Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Oct 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #226 of 1,734
I spoke to Andre today and he said they are working on mine right now, they poured the shells yesterday and didn't like them so today they are repouring them, they also had a problem with my logo, they can't give it a black outline without melting everything which is ok with me. He said they should be done in a few days!

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #227 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stikk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said, I'm not questioning your friend or their knowledge in the subject, they studied these things at a high level and all I am doing is guessing but I can say, from my knowledge of materials and how they behave, I don't see how opening and closing your mouth could give you an "average".

The silicone A/B mixture is like a putty kind of consistency and when it's injected into your ear, it starts to set. If your mouth is closed and your ear canal is contracted, where does the energy come from for the silicone to expand when you open your mouth? If it was a liquid and you had your head on the side then atmospheric pressure would provide the energy but it's not a liquid and behaves more like a solid, even in its most "liquid" state. If your ear canal was open and you contracted it, it would contract but I just fail to see where the force is coming from to expand it again.

Anyway, I did open mouth impressions cuz I heard that they give a better fit/seal. I'm sure your audiologist would not have misled you, I just don't see how it is any different to doing closed mouth impressions..

Just my thoughts
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it takes a bit for the gel to set up. according to the audiologist.

In my case only open mouth might not have worked for my right easr.
My rt ear canal contracts open mouth and expands closed mouth which is the opposite of most people.

Anyway , a lot of the Livewires people have used that system with good results so I guess I at least have a good chance of a good fit.

Andre said not to worry , they will do a refit if it doesn't work.

It may be in my case I would need to do open for left ear and closed for right ear.

You can test yourself for this by putting your little fingers in each ear and open and close your mouth. See if both sides contract and expand at the same time.

BTW, my kid's ears are like mine, must be genetic.

I think the audiologist said opening and closing gives a better impression of the bend in the ear canal, but don't quote me.

At any rate it seems some people get a good seal with either method and some get a bad seal so luck might have something to do with it

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #229 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My fit for livewires was perfect from the get-go with open and cloused mouth impression.

That's great to hear, thanks for posting that, K.
Hopefully I will have as good luck as you.

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #230 of 1,734
Got the word from Andre today that my C3 should be in the mail tomorrow or Friday!

Just to comment on the impressions discussion, I self made four (now five with C3's, but don't have them yet to test the results) impressions, all open mouth, and all fit perfect, no refit needed. I have no idea what method (open, closed, open&closed) works best overall, but the open worked for me.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #231 of 1,734
Just placed my order on some AE1s. $87.50 after cash back. As much as I love my SR60's, they're just not portable or convenient enough to carry around. I just bought a crapload of stuff of ebay now. New work shoes, lunch/work bag, and these
redface.gif
Gotta get off the internet and stop buying stuff lol.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #232 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just placed my order on some AE1s. $87.50 after cash back. As much as I love my SR60's, they're just not portable or convenient enough to carry around. I just bought a crapload of stuff of ebay now. New work shoes, lunch/work bag, and these
redface.gif
Gotta get off the internet and stop buying stuff lol.

I'm really interested to see how the AE1s sound. They are not very expensive at all and I'd really like to know how you like them when they arrive so be sure to post your thoughts!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you may be right, tomjx, I think luck has a bit to do with it
tongue_smile.gif
But I think we're agreed that getting it done professionally increases your chances of success.. EyeAmEye, you don't count cuz whoever is doing your impressions has done more than a professional audiologist anyway! Haha.

Changing the subject, I'm pretty annoyed at Andre. He has ignored my last TWO emails and is not replying to me at all but he's obviously around cuz he's replying to you guys. Also I got an email saying that the USPS had been "electronically notified to accept" the package my mold kit is in (not that I need it) and, to my knowledge, it has not been sent yet.. Any ideas what I should do?

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #234 of 1,734
I usually call him, the # is on the site.

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #236 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually call him, the # is on the site.

Urgh, call him? Hrmm.. Maybe. I have sent him another email and if he doesnt reply by next week, I'll call.

He used to reply within 24hrs every time, I dunno why he has stopped but it's annoying me. Also, being in Australia, calling the US is not only expensive but annoying as well cuz of the time difference and the fact that there's like a second delay between when you say something and when they talk.. So i'd rather get through to him by email..

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #237 of 1,734
Stikk, maybe he has no info for you right now or mayb he is really busy and just responds to a phone call when e has time.
I know I have called sometimes and I get a message.

Anyway I bet everything is OK with your order.

drink some wine, listen to some music and try to forget you even ordered these things. Then, when they arrive you will be pleasantly surprised

that's what I'm trying to do
wink_face.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #238 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stikk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested to see how the AE1s sound. They are not very expensive at all and I'd really like to know how you like them when they arrive so be sure to post your thoughts!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you may be right, tomjx, I think luck has a bit to do with it
tongue_smile.gif
But I think we're agreed that getting it done professionally increases your chances of success.. EyeAmEye, you don't count cuz whoever is doing your impressions has done more than a professional audiologist anyway! Haha.

Changing the subject, I'm pretty annoyed at Andre. He has ignored my last TWO emails and is not replying to me at all but he's obviously around cuz he's replying to you guys. Also I got an email saying that the USPS had been "electronically notified to accept" the package my mold kit is in (not that I need it) and, to my knowledge, it has not been sent yet.. Any ideas what I should do?

You might as well forget trying to track anything via USPS, They have the slowest most unreliable traching system around. Even they say it is updated only once every evening. There only good to show final delivery, which sould post to their tracking site about two days after it gets there. 90% of the time I get my packages while it still says "package info recieved"

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #240 of 1,734
Andre has only one size cable and at this time only two colors. I would guess 48"
Black and Beige. I don't know the exact length because I cut it at about 12" below the 2-3 union. and added a gold tip 3.5mm from Radio Shack because I have so many attachments between my IEM's and my source.

Did your Westone cable fit the Hearyourself plugs ?

I bought a set of Westone Clear from Westone and a white set from Ultimate ears to try them both out for fit but they have not yet arrived.

They both have many more color choices and the plugs look the same in the pictures.

Note Microsonic Music DO NOT FIT !! They have a third pin with no electrical conection I suppose to make sure that the plug can't be attached the wrong way and even if you were to cut the third pin off, the two remaining positve and neutral points are set farther apart than the hearyourself's plugs

Andre is toying with the idea of buying his own machine to make cables in other colors and lengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back