HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 19, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #886 of 4,489
Interesting. I have been interested in the HE1000se for my next headphone.
I've been interested in the SE as well being I'm an owner of the v2. I haven't owned the v2 for all that long, and haven't listened to them all of the time I've owned them due to them being in rotation. I've recently been listening to them daily and really enjoy the v2 very much which is why I haven't traded them for the SE. I am waiting on the HEDDphone to arrive, so from others impressions, both of these headphone should be an interesting comparison.

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #887 of 4,489
@Hifiearspeakers I like what I’m reading from you in regards to the Heddphone. Canjam can’t come soon enough. I’m 100% certain my head will not fit that headband though. And I hope it impresses me as much as the Susvara or TC and I won’t have to spend the extra cash and I can buy my dac at the same time.

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #888 of 4,489
I've been interested in these and have been following comments for months, but no one has compared them to Stax, specifically the 009, which I've owned since 2011 and use for monitoring recordings at mix/mastering stages as well as for pleasure. I've been wanting a comparable planar or dynamic reference phone but so far have not found one that satisfied me except the Susvara, which I thought was overpriced, plus I was concerned with reliability, so did not buy. I've heard Abyss TC, Utopia, Mysphere 3.2, LDC4 - for various reasons none of them seemed like long-term propositions regardless of price. (I have LCD3F but don't listen to it much, too colored and not detailed enough). I actively dislike Senn 800 (maybe not driven well when I heard them years ago? have not heard 800S).

One interesting thing about the HEDDphone is it measures fairly similar to 009 re FR - lower bass down somewhat, peak around 1-2K. I've had my issues with the Stax, but with my current DIY tube amp I'm not bothered by brightness (as long as the recording is not boosted in the highs) and bass and dynamics are quite satisfying for acoustic music (jazz, classical, world etc), and even for classic rock, if the low bass is there. Sure, I would like an even flatter phone that sounded as good in other respects.

Then again, I don't need another phone that sounds very much like the 009. I don't think the HEDD will, because electrostats have a certain kind of presentation and people have said the HEDD sounds like a combination of planar and dynamic. I'd love to find a phone with more slam (but that may not be HEDD's forte) and one with the kind of timbral saturation/density that electrostats don't have in the way the best planar and dynamic phones do, (Possibly related: 009 measures flat in lower mids/upper bass but this is exactly the area where I sometimes still feel a slight lack of fullness/foundation - do not feel this with LCD3F!) I don't imagine the HEDD has quite the detail retrieval of the 009 or Susvara, but hopefully enough that music is well layered in depth and the space between sounds is lively rather than a vibrationless backdrop (reports on HEDD about this seem inconsistent).

Since I may not be able to demo HEDD before buying it would be great to hear opinions. I'm also interested in the RAAL now that the Jot R is almost here, but again don't know if a demo will be possible (I live in Vancouver).

A quick comparison between HEDDphones (had it for the past 7 days) and Susvara (owner since 2017):
Comfort: Susvara over the HEDDphone hands down. Susvara over any other flagship actually.
Tonality: HEDDphone is warmer with thicker note weight, more bass and it slams harder. More treble on the Susvara.
Timbre: Both sound quite natural, certainly more natural sounding than 009/Abyss TC.
Stage and Imaging: HEDDphone has greater width. Susvara has better depth and imaging.
Speed & Resolution: Speed is equal, or the HEDDphone pulls ahead by just a hair. Both are not as fast as 009. Susvara resolves better (esp microdetail) and has better layering.

It seems strange to compare a sub $2000 to a $6000 headphone but value is subjective. I use the Susvara almost everyday for the past 2.5yrs (more so than Abyss TC and SR1a mainly due to comfort) and it never failed on me though I would run out and buy another one if it did. I recommend you hear the SR1a on the Jot R is your focus is strictly on SQ. To me it is levels above anything available right now.

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #889 of 4,489
A quick comparison between HEDDphones (had it for the past 7 days) and Susvara (owner since 2017):
Comfort: Susvara over the HEDDphone hands down. Susvara over any other flagship actually.
Tonality: HEDDphone is warmer with thicker note weight, more bass and it slams harder. More treble on the Susvara.
Timbre: Both sound quite natural, certainly more natural sounding than 009/Abyss TC.
Stage and Imaging: HEDDphone has greater width. Susvara has better depth and imaging.
Speed & Resolution: Speed is equal, or the HEDDphone pulls ahead by just a hair. Both are not as fast as 009. Susvara resolves better (esp microdetail) and has better layering.

It seems strange to compare a sub $2000 to a $6000 headphone but value is subjective. I use the Susvara almost everyday for the past 2.5yrs (more so than Abyss TC and SR1a mainly due to comfort) and it never failed on me though I would run out and buy another one if it did. I recommend you hear the SR1a on the Jot R is your focus is strictly on SQ. To me it is levels above anything available right now.
The Heddphone also has that nice out of head sound like the Susvara?

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #890 of 4,489
The Heddphone also has that nice out of head sound like the Susvara?

Not entirely sure what you meant. Both can project sound like it comes from out of head. If you're referring to Susvara's ability to project crazy holographic 3D like images, the HEDDphone doesn't, at least not to the degree of Susvara.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #891 of 4,489
I've been interested in the SE as well being I'm an owner of the v2. I haven't owned the v2 for all that long, and haven't listened to them all of the time I've owned them due to them being in rotation. I've recently been listening to them daily and really enjoy the v2 very much which is why I haven't traded them for the SE. I am waiting on the HEDDphone to arrive, so from others impressions, both of these headphone should be an interesting comparison.

You'll be getting HEDDphone and I'll wait for your comparison with HE1000 V2 .... with your WA33 and Citadel amp. You also have the Susvara so more impressions. :)

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #893 of 4,489
Wow, just listening to the demo unit I got today. Headamp is a Questyle CMA 600i and source a Lector Strumenti CDP 707 - which is nothing less than a match in heaven. Especially with EDM, which I have never experienced that natural, liquid and organic. If those cans weren't that heavy I would like to dance with them.

Bass has an absolute fantastic authority and slam while it is perfectly defined, slightly elastic and fast. Something special has to be mentioned about the translucent texture of the bass. Sounds to me like there is a third dimension HEDD invented. In opposition the mids come up light, fluid and beautifully transparent, which for me is a fascinating pairing with the strong bass. The mids presentation is simply effortless, nothing screams for attention - everything is just there and pearls out easily. Treble shows great resolution and finest microdetails but doesn't bother me at all although I am absolutely treble sensitive.

Soundstage: did someone say they sound closed in? For me they are wide open, at least partially. Some instruments and effects appear and dissappear out of and into the deep and wide nowhere while others are located directly in your head. Still everything seems perfectly integrated into the whole presentation, the stage seems endless. Lots of air between the instruments! Again I feel no planar or dynamic headphone has ever shown this variability in depth but I agree to those who say the heddphone appears like a cyborg that grabs the best from all technologys. Simply amazing - I am just listening to Scubas "Claustrophobia" for the second row and still cannot believe what my ears are getting to know, really holding my breath not to miss any detail.

The overall signature for me is full and rich in texture and also, sorry for that, kind of futuristic. Never have enjoyed my music that much!
Fantastic impressions with critical listening and ability to describe the sound with finesse as well.

I agree with the above, as a chameleon of a headphone as truly revealing of your source chain, and in the best possible way. Soundstage that's also a chameleon, reproducing a stage as small or as large as it was intended, and seemingly infinite ability to handle complex recordings / instrument separation. And that 3rd dimension of bass you mention about - I believe all the above must be due to their new emerging AMT VVT technology that moves air 4x faster than conventional drivers, giving it the edge on all the above abilities. What was referred to as 'marketing hype' is now being realized as true and changing the industry. Sometimes when something sounds too good to be true, "it's not".

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #894 of 4,489
Fantastic impressions with critical listening and ability to describe the sound with finesse as well.

I agree with the above, as a chameleon of a headphone as truly revealing of your source chain, and in the best possible way. Soundstage that's also a chameleon, reproducing a stage as small or as large as it was intended, and seemingly infinite ability to handle complex recordings / instrument separation. And that 3rd dimension of bass you mention about - I believe all the above must be due to their new emerging AMT VVT technology that moves air 4x faster than conventional drivers, giving it the edge on all the above abilities. What was referred to as 'marketing hype' is now being realized as true and changing the industry. Sometimes when something sounds too good to be true, "it's not".

Thanks a lot, Levi - really appreciate your words as your early impressions were spot on for me too (after I had the chance to try the prototype at the Audiovista). Since that day I was impatiently waiting for the heddphone to show up. But to be honest I remember those cans having performed even better in the stadium of a prototype, even paired with an ADI 2 PRO from RME. Hopefully it's just a burn in period I have to overcome.

Anyway, ampwise I did not get the impression the heddphone is as power/current hungry as a HE-6. It's more about synergy. Before I took the demo unit home I had the chance to listen to it through several amps at the store. In contrast to my first experience with the ADI 2 PRO the ADI 2 DAC made the heddphone sound boring somehow. There was simply no engagement the ADI brought into the presentation. Way better: the Quad PA ONE PLUS. What a powerful beast, that brought up the HEDD to a very energetic expression, which for me just lacked a bit in bass precision. Then I got over to the "Questyle-family". Their concept of a current mode amplification really lets the heddphone shine and especially underlines his ability for a play as transparent as it could be. Single ended the CMA 400i made me think I was on the right track but it wasn't as full-bodied as I wished, while the CMA Twelve Masters transparency was phenomenal but overall too bright and a bit aggressive. Finally the CMA 600i was the perfect match - single ended as said before. Exited to hear what happens on XLR as the power will be doubled.

Btw, I remember you mentioned a friend of yours is about to build an amp specifically for the heddphone. May I ask for some details?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #895 of 4,489
Is there any truth to what I have been reading that if I were to order now, it will likely take a long time before I receive them, due to the fact that they have small manufacturing manpower, er, peoplepower to make them and they can only build around three or four a day?

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #896 of 4,489
Not entirely sure what you meant. Both can project sound like it comes from out of head. If you're referring to Susvara's ability to project crazy holographic 3D like images, the HEDDphone doesn't, at least not to the degree of Susvara.
That's exactly what I meant. Thanks.

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #897 of 4,489
You'll be getting HEDDphone and I'll wait for your comparison with HE1000 V2 .... with your WA33 and Citadel amp. You also have the Susvara so more impressions. :)
I no longer own the Susvara. I felt it was a bit too polite for my tastes, but do admit that after selling it I missed it a bit. I've considered purchasing it again, but everything is now on hold due to the Citadel & HEDDphone purchase.

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #898 of 4,489
Is there any truth to what I have been reading that if I were to order now, it will likely take a long time before I receive them, due to the fact that they have small manufacturing manpower, er, peoplepower to make them and they can only build around three or four a day?

I can’t confirm that for certain, but I did read that same thing in the headphones.com discussion board. Plus, I think the first few batches of preorder are already sold out. However, the word on the street is that subsequent batches will arrive approximately 1 week after the previous batch.

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #900 of 4,489
Today is the 20th, so the next batch should be arriving approximately 1 week from today at headphones.com.
I pre-ordered mine on January 13th and I'm told mine would be delivered 2 to 3 weeks later.

I am trying my beat to stay patient and level-headed but I have to admit that it is getting more difficult with each positive review. Serenity now. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back