graph from Judes here on head-fi and amirms.
Tweaked and compared for 4 hours, listening to the differences.

What displeases me personally, that with my model, simply by applying amirms P-EQ, it completely changes most of the sound stage. And that is only amirm's P-EQ.
Oratory's is even changing more. The whole sound stage (phase differences), echoing, transients are changed.
Instruments, mostly the decay and tonality, suddenly sound nothing as they sound in real life.

With the songs "Covenant Dance - Halo", from 00:00 to 00:30, the drums and percussion can be heard changing rapidly from left to right, echoing off.
With no P-EQ, the sound stage is as intended from the developers, generating an effect of space, kinda two big bubbles the sound is switching from.
Than comes the depth of the drum starting at 00:21. Without P-EQ I hear depth (front/back), with amirm's P-EQ the deep drumm bass has dsuddenly very less depth, simply being somewhere in the middle.
The sounds from 500 - 1000+ Hz are switching from being open in the lef/right direction, to being placed in the center. The rest is stretched and placed on one line, horizontally from left to right.

No clue where he is getting his " What was remarkable was the improvement in soundstage [...] With EQ, a larger bubble was created that started at your ears and travelled up 5 or 6 inches with instruments layering separately in that half sphere. " from.
For myself I can only perceive a little bit of wider sounds for some sounds, the majority is loosing space, width and depth.
I'm not saying his experience is wrong, it is just the exact opposite for me.

Basically the heddphone sounds nothing like the heddphone for me anymore, but simply most sound are becoming "flat" and generic.

The bass uplift of the two overlapping low-shelf filter are too much for me. Resulting in + 3 - 7 dB.
Voices get muffled and most thigns drowned in too much bass.
The harman curve, which is intersubjective, is simply reflecting here what most the audio listeners like: Give me BASS, a lot of it! Give me some headphone by Dr. Dre (I don't know what is popular nowadays - apple air pods?) :relaxed:

The synthetic sound starting at 00:53 demonstrates the changes really well.

With oratorys P-EQ it gets even more displeasing for me.
The same song starting at 01:09, suddenly the sound stage gets from open and full, to close and cramped.

This changes can also be listened to in Suliman - Infected Mushroom, or most songs with voices and some sort of space, echoing.

So listen and compare closely I suggest, before making any change. Every diaphragm is different. Applying a change from someone elses EQ will mostly not result in the same effect.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #3,104 of 4,473
Likely less distortions in that measurents because audio level is not cranked up to the max.
For 99 % of the listeners the distortion should be absolutely unhearable.

Your measurements also shows no such heights in the 600 - 900 Hz region.
Only a bit.
As explained above, that sudden change in sound stage etc. comes for me by increasing that reagion to +5 dB.
I tried it with +2 - 3 dB and 3,5 - 4 Q and it is way more pleasant to me. The sound stage that way is mostly as intended from the developers, the stock heddphone.

Since it is mostly subjective anyway: Another good way I found is to listen to pink noise, which, everyone should know is a very even sound, without any hises, deep rumbling etc.
If anything is off, it is heard immediately. That change of +5 dB was off for me.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #3,105 of 4,473
I really doubt that Amir can measure a Heddphone in a noiseless environment which can't be a usual small cabinet. The heddphone is totally open and is very sensitive of the distance of the walls if there is less than 1 or 2 meters far from the cups, and of course any external sound can pass trough very easily.

His measurements are really far from what we can find in the AutoEq project and what I can measure myself with minidsp ears..

I compare with my 2 other closed headphones (Z7M2 /Ultrasone Veritas 15) I can definitely say the Heddphone is not missing bass as he measured, by very far => He is even writing the headband was to small for his measurement system.. so how can he measure ?.
It's better to read more pro level measurements like in the AutoEQ project => AutoEq/INDEX.md at master · jaakkopasanen/AutoEq · GitHub
With my minidsp ears, I get rather similar measurements as Oratory1990 .. Amir seems not to be really serious in his way to measure and analyse.
I agree, he had a modified headphone that he couldn’t get to fit the measurement rig. I don’t see how he could possibly believe he was putting out reliable data. People take such data seriously and this type of data needs to be taken in a fair, proper way. Stating things didn’t work out right while obtaining data, then putting it out their like it’s gospel maybe isn’t fair to the Heddphone. The data may have some use, ie, the eq. I tried it real quick and I think it sounds good. So the measurements have some use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back