Heavily used Sennheiser HD600, worth refurbishing or time to get a new pair?
Dec 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

winniez

New Head-Fier
First of all greetings everybody. I have been reading this forum for a long time but I didn't register until now.

I wonder if anybody has been in the same situation and could give some advices.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 which I bought in 2002 or 2003. They have served me well being in daily use for around 10 years now. I have gone through 4 cables and 2 top paddings, I have also repaired/sewed ear pads once.
But now the situation is that all 3 are in terrible condition and would need replacing. I quickly checked and the whole set would cost me 95 euros inc.shipping from Thomann (or around 80e if I would use HD650 cable instead). That seems quite a lot since I bought the cans for 200 euros when new. Visually they are in ok condition with the usual texture chipping and some dents on the metal mesh.

I wonder do the drivers have much fatigue on them after such a heavy use, there wouldn't be any point in changing those aswell. Could I expect the drivers to last another 5 to 10 years? Are there any important improvements in new HD600 comparing to 10 years old design? To my understanding they have made some small changes.

I think I will either A)buy the full replacement set from Thomann (80e or 95e) or B) buy just the top padding and cable and try to cheapskate fix the ear pads or C) buy a new cans :)

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 7
If you really love YOUR HD600, go fix it and spend 90euros

If you love HD600, buying a used one will cost you around 200USD or around 150USD for hd580

Drivers can last up to a very long time, they are like human being, you will never know when they will die

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 7
buy a new replacement pair

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 7
I've seen them new for 300€, so I'd deffinitely buy them new and sell them... maybe somebody is interested in a heavily used pair, if only to try them for their sound.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for all the answers.

I ended up buying just the HD650 cable and I will try to fix the pads once more using foam or memory foam. I will also completely disassemble the cans and clean everything, call it a 10 year overhaul :) I will also go to a audio store and test them against a brand new pair just out of curiosity.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 7
pls post the before/after fotos of your loving repair. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back