HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Mar 5, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #1,336 of 4,480
Due to the nature of the AMT driver, a smaller headphone is likely not in the short term. But I do know that the next batches coming up should have the extended headband. That said, the current one with my large melon is just fine when fully extended IMO. The weight is quite well redistributed across my head and I can use them for long listening sessions.

That said, they sound glorious! Next to the Phi TC, they have the widest/deepest sound staging around. If I had to chose between these cans and the HD800S, K812 or T1 (similarly priced flagships)...I'm going with the Heddphone!
Good to hear! You are making me desire one very badly! Would you say the HEDD has the smoothest, most natural treble out of the four?

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #1,337 of 4,480
Had the chance to hear them directly at hedd audio, paired to a spl Phonitor X.
The friendly employee also explained some things about build quality, transducer, technicalities etc.:relaxed: Thanks!
I also listened to a lot of the mentioned headphones here, so I could write some detailed comparison as long I have the notes and remember.

high.jpg

Ahh, yes, the prices are definitely too damn high for enthusiast/luxury headphones.
Besides from few headphones as for example the hifiman arya, audeze lcd-x open, focal clear or sennheiser hd 800s (if liking the timbre etc.), Beyerdynamic T1, Stax SR-L500Mk2/ SR-L700Mk2 (if someone likes the timbre, without the expensive amplifier), Focal Steliia (3000 €, maybe still ~ 500 € too expensive), I don't see any other headphones priced reasonably, regarding the objective qualities/build etc. relative to the MSRP.

The overall sound quality (not the subjective part or build quality etc.), I'd say the Hifiman Arya was the No. 1 in price/performance, going toe-to-toe with headphones up to 3000 €, only a little bit behind in certain sound technicalities compared to the 3000 - 5000 € flagships.
Now the heddphone not only took the No. 1 spot costing the same as the Arya, but also going toe-to-toe with the flagships - it is not behind.
Yes, all the headphones in this price range have their own sound characteristics, which is a good thing, so everyone can pick the one he likes more, but there is no reasonably explanation I can find or think of, which justifies x2 - 3 the price. Just none.
Without including the additional 1000+ € amplifier, even the Stax SR-007Mk2 and the 009S being so unique in sound, could still be priced more reasonably.
Very nice too see hedd audio priced the heddphone this reasonably fair. Thanks!

Post #1322
Yes, agree :wink:
If I have to think of the "stax-sound", the Stax SR-L500Mk2/ SR-L700Mk2 is the stax-headphone. The stax SR-007Mk2 and SR-009s already sounds a bit less like stax, though being more detailed etc.
The heddphone has some few sound characteristics which "point" towards the stax-sound, but overall not really comparable in sound signature.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,339 of 4,480
The ceo talked about the suprise and all the positive feedback here :)
Likely will be an even better flaghsip headphone based on that technology.
It is pretty obvious, even without him hinting to it HEDD Audio CEO discusses the HEDDphone's new AMT driver tech.
For me the most important question is: After the initial success and establishing oneself in the high-end, enthusiast and luxury headphone market, the company executives will be greedy and price gouging as all these headphones companies did the past years? Absurd high prices of 3000 - 5000 bucks for headphones, when in reality, they could cost 2000 - 3000 bucks, still giving the company decent margin and fund the upcoming flagship and lower range producst (as overpriced products usually do).

I hope hedd to be the white knight and save me (and others) of that absurd prices for enthusiast and luxury headphones.
$ 3000 would be still okay for a much improved flagship, but please not 3500, 4000 or more.

The complete interview with HEDD's CEO is here:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,341 of 4,480
There was a really nice guy at NY Can Jam last month whose entire purpose for traveling there was to hear the HEDD so that he could buy it. I was the guy in the motorized wheelchair waiting on line with you to hear it.

If you're on here and you happen to see this, I'd love to know what you thought of these!

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,342 of 4,480
Good to hear! You are making me desire one very badly! Would you say the HEDD has the smoothest, most natural treble out of the four?

Most definitely. Throw in improved sound staging and transparency, IMO I'd take these of the "germanic" based headphones listed. :)

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #1,343 of 4,480
So I demoed the HEDDphone today, paired with a Hugo TT2, and for the first time since I got into this hobby, I just felt like I was just listening to music. I don’t know how to explain it but it makes sense in my head. Soundstage was wide although I did notice a slight lack of depth. Detail retrieval was excellent but at the time I wasn’t even thinking about it. I wasn’t thinking about anything but how music just sounded like... music. There was no harshness, nothing was overemphasized, everything just sounded right. They seemed heavy at first but felt comfortable when I put them on. My only issue was with the yoke and how little it extends. I’ll be going back to The Source AV to try them out one more time before I sell all my audio stuff and save up for them and the TT2.

Mar 6, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,347 of 4,480
One other comparisson regarding Heddphone Stax - Heddphone and solid state amp[ in my case/ set up ] outside a computer enviroment Heddphone provide a inky black background similar to stax. Regarding computer set up and with tidal regardless weather listening to Zarathrustra , Karl Jenkins Adiemus II or othe serious audiophile music like Kid Koala 12 bit blues there is a definate colour or residue of background noise floor.
This happens with the most of (high-end) headphones, imo.
Nothing special so far, i think.
Whoever listen to this "serious audiophile" music going to expect that bc it's a part of the music/ mastering, not a fault of the headphone.

Just my 2 cents.
Otherwise i misread your post or its statement. Apologies if i did.

But your're right, never buy before you've tried. :)

Happy listening. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back