HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
May 29, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,251 of 4,478
I'm really enjoying the sound of my new HEDD's but still trying to get used to the size and weight. It's definitely a compromise, even compared to my LCD-X. I replaced the cable with ALO Reference 16 and the improvement was dramatic. Anyone else notice the stock cables are just mediocre and have another cable recommendation?

I am wondering. How do you find the Hedd compared to the lcd-x? And do they ‘just’ have a different sound signature or are the Hedd in a different league? Thanks!

May 29, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,252 of 4,478
After a few weeks using the heddphones, I hardly believed anyone would find a noticeable difference with more powerful amps driving the headphone (I was pretty sure the more or less 1W amp gives already best results and a lot of pleasure paired with the heddphone).
But for one week now, I finally noticed the 6W@32Ohms of the Monolyth THX 887, in certain circumstances, can go much deeper in the low frequencies particularly in Electro/Metal music like Tom Morello with Knife Party in a song like Battle Sirens (Electro part from 1:30) without any distorsion.
The small THX 887 sound just amazing compared to my two other amps (providing 1W unbalanced & 2W balanced), now I can easier imagine that TOTL amps like Viva or WOO can maybe push the heddphone even further without distorsion.

I am sorry for people who could be misled with my comments after a too short time using the heddphone.
I would say now, that definitely the heddphone can be really power hungry in certain circumstances...with an impressive result unreachable with less powered amps.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,253 of 4,478
I am wondering. How do you find the Hedd compared to the lcd-x? And do they ‘just’ have a different sound signature or are the Hedd in a different league? Thanks!
I apologies in advance that I won't be able to articulate what I've been hearing as well as an audio reviewer, so keep that in mind when you read what I have to say: To be honest, in the first couple of minutes I was disappointed with the HEDD compared to the LCD-X. The HEDD had much less bass 'punch' and in felt rather thin... then I remembered that I had not disabled the Audeze EQ pre-setting for the LCD-X in ROON. That helped a bit (obviously?!) but I felt like I was still missing something. Then I swapped the stock cable to my ALO Reference 16 balanced. Wow -that helped alot (as it did with the LCD-X). Lastly, I've now got about 3-5hrs on them and maybe I've just really got used to the sound signature but I do appreciate the HEDD over the LCD-X. The HEDDs are so smooth in the upper detail where the LCD-X's were sometimes a bit harsh or 'shouty'. The bass has improved (for me at least) as well -It's tight and accurate. Could it have been a result of burn/break-in? I don't want to go down a rat hole but I really don't believe in the notion of 100's of hours of 'break-in' but I do believe I noticed a difference within the first hour or so, which could have been just my brain getting used to the sound signature. Eitherway, I have no regrets. I do believe that for me overall sound better than the LCD-X BUT not by much. I would be happy with either. My biggest complaint so far would be the weight... they do feel significantly heavier and than the Audeze. This is coming from someone who actually did not mind the weight of the LCD-X! Also, you really can't move your head while listening seated in a chair with a high headrest as they 'crackle' at even the slightest pressure. The metal frames and grills also seem to be very micro-phonic. I think they really need to work on a ver.2 using lighter materials and changing the headband to something like the Empyrean even if it means increasing cost as the sound would justify it.

May 29, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #2,254 of 4,478
Last Saturday I got an e-mail from my dealer saying that he has received a Heddphone as a test sample, which was quite unexpected. I told them to break it in before I went to the audition today – that was half an hour ago.

I really didn't know what to expect. I had my FiiO M11 Pro with me and attached it to a DAVE. Well, it only took me 10 minutes to decide that I want a pair. The sound is extremely clear and detailed, imaging and the projection of spatial depth are exceptionally good. The tonal balance seemed neutral and flat, in the short time I couldn't detect any flaws, but with my own pair at home I will certainly find some ways to improve it via equalizing.

I would have liked to listen longer, but the store still has some Corona restrictions (just 4 persons at once), so I didn't want to use too much space and time, the more so as I was already convinced. The heavy weight didn't bother me, BTW, the headphone felt quite comfortable on my head.

No idea how long my order will take. After all Germany isn't far from Switzerland.

Great! I'm a big fan of them too as well...quite the first foray for Hedd Audio: headphones with incredible detail and speed with outstanding sound staging capabilities!

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #2,255 of 4,478

I own both HPs. The Hedds are so much more balanced across the frequencies that I never felt the need to EQ them. I listen to a lot of music with female vocalists, and I was always kind of disappointed by the stock LCD-X tuning, given the midrange loss where a lot of vocal presence lives. When I applied Sonarworks True-Fi auto-EQ settings (They've since changed it to Sound ID, which I like less) to the LCD-X I was much happier and it started to approach what the HEDDs achieve without any EQ at all.

The HEDD's treble is also smoother, but the bass, while tight, just isn't as meaty as Audeze cans. Listening to Phoenix - 1901 or Oliver - Chemicals, you can hear the difference and it's obvious that the HEDDs just can't do it all. They are spectacular with detail but lose out on the visceral bass experience. You could EQ up the bass like a lot of people do.

May 31, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2,256 of 4,478
I agree with this as well. I would encourage you to experiment with cables as well if you have not done so already. As I stated above, switching cables made a big difference on both my LCD-X and HEDD. ALO Reference 16's made the most difference on the bass.

May 31, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #2,257 of 4,478
Whenever one of us feels brave enough to DIY a new suspension headband, I would totally back that on kickstarter. You can see on my profile pic that I've got tall crunchy hair and I've never once complained of LCD-X weight or related to complaints about "hot spots." With the HEDDphone I really start to feel pain after 30 minutes. I can't imagine being bald and having these on. No disrespect to the integumentarily challenged.

May 31, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #2,258 of 4,478
I own both HPs. The Hedds are so much more balanced across the frequencies that I never felt the need to EQ them. I listen to a lot of music with female vocalists, and I was always kind of disappointed by the stock LCD-X tuning, given the midrange loss where a lot of vocal presence lives. When I applied Sonarworks True-Fi auto-EQ settings (They've since changed it to Sound ID, which I like less) to the LCD-X I was much happier and it started to approach what the HEDDs achieve without any EQ at all.

The HEDD's treble is also smoother, but the bass, while tight, just isn't as meaty as Audeze cans. Listening to Phoenix - 1901 or Oliver - Chemicals, you can hear the difference and it's obvious that the HEDDs just can't do it all. They are spectacular with detail but lose out on the visceral bass experience. You could EQ up the bass like a lot of people do.

Right. Bass isn’t meaty...it’s just perfect IMO too

May 31, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #2,259 of 4,478
After a few weeks using the heddphones ...
No problemo :relieved:
So you listened for a longer period now?
Try using the equalizer, you will see the AMT driver does really well with that and can go even deeper.
I have not listed to those woo 5k € amplifiers, but I don't think a totl-product needs to cost that much any longer; especially in the year 2020.
The Flux Lab Acoustics FCN-10 should have around 12 watts at 40 ohms and on headfonia Linus paired them with the Susvara and it was awesome.

The FA-10 should make an awesome pairing with the heddphone, especially since those THX amps and the topping A90 sound very analytical - maybe too analytical, without much emphasis on body.

May 31, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,260 of 4,478
Swapped out the Meridian Prime for the [Big Sky Audio upgraded] Lehmann Black Cube Linear, UPOCC power cord, with gain set midway at 10db and volume dialed to about 1:00. Qutest filter set on "White". Still very detailed, but a touch warmer/richer in the mids.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #2,262 of 4,478
I need to figure out the right cable for these.

Consider having a cable made with Neotech solid core UP-OCC hook-up wire.

Right now, I am listening to a [teknorob23-built] 8-cores Neotech UP-OCC cable: 4x 28 awg solid silver + 4x 24 awg solid copper.

. . . with [HeadphoneLounge] 4x 24 awg stranded UP-OCC silver adapters at either end!

The HEDDphone sound very good with this cable sandwich [and the Lehmann BCL].

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #2,263 of 4,478
Whenever one of us feels brave enough to DIY a new suspension headband, I would totally back that on kickstarter.
The problem with this is you're limited due to the maximum adjustment of the headband, so putting a suspension strap below the headband will give you even less maximum adjustment, and most people seem to using the headband at their maximum adjustment already.

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #2,264 of 4,478
Whenever one of us feels brave enough to DIY a new suspension headband, I would totally back that on kickstarter. You can see on my profile pic that I've got tall crunchy hair and I've never once complained of LCD-X weight or related to complaints about "hot spots." With the HEDDphone I really start to feel pain after 30 minutes. I can't imagine being bald and having these on. No disrespect to the integumentarily challenged.
I am bald....my decision, I hate going to the barber, and right now that's paying off, but I have no problems on the top of my head and actually pity those with a lot of hair since that probably takes away from the room you have with the lack of headband extension on the HEDD.

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #2,265 of 4,478
Revisited this tonight with my balanced Hart Cable. Much more distinct ringing of the triangle.
In the beginning, really getting on it...then
:28...I get the nice chime right at my left temple
Definitely better balanced...because there is more power via my amp...I’m not sure if I had a more powerful SE amp if it would be just as good.

:27-:38. Wow

1:29 beautiful light harp strumming

honestly, I never noticed the triangle

Thank you for asking this. I have a new appreciation for this.

It’s MASTER quality on TIDAL
THE WHOLE ALBUM

I GET great reproduction with both my amps..Jot /.the WooWA7 brings it out a bit more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back