HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Mar 3, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #1,321 of 4,488
Thanks a lot for the comparison. In the meantime I did get to hear the HEDDs for an hour, not in my home system, but with an ADI-2FS and a DIY hybrid amp very similar to mine. These comments are very preliminary therefore. But they struck me as different from the 009s, though yes in a complementary way. If they sound like any electrostats I'm familiar with it might be the 007, but their sound is gutsier without being coarse. I'm not sure if they are more dynamic than the 007s or 009s well-driven (again, I have DIY amps which I have not been able to compare with the Carbon etc.), it has more to do with saturation/density (do these metaphors mean anything to other people?). I'm talking about timbre mostly, or timbre + dynamics. The bass and lower mids provide a solid foundation, seemingly more even in terms of FR than the 009s, and probably one that's also more balanced than the 007s with their mid-bass hump. But at all frequencies they make music sound present and accounted for, not polite, not held back or "greyed-out" in the slightest. I value that. And the resolution, though maybe not quite at the level of the 009 or 007 (that comparison and the question of image solidity will have to wait) is certainly good enough considering what else the phones do. Based on a limited listen to the Abyss TC at a dealer's I'd have to say I prefer the HEDD (though maybe I didn't find the best off-ear adjustment of the Abyss).
The HEDD are similar to the 009 in the vein of being more reference-y, not colored fun. However, different as they're far from ethereal and more dynamic and engaging.

But generally I agree. Where the HEDD is slightly behind in some technical areas aforementioned, they clearly make up in dynamics, presence and enjoyment.
Importantly for me, the technical traits aren't missing key elements. And this bridge is enough I have decided to sell my other headphones in favor of keeping just the HEDD.

My issue with the Abyss is performance inconsistencies due to fitment. Aside from that, they can also be dynamic, engaging, big/full sounding.

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #1,325 of 4,488
And I do think that the folks at HEDD have been taken by surprise by the reaction to their 1st headphone product and it will take a bit of time in order for them to figure a strategy to move forward with this technology.
JJ
The ceo talked about the suprise and all the positive feedback here :)
Likely will be an even better flaghsip headphone based on that technology.
It is pretty obvious, even without him hinting to it HEDD Audio CEO discusses the HEDDphone's new AMT driver tech.
For me the most important question is: After the initial success and establishing oneself in the high-end, enthusiast and luxury headphone market, the company executives will be greedy and price gouging as all these headphones companies did the past years? Absurd high prices of 3000 - 5000 bucks for headphones, when in reality, they could cost 2000 - 3000 bucks, still giving the company decent margin and fund the upcoming flagship and lower range producst (as overpriced products usually do).

I hope hedd to be the white knight and save me (and others) of that absurd prices for enthusiast and luxury headphones.
$ 3000 would be still okay for a much improved flagship, but please not 3500, 4000 or more.

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #1,326 of 4,488
With marketing, sure an successor could be $5k. But they sure as hell better get the weight down to 400g, then.

In reality, they should strive to force their competitors down.

However, persuasion (of market and perceived value) is a neat trick in all of life.

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #1,327 of 4,488
The ceo talked about the suprise and all the positive feedback here :)
Likely will be an even better flaghsip headphone based on that technology.
It is pretty obvious, even without him hinting to it HEDD Audio CEO discusses the HEDDphone's new AMT driver tech.
For me the most important question is: After the initial success and establishing oneself in the high-end, enthusiast and luxury headphone market, the company executives will be greedy and price gouging as all these headphones companies did the past years? Absurd high prices of 3000 - 5000 bucks for headphones, when in reality, they could cost 2000 - 3000 bucks, still giving the company decent margin and fund the upcoming flagship and lower range producst (as overpriced products usually do).

I hope hedd to be the white knight and save me (and others) of that absurd prices for enthusiast and luxury headphones.
$ 3000 would be still okay for a much improved flagship, but please not 3500, 4000 or more.
@jaaibananzu Thanks for the link. I'd love to see a portfolio of products from HEDDphone, especially a closed back.

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,329 of 4,488
snip
For me the most important question is: After the initial success and establishing oneself in the high-end, enthusiast and luxury headphone market, the company executives will be greedy and price gouging as all these headphones companies did the past years? Absurd high prices of 3000 - 5000 bucks for headphones, when in reality, they could cost 2000 - 3000 bucks, still giving the company decent margin and fund the upcoming flagship and lower range products (as overpriced products usually do).

And there is, the lower the cost the more units they will sell, all based upon relative price points.
And I agree that prices are outrageous for HP's.

Case in point.
I own a set of $1000 mini bookshelf speakers that have RAAL tweeters in them along with a specialty woofer, tweaked and matched crossover, and in a laminated box.
So when I see them make headphones and sell them for ≈3.5 times that price, it just irks me.

And to add, yet another layer to this, HEDD redesigned their driver to cover the entire audio bandwidth, as in, they spent the time and applied the necessary resources to design a single driver that would cover the 20-20K bandwidth.
And it's still ≈1/2 (or less) the cost of comparable SotA HP's

Are we still having to deal with jewel encrusted Beats?

And this degree of ear candy applies to the top HP manufacturers.
I see this as a consequence of the marketing dept dictating far too much into the final design involved with creating HP's, especially their SotA HP's.

It does everyone a disservice, themselves for not selling and fully supporting their customers, and to customers for not being able to hear what is possible.

I hope that HEDD doesn't fall into this marketing mindset that limits the available potential, and can stay on course, aimed in a 'better' direction.

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #1,331 of 4,488
Due to the nature of the AMT driver, a smaller headphone is likely not in the short term. But I do know that the next batches coming up should have the extended headband. That said, the current one with my large melon is just fine when fully extended IMO. The weight is quite well redistributed across my head and I can use them for long listening sessions.

That said, they sound glorious! Next to the Phi TC, they have the widest/deepest sound staging around. If I had to chose between these cans and the HD800S, K812 or T1 (similarly priced flagships)...I'm going with the Heddphone!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #1,332 of 4,488
I second your opinion on the HEDDphone. I have owned or currently own LCD4, Utopia, TC, Voce, Z1R, 800S, Auteur, and HE6se. Out of all of these the TC and maybe the LCD4 beat the HEDDphone. They all have things I like, but as an all round headphone, the HEDD is in my top 3.

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #1,333 of 4,488

no faith in a free market economy? if someone else can do it for less money and claim market share, they will. I think they will stay a 'hedd' of the game. don't worry.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,334 of 4,488
Imo it depends if the market is more or less saturated and new participants are competing for the same shares or if this is luxury good that will find willing buyers even when they jack up prices after having established themselves as a desirable additional toy. I would bet on the latter, TOTL headphones imo aren't a market driven by prices established through supply and demand. Therefore, i am even more happy to order (should get one this month) while Hedd's offerings are still at least somewhat affordable, that's most probably going to change with forthcoming products.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,335 of 4,488
Imo it depends if the market is more or less saturated and new participants are competing for the same shares or if this is luxury good that will find willing buyers even when they rack up prices after having established themselves as a desirable additional toy. I would bet on the latter, TOTL headphones imo aren't a market driven by prices established through supply and demand. Therefore, i am even more happy to order (should get one this month) while Hedd's offerings are still at least somewhat affordable, that's most probably going to change with forthcoming products.
Looking forward to your comparison with the Quad. ^^
Once it has arrived we can have a local meet. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back