Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Oct 13, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #211 of 1,734
mine are

Picture2.png

this color purple on the inside, it is going to be transparent so you can see all the guts

Picture1-1.png

this pinkish purple on the outside, solid

Picture3.png

I'm going to have a 5 pointed star with a black outline as my custom faceplate, it is going to be the yellow above on the inside

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #212 of 1,734
Sorry to repeat myself, but I only saw the fixed cable Aliens when I was trying out the %30 deal.

Toughnut I guess I just assumed because you are in this thread a bit. I live in the US and I don't like the idea of sending them back and forth after reading the Livewires thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #213 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to repeat myself, but I only saw the fixed cable Aliens when I was trying out the %30 deal.

Toughnut I guess I just assumed because you are in this thread a bit. I live in the US and I don't like the idea of sending them back and forth after reading the Livewires thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have looked several times and always find the C3's w/o problem LiveSearch 30% off.

Keep trying, for 256.00 with cashback it's worth it.

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #216 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Only some of the models show up with certain searches. Go into one of the models that shows up, then hit the "List" link up towards the upper right hand side of the page in the Meet the Seller section. It will then give you all of their models on ebay.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #217 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachkarl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I went to the post office to send my impressions, and it turns out it some bogus holiday. I guess my monitors will be one more day out...

Don't you hate that? Similar thing happened to me, I was waiting on like 3 packages from hong kong and one of them took like 10 days cuz of some HK's time-honored "week-o-holidays" and they all musta been sitting at the post office in HK for like a week cuz they all arrived the same day.

So I emailed Andre and told him I am semi-regretting buying the AE2s and asked if it's still possible to upgrade to the C3s. I just figure I'm spending THIS much money already I may as well go all the way but I am still undecided. I have a few days to decide, though, and I told him I can't afford to spend any more than $400AU all up, which is true, really, cuz after that it starts getting stupidly expensive so I asked if the extra $103AU I have can get me upgraded to the C3s. I dunno what he'll say, we shall see, it may well be too late to change anything now anyway.

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #218 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fiiophile, dont get excited with the 30% discount. S'pore and M'sia has no discount. it only work for US residents
frown.gif

Ahhhh, bad news, bad news.

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #220 of 1,734
Sent my impressions this am right after having them done by the audiologist.

They should arrive thurs. , Fri. latest.

This audiologist has 20+ years experience and is a westone dealer.

She had me open and close the mouth while the gel was setting.

She talked me out of only open mouth.

Interestingly, Livewires recommends this same approach.

Alien Ears recommends closed mouth for only listening and open mouth for singers.

It seems to me the Livewires users complain far LESS than Freq owners about bad fit so opening and closing the mouth might be the way to go.

She then showed me that my left ear canal enlarges with open mouth and the right canal closes with open mouth.
So her method gets the best average.

She showed me a survey of over 1,000 people who did self impressions and pro impressions.
The pro done impressions overwhelmingly had better fit, sound and comfort.

The impressions look great , I double boxed and fedexed them.

So now the wait begins.

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #221 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sent my impressions this am right after having them done by the audiologist.

They should arrive thurs. , Fri. latest.

This audiologist has 20+ years experience and is a westone dealer.

She had me open and close the mouth while the gel was setting.

She talked me out of only open mouth.

Interestingly, Livewires recommends this same approach.

Alien Ears recommends closed mouth for only listening and open mouth for singers.

It seems to me the Livewires users complain far LESS than Freq owners about bad fit so opening and closing the mouth might be the way to go.

She then showed me that my left ear canal enlarges with open mouth and the right canal closes with open mouth.
So her method gets the best average.

She showed me a survey of over 1,000 people who did self impressions and pro impressions.
The pro done impressions overwhelmingly had better fit, sound and comfort.

The impressions look great , I double boxed and fedexed them.

So now the wait begins.

My impressions are also on the way to the lab, should take "3 to 10 days" which is a pretty big margin.. The "express" option using Aus post was twice as expensive and was "3 to 7 days" so I just went with normal
tongue_smile.gif
I looked into both Fedex and DHL and the MINIMUM they charge to send stuff to the US is $99AU which is like $80 more than I paid which is stupid.

I'm not questioning your audiologist but I'm not sure opening and closing your mouth during the impressions is the best method.. My friend gave me some of the silicone A/B stuff and it was pretty viscous, I would think that it would not move once it's in there. Unless your ear canal contracted it and squeezed it? I dunno. I also got mine done by an audiologist, who conveniently was a friend of mine so she did it for free. I think it makes sense to get them done by a professional. I know my friend went to uni for like 4 years and studied nothing but ears, for christs sake! And she does impressions every day at work and I have never done them before so I got her to do my impressions.

On another note, Andre is not replying to my email. I sent it Monday morning (Sun night for him) and it's now Wed morning (Tues night for him) and nothing
frown.gif
I think I finally made him sick of me
tongue_smile.gif
Also, I ordered some stuff from dealextreme a while back and got a shipping confirmation like 4 days ago.. And I just got another one about 2hrs ago.. Hrmm, I hope they sent the stuff twice
k701smile.gif

Uh, ok, long post. I'm on a break at uni and I dont wanna do my assignment. It's due friday so I'd better do it tho.. I'll stop now..

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #222 of 1,734
Re. opening and closing. Livewires recommends this and almost all audiologists I talked to today said opening and closing gets the best impressions.

I have a friend who is a prof. of speech pathology, (PHD from Harvard) who teaches at a well known hearing center who also concurs, so I think I will take their advice.

Their are different types of silicone. The harder , quick set was used for my impressions and the jaw movement gives an average for the ear canal that is optimal, according to the experts I talked to today.

So you have Livewires, with great reviews, a Harvard PHD and numerous audiologists recommending the open/close method for impressions.

Of course, time will tell, but I feel pretty secure with the advice I got.

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #223 of 1,734
I don't think that we will ever agree on whether to get prof. impressions or to do it yourself or to do open or closed mouth, or both. So I guess each person will do whatever is most comfortable for them.
It's great to have opinions but when it comes down to it, It's personal choice. Just like which brand of customs you unltimately choose to buy

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #224 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re. opening and closing. Livewires recommends this and almost all audiologists I talked to today said opening and closing gets the best impressions.

I have a friend who is a prof. of speech pathology, (PHD from Harvard) who teaches at a well known hearing center who also concurs, so I think I will take their advice.

Their are different types of silicone. The harder , quick set was used for my impressions and the jaw movement gives an average for the ear canal that is optimal, according to the experts I talked to today.

So you have Livewires, with great reviews, a Harvard PHD and numerous audiologists recommending the open/close method for impressions.

Of course, time will tell, but I feel pretty secure with the advice I got.

Like I said, I'm not questioning your friend or their knowledge in the subject, they studied these things at a high level and all I am doing is guessing but I can say, from my knowledge of materials and how they behave, I don't see how opening and closing your mouth could give you an "average".

The silicone A/B mixture is like a putty kind of consistency and when it's injected into your ear, it starts to set. If your mouth is closed and your ear canal is contracted, where does the energy come from for the silicone to expand when you open your mouth? If it was a liquid and you had your head on the side then atmospheric pressure would provide the energy but it's not a liquid and behaves more like a solid, even in its most "liquid" state. If your ear canal was open and you contracted it, it would contract but I just fail to see where the force is coming from to expand it again.

Anyway, I did open mouth impressions cuz I heard that they give a better fit/seal. I'm sure your audiologist would not have misled you, I just don't see how it is any different to doing closed mouth impressions..

Just my thoughts
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #225 of 1,734
i did an open mouth impression.
oh no i forgot to stuff soft material into the box which i put my impression. hopefully the postman will treat my package gently.
I sent my impression out via normal post from singapore and the guy say it will take around 5-7 days. It only cost sgd $5 + $2 for shipping and registered mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back