Hearing new details in new headphones is a myth
Jul 10, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #91 of 116

Quote:
... I'm sure you don't correct strangers on the street when they use words incorrectly.

You don't???
I hardly do it online, however.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #92 of 116
I hear you Joelby, and I hear where your coming from. As for the topic of the OP, like many have stated I also find sometimes new elements in music I know well when listening through better equipment. I'm sure much of it was there before, but with the increased resolution good equipment provides the various pieces of the music become much better defined and thus noticeable. Cheers.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #93 of 116

Quote:
I hear you Joelby, and I hear where your coming from. As for the topic of the OP, like many have stated I also find sometimes new elements in music I know well when listening through better equipment. I'm sure much of it was there before, but with the increased resolution good equipment provides the various pieces of the music become much better defined and thus noticeable. Cheers.

Pretty much coming to the same conclusion.

I brought both my miracles and ibuds to work tonight to do a bit of testing. Source is an iphone 3GS. I'm finding it very difficult to find details with the miracles that cannot be heard on the ibuds. The closest I've gotten so far is the track "Kafir!" by death metal band Nile. On this track, I believe that I cannot hear the bass guitar on the ibuds. It's only barely trackable on the Miracles. However, I feel like my mind might be playing tricks on me as I try to strain to hear the bass. So it's not exactly the ace in the hole I was looking for. I'll continue to test this out. I don't have a huge library of music on my phone so tomorrow may bear more fruit.

Going back and forth with these phones really makes me appreciate the miracles. Even though details may be audible on the ibuds, they just aren't enjoyable. For instance, on that same Nile track there's a point where the drummer strikes a really deep tom-tom that's very laid back in the mix and only on the right channel. On the ibuds this sounds very 1 dimensional, flat and is easliy forgotten. On the miracles the drum is alive with nice, deep body and resonance.

So maybe it's difficult to argue that you can hear completely new sounds with higher end phones. But can we define flat, lifeless presentation of instruments verses rich, full charactered presentation (ie refinement) as gaining detail?

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #94 of 116
Yes, the details are more detailed, as in better defined and easier to spot. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #95 of 116

Quote:
Pretty much coming to the same conclusion.

I brought both my miracles and ibuds to work tonight to do a bit of testing. Source is an iphone 3GS. I'm finding it very difficult to find details with the miracles that cannot be heard on the ibuds. The closest I've gotten so far is the track "Kafir!" by death metal band Nile. On this track, I believe that I cannot hear the bass guitar on the ibuds. It's only barely trackable on the Miracles. However, I feel like my mind might be playing tricks on me as I try to strain to hear the bass. So it's not exactly the ace in the hole I was looking for. I'll continue to test this out. I don't have a huge library of music on my phone so tomorrow may bear more fruit.

Going back and forth with these phones really makes me appreciate the miracles. Even though details may be audible on the ibuds, they just aren't enjoyable. For instance, on that same Nile track there's a point where the drummer strikes a really deep tom-tom that's very laid back in the mix and only on the right channel. On the ibuds this sounds very 1 dimensional, flat and is easliy forgotten. On the miracles the drum is alive with nice, deep body and resonance.

So maybe it's difficult to argue that you can hear completely new sounds with higher end phones. But can we define flat, lifeless presentation of instruments verses rich, full charactered presentation (ie refinement) as gaining detail?

Either there is something wrong with me or I hear no bass guitar in this song.  Or it is so well masked in the song I don't even notice it.  If the bassist is playing at the same time the drummer is playing blast beats, that is almost impossible to separate.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #96 of 116

Quote:
Either there is something wrong with me or I hear no bass guitar in this song.  Or it is so well masked in the song I don't even notice it.  If the bassist is playing at the same time the drummer is playing blast beats, that is almost impossible to separate.

Nile doesn't have a bassplayer. They don't need feeble, mortal bass with all those mummies moaning in their deep baritones alongside the guitars. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #97 of 116
  Quote:
Hearing new details in new headphones is a myth

Well, depends on quality of headphones. For example if you jump from some ****ty 30$ phones to 300$ ones obviously you will hear tons of new details and nuances, if youre not totally deaf.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #98 of 116
This is a perfect example for Hi-End Audio 101. Topic: "You can see the forest but not the trees" and "You can see the trees from the forest" . Give it a thought or two.

If you comprehend it then, there is no need for this discussion. You are indeed an audiophile with a listening skill. If you cannot, then you are a common civilian who loves music, period.

Let's keep thing simple.

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #101 of 116
A friend who has been enjoying Led Zep's Stairway To Heaven for years had a listen to my ipod with a FiiO E5 and Grado SR80. She discovered that for all of those years hse had misheard one of the lyrics. A decent pait of headphones made that clear to her. So the details were there, but the clarity was lacking.

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #102 of 116

Quote:
Nile doesn't have a bassplayer. They don't need feeble, mortal bass with all those mummies moaning in their deep baritones alongside the guitars. 

Then what in the world is the guy I quoted talking about?!

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #104 of 116
Blackbeardben:

Your graph is flawed. The x-axis says 0 all the way and therefor, so does the entire graph.
(maybe it just on my computer it says 0 all the way? if that's the case how much more "sweet time" does the Lady Gaga take? can that difference in any case make a difference on sound?)

"...look at how fast the HD 800 driver responds to the DC impulse of the square wave - near instantaneously.  The Lady Gaga instead takes its own sweet time..."

Rest of the thread and head-fi.org:
I think there's lots of different definitons on the word "detail" here.

"Yes, the details are more detailed, as in better defined and easier to spot."

Have a nice weekend all of you.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #105 of 116
Well, if the headphones cant output it, you cant hear it. If they cant make the frequency noticable then you most likely will not hear it. Higher end headphones make it easier to hear the parts and bring them out. So if we use a little big of logic here, a 10$ pair of cheapy cheap headphones are not going to bring out that sound, meaning that if you cant hear it because the headphones cant re-create it then headphones that can will reveal those details. So yes, you CAN hear things that you cant before. I'm starting to hate the audio elitists that dont use logic or their ears. Some people can hear people talking in the background of recordings, a cheapy cheap headphone wont do that. So your logic is faulted. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back