Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #1,081 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE5/SF5EB already are like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

No

They are as follows. Cut and pasted directly from the UE site.

Super.fi 5 Pro Specification - Store - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

The Jaben forum has been floating some mis-information.

UE SF5eb

Internal Speaker Configuration: Two precision balanced armatures

UE SF5Pro

Internal Speaker Configuration: Two precision balanced armatures

Thier "Features" discription makes it sound like they are equiped with some sort of special new hybrid but the listed specs. speak for themselves

Features
Housed within the universal body is an encapsulated subwoofer for the low-end kick and a dedicated speaker for the high and mid-range frequencies

Now I'm not DISing UE in any way. In fact my SF5Pro's are my favorite unversals.

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #1,087 of 1,734
We are now way off topic but

DFKT,
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !!! AND I AM WRONG !!!

I can't believe that my inquiring mind had to know so badly that I did just get off the phone with Brad at UE and he has confirmed that the SF5eb does have a dynamic subwoofer and a B/A mid/high driver. and they will correct the webpage.

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #1,088 of 1,734
Jan 22, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #1,089 of 1,734
I am new to custom IEMs. After reading this thread (all 73 pages of it!), I think I am going to buy the C3s. However, I want the cord option to come from the bottom. I also want to buy a clear cord from UE or Westone. I notice that all of the replaceable cords have a tube or something on the last 2 or so inches of it (I assume this is to make it easier to go around you ear). Does this come off? What is the benefit to having the cords go around your ears if you are not on stage?

Thanks for any help

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #1,090 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am new to custom IEMs. After reading this thread (all 73 pages of it!), I think I am going to buy the C3s. However, I want the cord option to come from the bottom. I also want to buy a clear cord from UE or Westone. I notice that all of the replaceable cords have a tube or something on the last 2 or so inches of it (I assume this is to make it easier to go around you ear). Does this come off? What is the benefit to having the cords go around your ears if you are not on stage?

Thanks for any help

Andre can change quite a few things on request. So just ask him, you may be able to have a C3 with a cord at the bottom.
As far as cords around the ears this is basically a result of the heratige of in ear earpieces being monitors for musicans. It's OK to have cords comming out your ears if you are listening to an ipod on the train, but the lead singer in a band.
Some people will also quote "strain relief". We basically ask yourself, do you need strain relief for normal ipod buds?
Some people prefer the over ears even for ipod use.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #1,091 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE5/SF5EB already are like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

The ue-5 are customs either the ue-5c or the ue5 pro. They both use balanced armatures.and as stated the super.fi 5eb use a dynamic driver for low end.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #1,093 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by jquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All
I just got my free mould kit. 8 Days from USA to Australia
pritty good!
Andre is supplying Mega-Sil SOLOS from Microsonic
Precision impression materials
For anyone who is intrested.
I'll post my results. It may be interesting as I think I'll be doing it to my self with a couple of large well positioned mirrors.

Wow. Doing the mould yourself? I thick get a helping hand will be better.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #1,094 of 1,734
Finally found a place in London that didn't charge a stupid amount to do ear impressions (leighton's optitians), so now I'm just waiting on a reply from Andre about the final question and I'll be pushing the button on a pair of C3's.

With the dollar rate where it is, I can no longer afford custom colours and logo's so I'm just going to get standard colours, but hey, I'm not going to see then when they're in my ears, it's all about the sound. Getting some musician's earplugs for clubbing too.

Can't wait.

J.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #1,095 of 1,734
Well me any my wife attempted doing the impressions this morning.
I can't say it was a stunning success.
Erring on the side is caution too much has led to not enough material
going into the ear canal. Oh well off to pay a fortune to some audiologist I guess.

I think you can get the impression kits for not too much in the USA and I might be tempted to buy more and have another go. However the fact still remains that you will be unable to do the moulds yourself and if your assistant does not have confidence that the whole process is safe then you basically don't have a formula for success.

I think it would only take 10 - 15 tries to get very proficient at this. However the reality is most people wont go down this path.

Unless the prices here are outrageous then I'll be getting the impressions done professionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back