Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
May 30, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #1,306 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ooh... this is very good news indeed... my sister had the super fi 5 pros and i thought they were decent for bass.. if the C3 has more then i'm sold.

good job.

I only had a few IEMs (the ones in my sig) but I can tell you that C3s have plenty of bass. Of course I get much less bass then M5 but I thought they had too much bass anyways. Comparing to Klipsch, ER4 and SCL4, they have much more/better bass.

May 30, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #1,307 of 1,734
X4
The Bass is definitely more than the SF5Pro and the more controled as well. The mids are slightly more recessed than the SF5Pro but this balances out the upper bass and highs better, giving them thier overall balanced "Reference" signature.

May 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #1,308 of 1,734
Wow! That was quick! 8am and a knock on the door from Fedex and I now have my UE Custom Cable. A quick test and I think it is a good buy.
The 'Y' split is a lot less than the OEM cable but I think I can live with it.
If you have not tried this cable on your Hearyourself IEM's I would recommend giving it a try. The cost is very reasonable, $39.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #1,309 of 1,734
To those who previously had single driver (AE1 or C1000) then upgraded to dual/triple drivers, did the upgrade significantly improve the SQ? Is it worth the monies?

I have AE1 and I'm not satisfied with the quality, especially the bass quality, and I'm now considering an upgrade to dual/triple driver. I've had a chat with Andre about this and he quoted a quite reasonable price.

Upgrade to C2 costs X, to AE3 = X+$15, to C3 = X+$65. Which upgrade you guys recommend?
Is having detachable cable so it's changeable really that worth?

Cheers.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #1,310 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by [benz] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those who previously had single driver (AE1 or C1000) then upgraded to dual/triple drivers, did the upgrade significantly improve the SQ? Is it worth the monies?

I have AE1 and I'm not satisfied with the quality, especially the bass quality, and I'm now considering an upgrade to dual/triple driver. I've had a chat with Andre about this and he quoted a quite reasonable price.

Upgrade to C2 costs X, to AE3 = X+$15, to C3 = X+$65. Which upgrade you guys recommend?
Is having detachable cable so it's changeable really that worth?

Cheers.

I don't think there were many people who upgraded from single driver to dual/triple. Well, I think pricing is good (considering mine was C3 = X + $70).
There was substantial increase in bass quality. I am really satisfied with bass quantity/quality. But I am still not happy about the highs. It doesn't sound very clear or extended to me and sounds almost as if highs are rolled off. I was concerned about the fitting and I sent them back in order to get better fit. Andre made them a bit better this time and I think fitting is excellent. Treble sounds better than before but I am still not satisfied. Maybe this is because I am comparing them to ER4P (friend's) since they are known for treble/detail/speed.

Anyways, overall, I wouldn't recommend the upgrade since you will spend much more money/time for what its worth. I recommend you to put those money into Livewire or new JH line up. Of course, I don't have any experience with them but based on reviews of highly regarded head-fiers, they must be very good.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #1,312 of 1,734
Thank you hifidk. Did you send your impressions back when upgrading?
My ear impressions are in quite a bad shape, the coating are chapped, but still maintain the shape.

Custom from other manufacturer is always an option, but as far as I know, they cost almost twice of upgrading
frown.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #1,313 of 1,734
Saintkeat, when I placed my order, I first chose monitor options, color, cord, and filled in special instructions on their website, then clicked 'Buy Now'.

From there, if my memory serves me right, you'll be taken to Paypal checkout to pay. Once you finish the payment, Andre will send invoice and information on where you should send your impressions.

For custom color and artwork (if you wish), I gave a brief, short explanation on Special Instruction field, then I sent Andre an email of detailed explanation including sample pictures of how I wanted my custom to look like.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #1,314 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by [benz] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you hifidk. Did you send your impressions back when upgrading?
My ear impressions are in quite a bad shape, the coating are chapped, but still maintain the shape.

Custom from other manufacturer is always an option, but as far as I know, they cost almost twice of upgrading
frown.gif

I sent them the impression that they sent back before (the ones I got from audiologist) and I also sent additional impression that I made with their material that they sent me in the first place.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #1,316 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok cool so what kind of impression should i tell the audiologist? full shell? or just canal impression?

I have no idea actually since I just asked for "ear impression" but I believe it is full shell? You might want to ask Andre.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #1,317 of 1,734
Absolutely FULL SHELL !!! . In addition to the canal, you will need inpressions of the Bowl and Tragus. There is a detailed instruction sheet attached to your confirmation eMail from Alien Ears/Hearyourself. Also Ultimate Ears has a very detailed downloadable instruction sheet for the audiologist.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #1,319 of 1,734
AlienEars' intructions are designed to instruct the individual on using the free impression kit that arrives in the mail a couple of days after placing the order. If you are going to have the impressions by a professional audiologist, I think the UE instructions would be best. The ultimate goal is to get the best impressions possible. I did my own as well as those of my 10 y/o son and both of our sets fit perfectly, but most people in this thread opted for professional impressions.
If the audiologist does impressions for hearing aid patients, they will know exactly what to do. Most have opted for "Open Mouth" for that "snug" fit, The important part, once you choose open or closed is to be very careful not to move your jaw during the curing time. That's why a bit block is recommended.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #1,320 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AlienEars' intructions are designed to instruct the individual on using the free impression kit that arrives in the mail a couple of days after placing the order. If you are going to have the impressions by a professional audiologist, I think the UE instructions would be best. The ultimate goal is to get the best impressions possible. I did my own as well as those of my 10 y/o son and both of our sets fit perfectly, but most people in this thread opted for professional impressions.
If the audiologist does impressions for hearing aid patients, they will know exactly what to do. Most have opted for "Open Mouth" for that "snug" fit, The important part, once you choose open or closed is to be very careful not to move your jaw during the curing time. That's why a bit block is recommended.

I don't know if not moving your jaw is actually that important. I did a sort of "mouth hanging open" type because the audiologist didn't give me the option of a bite block. I also opened and closed my mouth a little during the procedure. My impressions and monitors came out perfectly. They maintain a seal mouth closed, open, even chewing and yawning. Then again, I've never had a problem fitting any earphones. Maybe my ears are just monitor friendly.
Be advised: the position that you have your jaw in during the procedure will be the position that they fit your ear most perfectly. For example, if I slowly open my mouth with my monitors in, I can feel where I had my jaw during the impressions. You will feel the pressure on your ear canal lessen at that point. However, they are still comfortable in all positions. I would suggest open mouth because you sacrifice an almost infinitely small amount of comfort for an improved seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back