HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
May 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #2,192 of 4,473
Wonderfully crafted HART cable.
Balanced is the IT or should I say the SCHIITT

Really makes these things sing....violins, the pull of the bow....full...I appreciate these phones even more....much more heddroom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 18, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,193 of 4,473
I agree with Pataburd on the burn in time change. More is better. The initial sound while listening to the Chesky Ultimate headphone Demostation disc, "when the saints go marching in" was two separate sides with nothing in the middle. After a week of burn in, the two sides merged nicely. After a couple of weeks the sound stage, though still flat, is even. Every instrument is in it's place

May 19, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2,194 of 4,473
@youkeum
Dividing the audio signal?

Yes, the burn-in is real with those. Every headphone I tried so far, dynamic, planar or amt had noticeably changes after some burn-in.
This is no phenomenon of bias, brain-trickery or the brain adjusts to the sound etc.
I focused very much to net get tricked by the psychoacoustics either.
With my pair some of the sound characteristics basically changed very noticeably already after 30 minutes.
Now after 2 hours even more. It sounds like a different headphone already.

Personally I have no problemo with the weight, but a little bit with the pressure on top of my head.
I found a simple solution to it: Just changing the position of the headband every 30 minutes.
First putting it more at the end of my head, then in the middle, then more in the front. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #2,195 of 4,473
Don't want to start an argument, but here's my two cents: there's no chance I'm keeping the Heddphone instead of my LCD-3.

Yes, it's better with classical music and I had a nice experience listening to The Dark Side of the Moon. But it leaves me cold emotionally. In my opinion, the Heddphone with its super resolution lets you really appreciate the recording, but you're left outside looking in. Whereas LCD-3 gets your blood pumping and takes you for a journey. And this is the only thing that really matters for me.

Of course this is just a matter of preference. But the one thing I was really disappointed with was the soundstage. It seemed to be very precise and without gaps, but it didn't feel as wide as I hoped, nowhere near HD800 as some have suggested. And it definitely was very 2D, which came as a surprise after Resolve's review. To my ears the LCD-3 has a lot more depth.

So, a very competent headphone that just didn't fit my taste. If something, it made me love my LCD-3 even more.
I also much prefer the LCD3F to the HEDDphone and posted in some detail about this a month or more ago. At that time one member theorized that this preference was probably the result of my amp and/or hearing; someone else suggested that there could be major unit-to-unit variation, and now people are talking about how much of a difference break-in makes (my phones were broken-in over 100 hours). Anyway I returned the phones to headphone.com and Taron gave them a lengthy comparative listen with their office pair and wrote me that he could hear no differences. It's still a mystery why I can't hear some of the qualities that others describe - technical qualities about which you'd think there would be a lot of inter-subjective agreement such as detail retrieval and soundstage depth - which, like you, I find more of with the LCD3F. And I agree that maybe more important than a transducer's more technical abilities is how well it can convince you that what you're hearing is music rather than a technological product, that there's nothing in the way of just letting the experience engross you. I don't want to set up these abilities as somehow in opposition to each other...though what sounds "musical" is for sure a very subjective judgement, depending first on what genres and styles of music you listen to and the qualities in those musics that you most love. But even there, it doesn't seem like the people who like the HEDDs a lot are necessarily looking for a very different sound than I am. Yet the HEDDs leave me cold.

May 19, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,196 of 4,473
tonereef,
What other headphones do you currently enjoy, or have you previously enjoyed?
It's pretty amazing how we all hear [see, think, feel] in a very unique way.
That said, I consider the HEDDphone's sense of air and specific density of space, especially the realistic depth of vocals, one of the most natural I have heard from any headphones to date.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #2,197 of 4,473
Wonderfully crafted HART cable.
Balanced is the IT or should I say the SCHIITT

Really makes these things sing....violins, the pull of the bow....full...I appreciate these phones even more....much more heddroom
What kind of wire?

[The Cowsills: "The Rain, the Park and Other Things" (stereo remix) playing in the background.]

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #2,201 of 4,473
Some asked me by PM my head measurement for understanding headband issue ..
So, if it can help other, my head circumference is 61 cm. But, more interesting is the distance from the middle left to right auditory canals passing through the top of my head (like the headband is doing), my measure is approximatively 42 to 43 cm.
I own the latest version of the heddphone (with the longest headband confirmed by heddphone by mail), and there is still some margin to extend the band on my head if it was necessary.
Once more, if I compare to my closed Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas with 320g .. I am still surprised that I am not in trouble with the 710g of the heddphone, even using them between 4 and 8 or more hours a day. For sure, both models are quite tight around the ears, but they stay really in place even when I move my head up and down for some reasons which is a real good point not to have to spend a lot of time to find the right place for the bast sound without having to replace them correctly often in the day.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #2,202 of 4,473
@tonereef
That's because no one has, in a written review, through commenting or videos, has actually explained in detail what the sound stage of the heddphone exactly is like, compared to the usual headphones, planars etc.
There are some misconceptions about what the heddphone actually listens like in most of it's sound characteristics. Few have explained it, but it is obviously swiftly forgotten after thousand of comments ^^
It is not a dynamic, nor a planar, nor a electrostatic headphone.
Headfonia does not wanted to compare the heddphone with other headphomes because of that. But when no one does, how should others now?

Such simple distiches as "sound stage is wide, more wide, depth, more depth" are, ahem, are not really accurate, since sound stage is like 90 % psychoacoustics.
But that is what most are doing when describing it.

That said, I consider the HEDDphone's sense of air and
See, that is what I meant. :smirk: No offense pataburd, but that is such a vague description, no one except you can understand.
Especially when one thinks that "sense of air" means airiness, and is now expecting such a airy sound and open headphone like the hifiman planars.
Guess what? The heddphone isn't actually that airy sounding as the the hd 800S or the hifiman planars.
It is just a different kind of airiness. Can't be compared. The heddphone achieves, for example the width of the sound stage, in a different way than those do.

The technical abilities are there; transducer resolution, perceived detail, transparency etc. to some degree more than with a lcd 3-f, on flagship level with the ones priced above.
But as you said there is no better, just different. More detail, more transparency, less here, less there.
In the the end the listeners decides what he likes most.
So don't hang up there, you made the right choice^^ Eventually just get more headphones :upside_down:

May 20, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #2,203 of 4,473
Dear jaaibanazu,
(i) Please provide a reference to support your statement: ". . . soundstage is like 90% psychoacoustics".

(ii) Based on what you are saying, headphone reviews in general have no grounds for existence [nor the exchange of private ideas/subjective perception on practically any topic].

Yet, curiously, this rejoinder is published:
"Guess what? The heddphone isn't actually that airy sounding as the hd 800S or the hifiman planars."
On what grounds, based upon your own norm(s) of skepticism, is such a statement defensible?

(iii) The HE-1000se, which I currently own and enjoy, seem to create the perception of a more expansive soundstage [arguably left-to-right and top-to-bottom, but maybe not, at least for me, front-to-back] compared to the HEDD.

However, that is not what I am chiefly addressing. When I discuss the "sense of air", I enjoin this to what I label "specific density" or how the sound from each element is integrated into the perceived space; the manner with which these sonic elements pack the air and/or acoustically interact within it. For me, the HEDD present a more "close-packed" or more "interstitial" utilization of space, whereas the HE-Kse have more of an "open-packed" characteristic. [Kindly permit my borrowing of metallurgical terms to try to explain this idea.] For me, the HEDD reproduce music more in the manner that I actually hear it.

In short: FOR ME, the HEDDphone more faithfully transmit an holistic musical ambiance.

(iv) Given what I will dub as "ambient realism", I do admittedly prefer the HEDDphone. That simply makes the HEDD different from--not necessarily better than--the HE-1000se.

The "Your Mileage May Vary" disclaimer applies to this, and every other, Head-Fi forum/thread past, present and future.

Cordially,
pataburd

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #2,204 of 4,473
First impressions are not good. Coming from an Abyss TC & ZMF VC, the Heddphone doesn't compare. Maybe I've received a botched item from headphones.com but these are a squeaky pair and slightly scratched up. :slight_frown:

May 20, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #2,205 of 4,473
I just noticed that I got the new headbands version, and this one barely reaches the lower parts of my ear. Wow. :dt880smile:

20200520_174726.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back