HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Oct 4, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #4,231 of 4,478
TL; DW, he basically said the headphone sucks (sonically) and much cheaper headphones are better.

Brutal.

I keep Valour around in my sub feed just because even though I've almost never agreed with his preferences, he offers a contrasting view and he doesn't come off as pretentious about it.

That being said, in this review he sounds like someone that mistakes treble presence with detail, which is kind of a rookie misunderstanding. And that's strange because he's been doing this for a while now, and he's not factually a rookie, but I guess he still hangs onto some of those assumptions. And thus he lands on the opposite conclusion pretty much everyone else has about V2's "class-leading detail".

And for the record, when he asks what AMT is offering... It's the treble. The treble quality, cleanliness, smoothness, timbre is its best attribute.

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #4,233 of 4,478
Oct 5, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #4,235 of 4,478
Just another opinion. Won't judge Two based on it. Definitely will try and listen myself.
I would add to that, it is just another opinion based ONLY upon "songs" from genres where the term HI FI very rarely applies anyway. Synthetic Electronica ,Pop and Rock music is NOT the type of music or recording type I would EVER use to judge the actual SQ of any HI FI product. Sadly that is what the VAST majority of young online reviewers seem to listen to and use as test material.
And even judging by the Promo Video Hedd put up on YouTube it seems like that is what they also use ?The mainly Electronica Synthetic track they have there is again NOT what I would EVER think of using to promote a product intended to be used as a mastering tool at high quality hi res recording sessions .
I will as always with any HIFI product listen myself with music I know how it sounded both live and at recording sessions of unamplified acoustic musical instruments in a real acoustic venue. All else is just too subjective misleading and irrelevant in the context of HIFI and High End Audio to be of any interest for me.
Heddphone 1 did not convince me enough to buy it and I suspect the same will apply to V2 unless they have also solved the congestion and distortion problems with large scale big dynamic range symphonic music of V1?
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #4,236 of 4,478
I would add to that, it is just another opinion based ONLY upon "songs" from genres where the term HI FI rarely very applies anyway. Synthetic Electronica ,Pop and Rock music is NOT the type of music or recording type I would EVER use to judge the actual SQ of any HI FI product. Sadly that is what the VAST majority of young online reviewers seem to listen to and use as test material.
And even judging by the Promo Video Hedd put up on YouTube it seems like that is what they also use ?The mainly Electronica Synthetic track they have there is again NOT what I would EVER think of using to promote a product intended to be used as a mastering tool at high quality hi res recording sessions .
I will as always with any HIFI product listen myself with music I know how it sounded both live and at recording sessions of unamplified acousitc musical instruments in a real acoustic venue. All else is just too subjective misleading and irrelevant in the context of HIFI and High End Audio to be of any interest for me.
Heddphone 1 did not convince me enough to buy it and I suspect the same will apply to V2 unless they have also solved the congestion and distortion problems with large scale big dynamic range symphonic music of V1?
Cheers CC
Hi, I can confirm that the distortion in the mids that could be perceived on the original version is pretty much gone with HEDDphone Two. It's a much cleaner set overall and ends up more resolving as well.

As far as dynamic range goes, I'll let you guys know when I get more time on the HEDDphone One that HEDD is kindly arranging for me.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #4,239 of 4,478
Hi, I can confirm that the distortion in the mids that could be perceived on the original version is pretty much gone with HEDDphone Two. It's a much cleaner set overall and ends up more resolving as well.

As far as dynamic range goes, I'll let you guys know when I get more time on the HEDDphone One that HEDD is kindly arranging for me.
Any review from you of V2 coming?

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #4,241 of 4,478
I'd be interested in a consumer tuned version of the HEDDphone TWO without the subbass rolloff and a little more Bass presence in general (close to Harman)

@freddyknop maybe that's something for a future product?

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #4,242 of 4,478
Thank you!
So, könnte ich "vielleicht sogar" get an answer "straight from the horse's mouth" as the saying goes? Was gibt's? Have you solved the dynamics /distortion problems over V1? And also is it designed as a studio tool to be used only in the Synthetic Pop and Rock genres? Oder ist es "sogar" a highly resolving and very neutral and transparent low distortion over its entire frequency range, HIFI product also with large scale unamplified symphonic music?
Your choice of music in that Promo Video was disappointing to say the least.

Cheers CC

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #4,244 of 4,478
I would add to that, it is just another opinion based ONLY upon "songs" from genres where the term HI FI very rarely applies anyway. Synthetic Electronica ,Pop and Rock music is NOT the type of music or recording type I would EVER use to judge the actual SQ of any HI FI product. Sadly that is what the VAST majority of young online reviewers seem to listen to and use as test material.
I use these genres to evaluate my headphones simply because that's what I like. A good headphone should reproduce all music well regardless of genre, It's just that frequency response deficiencies hurt some genres more than others.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #4,245 of 4,478
After watching JV's video, while not agreeing with some of the things he says, I can see why he would think the headphone isnt to his liking.

Personally, my favourite headphones at the show of London. While I like well done treble, no matter how dark or bright something sounds, this headphone just has something about it that made me go into pure bliss haha. The speed and detailing was making me genuinely enjoy the headphone. While it did have dark or flat in terms of a frequency response treble, I usually hate that if its too dark. But this was just lovely. I normally also dislike planar's, I have only come across a few that I did in fact enjoy. Now I understand this is an AMT, not planar, but you get the idea.

Im a sucker for good design, and headphones ergonomically is often overlooked. The fact you can adjust clamp and fit is absolutely nuts. This to me is hd600 level of design because that headphone is a completely screwless design. While the hedd v2 has screws, it's the implamentation of the headband that makes it up there.

I'm trying not to shill, there are things I would hope for to be fixed such as the crinkling of the driver (which is normal, just could see it being annoying for some) and also trying to get the correct fit but that can be easily resolved with some self figuring out of the headband. But I am a huge sucker for good design, this is an example! Just doing something new for the better is what makes me love this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back