HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Mar 15, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #1,396 of 4,472
Anybody know what size hard shell case would fit these? Something like what comes with Audeze headphones. Maybe Pelican, or Seahorse. Even Monoprice case would be great.

Mar 15, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #1,397 of 4,472
Anybody know what size hard shell case would fit these?

91Ac3e0ZKFL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Mar 15, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #1,398 of 4,472
Mar 16, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,399 of 4,472
Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #1,400 of 4,472
DSC02873-3.jpg

It's quite nice.

Actually it's so far really good. Reminds me a lot of the IER-Z1R, with a not quite as pronounced emphasis on bass. I have only listened a few hours to it and therefore don't have a fully formed opinion on it, but the only things i really didn't like so far are the stiff cable and the short headband.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #1,401 of 4,472
I just have a feeling here that the they intend on using all of the shorter headbands they currently have and have ordered and not until the next batch of headbands they have to order will we see the longer headbands.

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,402 of 4,472
Good review of the HEDD. Not sure about the the narrowness of the soundstage, that he mentioned. I thought when I listened to them they had a wider than deep image.

What I found funny though are his comments, in the comment section, about the RAAL, where he says: "They are not ready for prime time" and thus will not review them now.

Could be his system? I find their headstaging off the charts good and certainly improved over the HD800S.

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #1,403 of 4,472
Could be his system? I find their headstaging off the charts good and certainly improved over the HD800S.
How is the depth of the HEDD in comparison to the width of the headstaging?

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #1,405 of 4,472
In Front?
Sounds great. ^^
Most of the time i listen to a various range of headphones, the headstage is like i'm sitting to a wall, facing it with a distance between 10cm and 50 cm.
The sound goes from the wall to the back in a hemisphere. ^^

For me, there's no "staging" like proper speakers do.

Maybe i'm the limiting factor. I don't know. :deadhorse:

For soundstage, i got my Elac speakers. :)

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #1,406 of 4,472
There is no depth. It is very front and center and passing just barely in front of your head or through your head. The HEDDphone sounds immediate and intense.
Well that stinks. When I heard them briefly at CanJam I thought the same also. When I put them on the sound seemed to blast straight out the sides, but with not a whole lot of depth. I though well maybe I didn't have the right seal or have them on right. Hopefully I can get a bit more depth happening or the staging will sound out of balance.

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #1,407 of 4,472
In my attempt to transcend the impending world apocalypse, I reach for the HEDD.
And as a BTBAM person, no better way to go out!

Between the Buried and Me - Automata I / II
If Pink Floyd decided to eat mushrooms, find a jazz club and then play some weird metal, this would be it.

Blast off. Ultra fast, ultra resolute, very, very, very dynamic, open, airy, extended. Imaging and ability to pinpoint is exceptional. Although this great trait becomes less important the more intoxicated one becomes. Importantly, in my increasingly drunken state, I pound the volume up and up -- even still, the biting-zing of splash is absent. Now we're rocking! I am not left wanting for more bass prowess but perhaps quantity could be bumped for ultra-drunk-involvement! However, I'm quite the fan of how natural these sound (while being mostly clear-headed and sober.) I love how the mids are forward (not muddied) and clear. Gimme growls, gimme anger, please!

Since there is a current discussion going on in regards to staging, name a "headphone" that actually presents real depth? It's just not a thing.

Anyways, I think we'll dig-in through the night and pursue the great escape further.

Up next BT - Morceau Subrosa.

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #1,408 of 4,472
In my attempt to transcend the impending world apocalypse, I reach for the HEDD.
And as a BTBAM person, no better way to go out!

Between the Buried and Me - Automata I / II
If Pink Floyd decided to eat mushrooms, find a jazz club and then play some weird metal, this would be it.

Blast off. Ultra fast, ultra resolute, very, very, very dynamic, open, airy, extended. Imaging and ability to pinpoint is exceptional. Although this great trait becomes less important the more intoxicated one becomes. Importantly, in my increasingly drunken state, I pound the volume up and up -- even still, the biting-zing of splash is absent. Now we're rocking! I am not left wanting for more bass prowess but perhaps quantity could be bumped for ultra-drunk-involvement! However, I'm quite the fan of how natural these sound (while being mostly clear-headed and sober.) I love how the mids are forward (not muddied) and clear. Gimme growls, gimme anger, please!

Since there is a current discussion going on in regards to staging, name a "headphone" that actually presents real depth? It's just not a thing.

Anyways, I think we'll dig-in through the night and pursue the great escape further.

Up next BT - Morceau Subrosa.
While there is no true depth, some headphones present a better "illusion" of depth than others. That's all it is....an illusion. Some can hear it better than others.

By the way, while I am not really a BTBAM fan, I do have a couple of Dustie Waring's PRS guitars....love them.

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #1,409 of 4,472
I'm a bit perplexed myself right now what some are writing - how can a headphone emit sound to make it sound in front or behind me (so depth), if the music they are listening to is only in stereo, without real hrtf?
It is not possible. It is not a speaker.
Correct me if I'm wrong. But this post kinda confirms it, almost 10 years ago^^ https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how-soundstage-depth-works-or-doesnt-work-in-headphones.478352/
... since producers generally master for speakers, lets first talk about how speakers create soundstage depth:
[...]
Soundstage depth, in general, is created by the fact that high frequency sound waves are absorbed and dissipated more easily than low frequency waves are. [...]
So, speakers create soundstage depth from two areas. 1) is what is in the recording. This has to do with microphone positioning (far away mic'ing sounds farther away) and EQ'ing (pulling out or boosting the presence frequency of an instrument can make it sound closer or further away). [...]
2) is the simple distance from the listener and the speaker. [...]
Now you can probably already see what the fundamental issue with headphones is going to be here. Headphones, by definition, have the driver extremely close to your ear. There isn't very much air to "knock down" those high frequencies. [...]

Now this probably sounds grim, but headphones solve this problem by rolling off high frequencies [...]

It's my opinion that headphones just CANT accurately reproduce soundstage depth. The best a headphone can do is strive for a flat SOUND (as opposed to a flat reading on a FR chart) and then whatever that makes the soundstage depth is the best they can do. [...]

So in my understanding what everyone asking is simply a "fake depth"?
There is no real depth-information, just a fake our brain perceives and some other information it uses to create a sense of space (as someone described here for width, some want that fake information for depth) https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...what_is_headphone_soundstage_and_why_would_i/
If I'm not wrong in understanding this I'd rather take the exceptional width and height sound stage of a normal headphone as the heddphone and stick with it.
What some are asking is, in a kind silly analogy, if I would take my normal 2.0 speaker setup and then multiply them to 4 and putt the newly created two behind me, to create some sort of surround sound :relaxed:
The ribbon earphones SRH1A can represent depth to some extent, thought not comparable to a speaker setup.
But even they create simply a fake-depth if the music is not recorded or mastered that way.
If one wants real depth, the producers should make it, or with real hrtf, then also the heddphone and other headphones would create a real soundstage with depth.
:wave:

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #1,410 of 4,472
Have to correct myself; he wrote that even the information to create the perception of depth, the fake-depth, with reverb etc. is not enough to create real depth.
reverb and delay doesn't create depth as far as positioning goes, it creates room depth ie it makes the space the performers are performing sound bigger, but it doesn't move the performers around. Pan creates soundstage width, not depth.

Music really needs to be recorded and mixed/mastered for real depth.
Even Sennheisers Ambeo binaural can do that really good (it is no hrft), so even headphones which do not fake depth by creating the frequency response in a specific way, have a real sense of depth. I can hear some depth in those, through headphones and not speakers or earphones.
AMBEO SMART HEADSET – Locals Project “Seoul, The Road” I Sennheiser
AMBEO v.s. Stereo: Magic of Immersive Audio with Kala Jula Live Performance @moods.digital

Users who are viewing this thread

Back