HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 21, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #932 of 4,478
On pre order in Uk at Scan this is what they say' as below

top.png

THE LAST WORD IN HEADPHONESThe term “endgame” in the audiophile headphone world describes a final set of headphones that a listener can enjoy for the rest of their lives, providing as much detail and accuracy as they would ultimately be happy with.

For many listeners, the HEDDphones will be their ultimate goal, as they herald frankly, a quantum leap in headphone audio signal reproduction and a possible end to a quest for an almost existential, out-of-body experience in music listening.

The speed that their custom driver travels is much faster than other competing technologies, so they are able to reproduce audio signals incredibly accurately, with what we at Scan can only describe as a “soundstage so wide, it seems to disappear at the horizon”.

Separation between individual sounds & instruments and transient detail are excellent, as is the build quality, comfort and weight distribution, which is fortunate as at over 700 grams, you will certainly notice you are wearing them, even if your hearing gives the feeling of the musicians actually being in the room with you.

Revolutionary AMT Technology
second.png

BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY INSIDEThe Air Motion Transformer (AMT) is an electrodynamic transducer that allows to move air significantly faster than common voice coil, magnetostatic (planar) or electrostatic systems. Their traditional piston-like movement is overcome by a folded diaphragm that squeezes out air four times faster: A breakthrough for capturing more details in a musical recording.

30 years ago HEDD CEO and Chief Engineer Klaus Heinz designed the first compact and marketable AMT tweeter based on Oskar Heil’s original Air Motion Transformer invention. Since then he has increased its sonic quality in several fundamental revisions. The 2019 version of the AMT can be heard in HEDD´s innovative Series ONE studio monitor line.

Accurate, Untamed, and Touching Music Reproduction
slim.png

HEAR EVERYTHING...AND MOREMore recently Heinz has focused on developing a full range Air Motion Transformer to break new grounds for this superior transducer principle. In order to reproduce the complete audible frequency band (and beyond), the HEDDphone incorporates VVT® (pat. pending).

VVT introduces a new diaphragm geometry that expands the AMT principle to a linear full range (10Hz–40kHz) headphone transducer. It replaces the fixed geometric structure of conventional AMT drivers as the folds vary both in width and depth. The HEDDphone introduces a fourth transducer technology.

It brings the enormous dynamic capabilities and the superior sonic resolution of the AMT principle to the world of top-end headphones. HEDDphone excels where it really matters: in accurate, untamed, and touching music reproduction.

“With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility”
low.png

THE ULTIMATE HEADPHONE EXPERIENCEScan recommends that you recall the above Spiderman quote as a mantra when music listening with Heddphones, in that you must think that to date, no music has yet been mixed or mastered on these headphones, so details may be apparent that even the artists, producers or engineers may have never heard. These are headphones that will show up every detail including seemingly hidden flaws and errors in a take or mix.

They are best described as brutally honest, providing absolutely no flattery or forgiveness for poor or aging recordings. Your favourite compositions might not be presented in the way you remember, the truth it would seem, can sometimes hurt.

The HEDDphones certainly do benefit from and will make full use of a decent DAC or headphone amp, such as the ones below...

lake.png

I agree with this. They definitely present music differently than my 800S and it has taken me some time to get used to that. But now that my brain has burned in to their sound, I like them even more. They emphasize different details than the 800S and I now hear things in songs that I never noticed before. But at the end of the day, they just sound so clean, yet non-fatiguing. That is an achievement in resolution for me and an eye-opener as well.

With past TOTL headphones, it always seemed like the detail came with a cost. They sounded sharp, fatiguing, sibilant, or had a wonky frequency response.

These give me the staging and detail I crave without any of the other baggage.

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #934 of 4,478
Under £1500 on Scan... These things seem like a bargain if the first impressions posted so far are anything to go by! Anyone compared them to the Verite Closed?

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #937 of 4,478
...but with my big head I know for sure they will not fit me?

I'm sorry about your big head, but HEDD can't make it smaller. Lieber @Tekunda, you have to see it from a different angle. The Hamburg Elbphilharmonie ended up being 11 times more expensive than planned and the construction delay was around 7 years. Nobody cares because they all love it. It has become beautiful. Buy a HEDDphone and you will love it.

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #939 of 4,478
Got mine yesterday. They even send you a handwritten custom letter. Thank you, HEDD (not true, read edit). I feel honored. My noob impressions given as follows.
Edit: The letter is actually from Andrew and Taron from headphones.com (sorry for the mistake)! Even better as that shows how much they care about their customers.

Background: A basshead searching for a bass-endgame. I value quality and EQ capability. For quantity, I believe it can achieved through the latter. I am still learning describing and differentiating musical aspects. So, I apologize if you think my review bad and wasted your time.
Old/Current Cans: Sennheiser HD58X, Modhouse Argon MK3, Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, Fostex TH900, Audeze LCD-2C, Audeze LCD-3, Hifiman Arya, and now HEDDphone
Auditioned Cans: Audeze LCD-4 and Focal Stellia
Gear: Topping D30 -> Emotiva BasX A-100

So Bass first: These brought back a similar feeling. When? Oh yeah, back when I auditioned the LCD-4 for about 5 minutes (wish I did more time). I smiled. The bass felt like it had a beautiful shape and structure. Almost as if I could see it. HEDDphones did something like that but 'probably' not at the LCD-4 level. But, if memory serves me right, it is a little close. It has an interesting bass. Sometimes, it slams almost like a dynamic and this can be track dependent but it does it. The sub-bass is the best I've heard (not comparing to the 4 as I didn't get enough time with it) among the ones I owned or own. There is vibration and rumble with a less weight from a basshead standpoint. Despite that, it feels excellent. In fact, if it wasn't for the weight then I think you would 'feel' the vibration even more like the Arya but HEDD is surely better. If it wasn't for the Abyss Phi and LCD-4, I would keep this.
By the way, on some tracks the bass made me say What which I never did with headphones. I think it was the way sub-bass moved the air? But it was something related to the way the bass was moving inside. It felt SUPERB.
Treble & Midrange: They feel very clear. Amazing actually. But the voices can be a little bright (with the 's') or shouty (if I got that right) with 'certain' tracks which is probably because of the track quality. But, I think this smoothens out after a couple hours of use. Best treble I heard was from Stellia followed by Arya which I still like the way the 'kich-kich' thing sound from them (lol). Then again, if you take that out then the HEDD is definitely better, no questions. If I have to say, the 'kich kich' thing from HEDD felt controlled and better while the other two felt like they were all over the place.
Soundstage & Imaging: Man....Wow, I think this is what makes them even better despite the 's' problem. The way things are spread out and presented is a little speaker like. Speakers close to your ears, that is. You feel most if not all the instruments and beats breathing. Not sure how to explain this but it was very easy to pinpoint the instruments even though everything was on the same dB level. Kinda like having multiple people talking to you at once but you can still understand what each of them said. That made it feel delicious.
EQ: They do not take EQ as well as planars do but are good. If you know how to play around with volume controls then you can get the EQ higher without distortion. This also depends on which software you are using, of course.
WEIGHT: Heavy. Heavy enough to disappoint me and I am someone who likes weight. The weight from Audezes never bothered me but this does for some reason. This is gonna be weird but that weight feels good and bad. Good because it make the music feel better (again, for me), comfortable (in a way), and don't slide off like some Audezes. Bad because these make me feel like I have a big head. The sliding things (I forgot what it is called, sorry) do not extend and if it did like the Audeze's (which is why I was cool with them) then the weight would be no problem for me. This also resulted in a stronger clam for me while my earlobes awkwardly rested on the pads. The top two sides (not the middle) of my head hurts after less than 2 hours of use. If this continues, I might have to return it and that would suck. However, from experience of using other cans I think they might get softer after somedays of use. That's what I am hoping at least.
Note that although weight is an issue, it is the limited sliding extension that makes it worse.

I can't imagine how good these would sound with a very good amp and dac. If the weight is still a bother, then I might move to Abyss CC or LCD-4. But I will be a little scared to move to an LCD-4 because HEDD's soundstage and imaging. However, you can get a better answer from someone who owns all three.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #940 of 4,478
PeteStradamus, indeed we both will probably need the full extension, but just to be on the safe side I personally will only buy after I have tried on a pair.
Since I followed your posts a bit, I know it will be a shootout for you between the Heddphone versus Susvara and the Abyss 1266.
I have owned electrostatic speakers for most of my life (Martin Logan) and from that experience I know that the transducer diaphragm is prone to loose tension over time and need to be re-tightened
after a few years.That is for the main reason why I am reluctant to spend so much money on transducer foil type headphones and that is why I am very happy that the Heddphones came out, aside from the headband that is.
Absolutely, brother. I heard so much good stuff I’m truly having a hard time deciding.

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #941 of 4,478
One quick observation as I only have a few hours on my HEDDphones. They really highlight the differences in source gear. The sound is definitely different between my Woo WA5 and HeadAmps GSX mk2. I'm not saying the HEDDphone is picky of source, just that it is very revealing. I have to put more time in to say more. It has been a very enjoyable couple of hours so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back