Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Sep 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #1,531 of 1,734
Boomy:

Apart from:
1) the missing driver
2) the wire caught between the faceplate and the shell
3) the not exactly good fit/isolation
4) the extreme difficulties in contacting alien ears (though probably not all their fault)

I have little more to be displeased about. If the monitors had come with the three (3) drivers i had paid for, I probably would have waved off the fit issues as more bad luck on my part.
normal_smile .gif

MaoDi:

I'd already paid for a AE3.
wink.gif
Don't think they can upgrade anymore other than to the C3s. I seriously doubt that they'll do anything though. I will however be informing them of the shipment costs and ask (politely) for a refund on that.

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #1,532 of 1,734
I'm sorry if I offended you. Getting a two driver monitor instead of a three driver as paid for is very concerning and I did not intend to discount your concerns. It's just that patience is not a virute here at Head-Fi and I can admit that it is certainly not one of my virtues. The caught wire may be in the acrylic gule they use to attach the facplates, and for most of us would no be visible as most of our monitors are darker in color. I wish you the best of luck getting in touch with Andre. I know that he has always been willing to go the extra mile for me with any issue I have.

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #1,533 of 1,734
No offence taken Boomy.
beerchug.gif

I sure hope Andre will sort out this problem soon! A 4 month wait for a pair of monitors is just about dragging my patience to the max.

Luckily, I have my new-ish AKGs to keep me company for now
beyersmile.png

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #1,534 of 1,734
See if they can upgrade you to the C3 if you can't get the shipping back. if they have to take out the crossover, add a driver, and resolder all the parts. Then adding the socket shouldn't be a problem. If not, then i guess that's really too bad =(. Good luck! hope the quality is upped a bit from this pair.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #1,538 of 1,734
interesting, very close to the drivers Earsonics uses. Earsonic uses the CI22955 and ED29689 for their universal Sm2, while AE uses CI22955 and ED23619 for their C2. Hmm interesting

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #1,539 of 1,734
There only a handful of companies ( two, the last I read) that make the drivers so there's a good chance that AE will be using some of the same drivers as the others. Freqs were even made in the same lab in Lake Mary Florida. Apparently the art is in the design of the crossovers.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #1,540 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There only a handful of companies ( two, the last I read) that make the drivers so there's a good chance that AE will be using some of the same drivers as the others. Freqs were even made in the same lab in Lake Mary Florida. Apparently the art is in the design of the crossovers.

Just because it's the same brand, doesn't make them the same quality
wink.gif
. The Ci series costs twice as much as the BK, so AE could've easily went with those. So i'll give them that they aren't cheaping out on drivers. But they are definitely in build quality.

The Art is in the tuning AND the crossovers
wink.gif
, Custom drivers also play a big part too.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #1,541 of 1,734
Hi there,

my name is Sylvain, I am new to this forum, although I've been following this thread for months.
I would like to make a few things clear about Alien Ears:

1) fit problems:
I've had this problem myself, and realized later that my first impressions were not good enough and not deep enough. Now here are a few important things you guys need to know: if the impression is not deep enough (doesn't go pass the second bend of the ear canal) your monitors won't fit, neither will they give you a good isolation. Alien ears now make the canal part of the monitor "full shell" which means that they can make your monitors a little "too" long, and then if they go too deep and hurt a little, YOU (or a local audiologist) can modify them (with a simple nail file). That being said, you must realize that ONLY an audiologist can make perfect impressions. You need to ask them to "force" the material a little for the impression to be tight. You also want to hold your neck straight (instead of looking at your feet) during the impression taking, for your monitors not to pop out when you raise your head. You also want to bite something for your mouth to stay evenly opened.

2) build quality:

What do you expect from ear monitors priced as Alien Ears?!? For the price, I think they look VERY good! (Mine do actually)

I just wanted to make this statement, to stand up for Alien Ears which is an awesome company...

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #1,542 of 1,734
The price shouldn't affect the build quality. It's hand on work, and it's the same materials other companies use; Hard Acrylic. The closing, and the caring of the monitor while makingt he monitor is just horrible it's all scratched up, the soldering is poor. Overall it's just poorly built. Westone makes the ES1 and the CR1, and they are both far superior in terms of build quality yet costing the same price.

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #1,543 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price shouldn't affect the build quality. It's hand on work, and it's the same materials other companies use; Hard Acrylic. The closing, and the caring of the monitor while makingt he monitor is just horrible it's all scratched up, the soldering is poor. Overall it's just poorly built. Westone makes the ES1 and the CR1, and they are both far superior in terms of build quality yet costing the same price.

Well said. I hate to keep being a UM whore, but look at UM's monitors! They are works of art. I've seen plenty of UEs, Westones, JHs and NONE of them left as much of an impression as the images of UniqueMelodie's IEMs... and they are very inexpensive!

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #1,544 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said. I hate to keep being a UM whore, but look at UM's monitors! They are works of art. I've seen plenty of UEs, Westones, JHs and NONE of them left as much of an impression as the images of UniqueMelodie's IEMs... and they are very inexpensive!

Well stated, i agree to it. The clarity, and work of UM is more than magnificent. If i were to rate the look of build quality for Custom monitors, UM would stand at the top while AlienEars at the moment sits at the very bottom.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #1,545 of 1,734
My C3's were so horrible in every way (sound, Fit Build quality) that I was completely turned off customs for some time.

They have a ringing distortion that makes them unlistenable.

I forgot how bad they were until I used them on a gig tonight. They were so terrible I had to take them out and listen over the noise w/o monitors.

They have been an absolute waste of my time and money.
The fit in the left ear was fine , so it's not just a fit issue. The ringing and distortion is just as bad in the left as in the right monitor.

Rarely has a purchase left me feeling so ripped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back