Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Oct 21, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #317 of 1,734
gave Andre a phone call today, he said he should have them tomorrow to ship out and that he would take a picture before he sends them, sooo by tomorrow I will at least know what they look like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #318 of 1,734
That's good news Gatto!
normal_smile .gif
I hope you'll give us a sneak peek as well. I hope that means my c3's are on the way this week too since our impressions arrived at the same time. I haven't called Andre so we'll see if that has any impact on the delivery date. Keep us informed.

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #319 of 1,734
Gatto,
We're so excited for you!! It won't be long untill everybody has thiers so we should have some reviews soon.

Gang,
I did open and closed for one reason only, and my wife can attest to this. I'm so hyper that as long as I'm awake, there isn't a moment when my mouth isn't opening and closing. Usualy with words coming out.

I've been toying with getting the LiveWires but now I see that Sleek Audio and Kleer technologies have a wireless system they claim has "CD quality" sound. The reciever hangs around your neck and plugs into the existing round plug-in of the SA6. Now I don't know if the Sleek round pug-in is the same as LivWires but it looks more like a mini-plug from an a/c power adapter. Anyway the point being the single driver Sleeks seem to be as well tought of here and in other forums as the LiveWires so I'm not sure yet.
I told Hearyourself that Danny's AE1's
are a Christmas present so there was no hurry. I figured he had his hands full with all the monitor orders that hit the lab recently.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #320 of 1,734
Yeah when I asked he said he has been getting a TON of orders, I'm happy for them, they have great customer service.

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #321 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need those ear impressions back too, don't I Stikk?
tongue_smile.gif

You sure do!!
atsmile.gif

Gatto, you'd better post that pic Andre sends you! I can't wait to see what they look like.. i should stop being so excited, mine arent coming for a long time but still, can't help myself. And for the moment, I'll live vicariously through you guys..

Boomy, just so you know, the LiveWires and the Sleeks do NOT use the same connectors. I thought the same thing but I spoke to both companies, LiveWires use a MiniBNC connector (a bit like an antenna connector, but smaller) and the Sleeks use a mini-jack type connector, not 100% sure on the details of their connector but it's definitely not a mini BNC so their Kleer system won't work with LiveWires, unfortunately. I have also heard good things about the CD quality kleer system but I, personally, don't mind being plugged into my iPod so I prolly wouldnt spring for the kleer system. Having said that, I am also considering Sleek customs (just cuz everyone says they're good) or LiveWires, cant afford both, but I'll prolly buy one of them after xmas, if I have any money
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #322 of 1,734
Hey I was thinking about getting some custom art on my C-3s(if I end up ordering them). How good is the art department at HearYourself? The art is pretty intricate. Do you think they could do it? I was thinking about getting it in gold, on electric blue headphones.
Dancing+Ganesha.jpg

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #323 of 1,734
Stikk,
I just bought some UE's super.fi 5 pro with CashBack on ebay. Saved 46.00.
I will have some Sleek SA6's if I can sneak them past my wifey. They supposedly have the same sound signature as their customs so we'll see.
I got some Polyester resin and dyes to try to cast my own custom adapters for both my Senn Cx500's and the new super.fi's on the way. I'll keep you posted.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #324 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stikk,
I just bought some UE's super.fi 5 pro with CashBack on ebay. Saved 46.00.
I will have some Sleek SA6's if I can sneak them past my wifey. They supposedly have the same sound signature as their customs so we'll see.
I got some Polyester resin and dyes to try to cast my own custom adapters for both my Senn Cx500's and the new super.fi's on the way. I'll keep you posted.

I was thinking about it, actually, since the sleeks and the LiveWires use standard connectors, albeit ones that are not that easy to find, you could hypothetically make an adapter for their kleer system quite easily. It would be bulky, though, but if you were brave enough you could cut the minijack off and solder a mini BNC connector directly onto the sleek kleer thing..

I'm interested to see how your custom adapters go, let me know how they work out for ya. Just out of interest; where did you get your resin? I have been looking around for a place to buy that kinda stuff from but I have no idea where to get it from. Also, have you considered making custom cables for your C3s? I was thinking about it this morning, I don't think it would be hard but I would be concerned about the durability of the connector.. I found a really nice cable on eBay but it's like $52 + shipping, and it's for UE headphones so it should fit..

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #325 of 1,734
Stikk,
The wireless option might be to buy the Sleek Kleer unit without the SA6's and find some female plugs for the male ends that go into the Sleeks and solder then to an extra set of cables for our customs. Simple Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative both right and left. Then have the cord meet in back of your neck and allow it to hang like a necklace with the two sides come together in a 3.5mm jack. You could then have a micro-amp between the Kleer reciever and your own customs. Now you got me started. I'll make some drawings and post them as jpegs.
I ordered the Sleek SA6 just a couple of hours ago and used cashback for that too. 47.00 back So After the refund kicks in the super.fi 5 pros will be $145 and the Sleeks will be around the same.
I just went online and got my resin and dyes from craft stores. also some latex rubber molding goo.( the kind they use for face molds ) also at craft stores.
I saw that same supposedly upgraded cable for the UE's and Westones. Both very pricey.It would be interesting to see it and find out what makes it an upgrade from stock. It looks a little stiff. I think I'll just stick with the stock cables from UE and Westone considering they come in so many colors. I will shorten the 3.5mm plug to about 12 " below the Y because I have my connects for my PTH and volume control so close to my lapel that any longer than that just gets in the way. I was going to put 2.5mm plugs at the earloops but now that I can find so many colors with the correct plugs I'll stick with stock. I wonder if people are going to start making high end cables for customs

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #326 of 1,734
Quote:

Stikk,
I just went online and got my resin and dyes from craft stores. also some latex rubber molding goo.( the kind they use for face molds ) also at craft stores.
I saw that same supposedly upgraded cable for the UE's and Westones. Both very pricey.It would be interesting to see it and find out what makes it an upgrade from stock. It looks a little stiff. I think I'll just stick with the stock cables from UE and Westone considering they come in so many colors. I will shorten the 3.5mm plug to about 12 " below the Y because I have my connects for my PTH and volume control so close to my lapel that any longer than that just gets in the way. I was going to put 2.5mm plugs at the earloops but now that I can find so many colors with the correct plugs I'll stick with stock. I wonder if people are going to start making high end cables for customs

Yeh, it is pretty pricey and I may cop some disagreement here but I don't really buy into this whole "silver wire sounds better". Sound, right up until the point it reaches the drivers is just electrons and the electrons don't care if they pass through copper, silver, gold or platinum. Decent quality copper is all you need, in my opinion and I really think this whole high quality cable thing is a bit of a scam
tongue_smile.gif

Having said that, I liked the expensive cable I saw on eBay cuz it's pretty and I'm superficial
tongue_smile.gif
I would like to make a cable that matches my monitors, when they get here, which is why I'm thinking about how I might construct my own...

Btw, did you get your westone cable yet? If so, does it fit the connector on the C3? I assume it wont but I'm interested to see how much modification it takes.. I looked on the Hearyourself website and replacement cables are $60US! Wow, expensive...

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #327 of 1,734
Quote:

Stikk,
The wireless option might be to buy the Sleek Kleer unit without the SA6's and find some female plugs for the male ends that go into the Sleeks and solder then to an extra set of cables for our customs. Simple Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative both right and left. Then have the cord meet in back of your neck and allow it to hang like a necklace with the two sides come together in a 3.5mm jack. You could then have a micro-amp between the Kleer reciever and your own customs. Now you got me started. I'll make some drawings and post them as jpegs.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant by an adapter. The parts should not be too difficult to come by but I don't know what the range is on the Kleer system is..? If you were gonna add an amp, hypothetically, you could add it on either side of the wireless system, if it really is CD quality. I just couldn't really figure what I would use it for, to be honest, it would end up being a similar size to my iPod once you've added all the bits and pieces together.

Jealous of your purchases, by the way, I wanted a pair of SF5s and I would love to try the Sleeks. Maybe I can spend a bit more cash on decent gear once I have a job
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #328 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stikk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeh, it is pretty pricey and I may cop some disagreement here but I don't really buy into this whole "silver wire sounds better". Sound, right up until the point it reaches the drivers is just electrons and the electrons don't care if they pass through copper, silver, gold or platinum. Decent quality copper is all you need, in my opinion and I really think this whole high quality cable thing is a bit of a scam
tongue_smile.gif

I can very honestly say the difference between the FreQ cable and UE custom cable is very real. There is a huge difference. The UE cable is far superior in SQ.

Boomy, I can confirm the Sleek custom is basically the SA6 in a custom shell. Maybe a bit more refined but nothing significant. Once you've figured out what ports work best for you, the custom can be designed to your preference. If you need bigger bass, the wireless unit acts like a bass++ port.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #329 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can very honestly say the difference between the FreQ cable and UE custom cable is very real. There is a huge difference. The UE cable is far superior in SQ.

Really? That surprises me because I have never really understood the science behind the whole cable fiasco.. Surely the system is limited by its weakest component and, in this case, I would think it would be the tiny SMD crossovers in the monitors.. I will have to have a think about this one, I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm a scientifically minded person and I have to know how and why everything works
tongue_smile.gif

Have you still not got your C3s, EyeAmEye?! You're killing me here, I wanna see some pics and get some impressions (pun totally intended). Haha. Any idea when they'll be getting to you?

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #330 of 1,734
I would assume that any micro amp would have to go between the wireless receiver unit and the earphones. you can only amp the audio signal. You can't amp the wireless signal. ( at least not with an audio amp) Think of it like a line out dock. If you amp it before the transmiitter then all you get is the receivers audio signature.

Also since different metals are made up of different elements and different elements have different atomiic densities then the current flow will vary. Not enough for me to notice the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back