HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
May 10, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #2,102 of 4,478
I had a chance to audition the brand new T&A Solitaire headphones plus the HA200 amp today and was pretty much blown away by its performance.
I listened on Qobuz to the Starwars "The rise of Skywalker" recording, first song "Fanfare and Prologue". You could clearly hear a percussion triangle on the left. When I came home, I played this song on my Clear headphones with my Questyle CMA 12 amp.
I was shocked how different the triangle sounded. It was a hollow wooden sounding tok, tok very faint, instead of a nice metallic percussion sound on the T&A combo.
Maybe someone could play this song with his Heddphones, as they are very high up on my "to buy" list and will let us know how this triangle sounds through the Heddphones? A big thank you in advance!

:27-:38. Wow

1:29 beautiful light harp strumming

honestly, I never noticed the triangle

Thank you for asking this. I have a new appreciation for this.

It’s MASTER quality on TIDAL
THE WHOLE ALBUM

I GET great reproduction with both my amps..Jot /.the WooWA7 brings it out a bit more

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #2,103 of 4,478
Tidal Masters: John Williams, Rise of Skywalker:
[triangles at 0:25 to 0:45]

ATH-ADX900 (stock cable): triangles sound metallic but are not well resolved

Martin Logan Mikros 90 (HeadphoneLounge UPOCC silver recable): triangles sound metallic with excellent tonality, differentiation and microdynamics

Focal Utopia (HeadphoneLounge UPOCC silver recable) [I no longer own the Clear]: triangles sound a bit wooden--more "tappy" or "thuddy" than "ringy", with more textural and/or dynamic detail than tonal detail

ATH-ADX5000 (ZMF recable): triangles sound metallic with good balance of tone, texture, dynamics, but are a bit reticent in the mix

HifiMAN HE1000SE: triangles sound a bit edgy/etched, more "wooden" [to use Tekunda's word coinage] or "typewriter-like" in delivery, and tonally dry

HEDD Heddphone (stock cable): more metallic than wooden, but still a bit more "typewriter-" rather than"triangle-like" overall, good differentiation between triangle frequencies and upper violin registers

[Cursory] rankings for triangle realism:
Martin Logan Mikros 90
ATH ADX5000
HEDD Heddphone
Focal Utopia
HifiMAN HE1000SE
ATH-ADX900

Caveats:
All listening done with "cold" drivers.
Source gear may not be uniformly optimal for all headphones used.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #2,104 of 4,478
MASTER LEVEL RECORDING

WOW

check this out Tekunda

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
May 10, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,105 of 4,478
Pauly/Tekunda:
You've nudged me to:
Tidal Masters: John Williams: The Empire Strikes Back: "The Imperial March"
The horns, man, the horns!!!

"Han Solo and the Princess"
[0.03 to 0:08]
Heddphone renders very well-resolved and very realistic-sounding triangle strikes on this recording.
Everything sounds right with this one!

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #2,107 of 4,478
John Williams, yes.
Next . . . Ennio Morricone . . .
: )

Tidal fails, in my estimation, due to [quite] a lack of Master quality classical music in their library, and a basic dearth of decent classical recordings overall.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #2,109 of 4,478
First of all a big thank you guys for checking out the track for me.
The reason it was important for me is that the Heddphones should have been my next purchase, but when I came back from my audition of the T&A Solitaire P plus HA200 amp and how poorly the triangle and harp came through on my highly esteemed Focal Clear, I was curious to learn how these two instruments would sound on the Heddphone, since on the T&A combo these two instruments where sounding pretty life-like.
I know that this is the Heddphone thread and we are taking almost 3 times the money for the T&A, so all I can say is that before I buy the Heddphones "blind", I will need to audition them first, before putting any money down.

May 10, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #2,110 of 4,478
:27-:38. Wow

1:29 beautiful light harp strumming

honestly, I never noticed the triangle

Thank you for asking this. I have a new appreciation for this.

It’s MASTER quality on TIDAL
THE WHOLE ALBUM

I GET great reproduction with both my amps..Jot /.the WooWA7 brings it out a bit more
On my Focal Clear I could hear a tok, tok, typewriter-like, according to one guy. But at least you could hear the beautiful harp through the Heddphones.
Thanks for checking out the track.

May 10, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,112 of 4,478
Looks like everyone needs a balanced cable for this headphone, xlr or trs and a lot of juice^^
Balanced cable is MUST have, cus stock cable is garbage, it has 730pF capacitance.

May 10, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2,115 of 4,478
Just got mine today. Test them on Audio-GD NFB28. Compare with Stax SL500 with 006tII tube amp. Trebles sound a bit sharp to me, a bit sonorously than my Stax SL500, Very good resolution and scene. Scene a bit higher in head that some of headphones including SL500. Music sounds a bit closer to top of the head, this give a feel like sound is more wider. Will listen further and share my impressions.

BTW, I made custom Balanced cable with 4pin XLR on the end. This is Neotech UP-OCC pure coper 24AWG cable. It has low capacitance and I know how it sounds.
I make custom cables from good known wires, so I had to try HEDDs with one of my boys.
What was a huge astonishment when I measured HEDDs stock cable. It has 730pF right and 709 pF left channel, what a terrible level... didn"t expect to see this here.. what a disgrace I would say..
IMG_20200411_224747.jpgIMG_20200411_224506.jpg

I measured my custom cable and it has 75/73 pF for L/R channels.
IMG_20200411_225056.jpgIMG_20200411_225021.jpg

Can"t say that custom cable changes a game, but first - balanced connection makes scene wider, second I hear more powerful bass response since amp has truly balances scheme and drives both channels separately. Anyway, I like how sounds balances connection.
Want to mention - just started listening today, need couple days to make a decision.
Set one

Set two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back