HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Apr 23, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,846 of 4,480
I have a pair of Heddphone coming and I plan to evaluate them against my Focal Clear.
I had a chance to buy a secondhand pair of Verite for €1900, but decided in the end against the Verite, not only because I could get the brand new Heddphone for €1600, but also because am very happy with my Clear, especially after I EQ'ed the subbase. But have read a few times that the Heddphone base is supposedly "better".
So I am quite curious to find out about the Heddphone base, if it is really better than the Clears and of course about their sound quality in general.

I’m gonna have to guess that the HEDD will by far surpass the clears… But I know that clears are really really good

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #1,848 of 4,480
I have a pair of Heddphone coming and I plan to evaluate them against my Focal Clear.
I had a chance to buy a secondhand pair of Verite for €1900, but decided in the end against the Verite, not only because I could get the brand new Heddphone for €1600, but also because am very happy with my Clear, especially after I EQ'ed the subbase. But have read a few times that the Heddphone base is supposedly "better".
So I am quite curious to find out about the Heddphone base, if it is really better than the Clears and of course about their sound quality in general.

I will look forward to your impressions! I'm on exactly the same path. I've loved the Clear since the first moment I've heard it, and now I'm looking for its upgrade. The Utopia and Verite were great when I auditioned them, but I couldn't justify the price. If the HEDDphone is, as some have described, like the Utopia but with better bass extension, that sounds perfect for me. Or if it's the same tuning as the Clear but with great speed and resolution, that's perfect too. I hope you get yours soon and let us all know!

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,849 of 4,480
Just arrived. Slightly longer headband I presumed from the previous photos/owners.

20200423_153946.jpg

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,854 of 4,480
Apr 23, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #1,855 of 4,480
The 009s run circles around the HEDD in detail retrieval, transient response, subtle timbral discrimination, and soundstage depth and transparency, and are at least their equal in dynamics (though maybe not slam). The 009s too have a bump in the 1-3K range but the effect is different - the Stax sound "sunny" (not bright exactly but not quite natural either); the HEDD sound bright and hard, pushing the sound out - the opposite of relaxed.

Thanks for the impression, much appreciated.
I think the culprit is probably the amp/dac.
I heard both (the sr-009s, Mk Omega2 and lamba 700 Mk2, with a 1000 - 3000 € energizer and the heddphone with low quality and enthusiast amp/dac) and I can say this choice of word " run circles around" is very obviously an extreme exaggeration.
The heddphone is slightly to noticeably better in dynamics than all planars I heard, even some of the dynamic driver headphones, but there is no headphone with more excellent dynamics than the SR-009S :p
Yes, compared to Stax, nothing sounds that relaxed (especially the lamba sr 700 mk2), but calling the headphone unrelaxed, is also an extreme exaggeration, since they are more relaxed than almost every headphone I listened to in this price range. They're just behind the stax lineup when it comes to the overall effortless presentation.
And being too hard and bright (upper midrange) is also quite exaggerated compared to all other headphones; the boost in this frequency range is only very little - little audible - only on tracks whic focus on this frequency range. The boost is so little, I positive most will not hear it. It is exactly the aspect what makes the heddphone's sound signature a very well mix between balanced and neutral/realistic and thus fun to listen to.
It is noticeably less hard/bright than an Utopa/Stellia.

I could also write something about the other things you mentioned, but I haven't listened to the audeze lcd 3F, so I'm not qualified :sweat_smile:
But I'm curios about your statement ".. they just sound more like the real thing."
I simply haven't heard a headphone, with a more natural/realistic timbre than the heddphone and more even tonality - so ....ehmm :grimacing:
So this statement ".. less timbrally realistic sound of the HEDDs has become hard to ignore." - no, just can't agree; a LCD headphone got a more realistic timbre than the heddphone is simply new to me.
There are some in the same ballpark, as the sennheiser hd 820, the Clear (even more than the Utopia) or the in some ways the stax.
Really not saying that you're lying, euphemize, badmouth things etc. but there is something off^^

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #1,860 of 4,480
I would like to know how much is the HEDD supposed to weigh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back