Hearing Loss
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #62 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the biggest threat are the Earphones...they exert lot of sound pressure directly focussed on the ear canal.

also, since they dont block the external sound..the Loudness of Earphones gets Added to Loudness of external environment.
thereby increasing the dB level to dangerous levels.

i noticed this yesterday while in a mall on friday evening..damn ..i immediately switched it off.

So now i have more reasons to get a good IEM..and realise their importance.

So if I understand it correctly, the consenus is that IEMs are less susceptible to hearing loss because of better isolation, which allows one to hear the details at lower volume ?

I used to think the reverse, that IEMs are more susceptible to hearing loss because the woofers are deeper into the ear canal, but recent headphone experience get me re-thinking this.

Until recently all my listening was done with speakers, but then I moved into a smaller apartment which do not have the room for my speaker system to work properly. Since then I have been listening to headphones. Despite the low volume and short listening sessions, I noticed the ringing with my ears get worse. I then got myself the Sony PFR-V1 personal field monitor which allows distance and dispersion between the woofers and the ears. Better but not enough of an improvement for me either. In fact the base duct of this conception protruding into the beginning of the ear canal appears to cause too much of an irritation. My case is probably not a common one though. Too bad, I guess headphones are just not suitable for myself.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #64 of 78
I got my el cheapo SPL meter today... Analogue would been easier with a digital display... I seem to be around 80 db average so I guess I am on the sweet spot
wink.gif

I don´t know how accurate these readings are though since the driver is not centered on Ultrasones...

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #65 of 78
According to online tests, at least, I have trouble hearing anything above 15 Khz (can sometimes very faintly pick up 16 Khz). I'm 25. I'm much more careful now than I used to be in terms of not listening to headphones for long periods of time. I was never one to go to a lot of concerts. I did used to mow the lawn without ear protection when I was a teenager, though.

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #66 of 78
About.com: http://www.digital-recordings.com/hearing-test/ht-products.html

This seemed quite good. Now my computer is quite old and I don´t know how well my headphones does with the deepest bass notes. But well I could hear everything up to 18000 hertz anyway. 20000 I got distortion but that was on the very limit or so I am sure. I was a bit surprised that I actually seemed to have slightly better hearing on my right ear... I always felt that played a little lower... But that is maybe exactly the reason
wink.gif
. But it was the same on both but I had to focus more with my left ear
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I take it easy on the headphones. I only listen maybe an hour a day, usually to jazz or classical at low levels.

You have: RS-1, HP-2, HF-1, K-1000, K-701, K-501, K-340, K-240DF, HD-650, HD-600, HD-414, DT48, DT880, MDR-SA5000, ATH-6, Aperio Alpha

And you only listen to quiet jazz and classical for one hour a day? Why the huge headphone collection then?

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #68 of 78
Here's a test report from last year with some personal info removed:

2whfjnm.jpg

I had this test because I was experiencing extreme vertigo and dizziness. They never did figure out why that was happening, an inner-ear problem was ruled out. Fortunately it went away after a few months.

This test report only goes up to about 8kHz. From what I can determine from online tests I think my hearing goes up to between 16kHz-17kHz. I'm 30 years old for reference. It shows my left ear is slightly better than my right, which I already thought was the case before taking the test. It's only a very slight difference though so it doesn't really bother me much, nuthin' I can do about it anyway.

Imagine if we had something like the Matrix today. Because it would be interfacing directly with our brains we would all have perfect hearing. 0Hz-4,294,967,296Hz would probably be interesting.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #69 of 78
"Causes of Hearing Loss" from the Mayo Clinic: Hearing Disorders Causes - Mayo Clinic

"Tips to Prevent Hearing Loss" from the Mayo Clinic: Mayo Clinic - Tips to Prevent Hearing Loss

Here's a snippet from the second one:

Give your ears a rest — Alternate noisy and quieter activities. In addition to the intensity, how long you're exposed to a noise can affect hearing loss. In fact, noise that ranks lower on the decibel scale, but continues for a longer period of time, may actually be more harmful than a high-intensity noise that's intermittent.

More tips: http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/pro...icle16093.html

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #70 of 78
I can´t live without my computer
frown.gif
. Though I doubt it´s that loud it can really damage my hearing. Though I am sure it increases stress hormons quite a bit.

I would die for a pill or something that makes you temporary death to be able to enjoy absolute silence for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/snip the woofers and the ears. Better but not enough of an improvement for me either. In fact the base duct of this conception protruding into the beginning of the ear canal appears to cause too much of an irritation.

have studied in the area...
In ears are more likely to cause damage than open headphones (large pressure is applied DIRECTLY to the canal/eardrum since the loudspeakers are essentially moving air which exerts a force that dissipates the further you are away from the source...)
open headphones are more likely to cause damage than phones that stop sound leaking in
speakers and closed headphones are both less likely than the above to cause damage (distance for speakers + lack of outside noise for the cans).

Sharp volume increases (i.e. rock concerts where they start LOUD or turning your headphones on at high volume straight away) is more likely to cause damage than listening to loud sounds (say, 100 db) for several hours. (Feedback through speakers from excessive gain is very damaging).
Anything over 120db as heard at the ear will cause immediate pain (in most cases) and will likely result in hearing damage.
Concerts are bad for hearing - you have a loud band + loud people = large amounts of noise pollution.
Bass is more likely to cause hearing damage than highs (and generally the high frequencies are the first to go - first perception of difference between tones and then you will lose the sound entirely)

the general borderline-safe accepted listenning level is 80 db for 4 hours nonstop (thats about talking volume, btw) or 100 db for 1.5-2 hours.
I recomend you train you actively practise in listening to music at lower levels, resist the urge to stand right next to a rock group (or infront of brass in a big band), and start soft and THEN turn up.

Another good practise would be to apply replay gain to your library so they are all the ~same volume song to song...

happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: as a side note, not all hearing loss is permenant. If you experience loud feedback through speakers once, there is a chance you will recover the frequencies that will likely be lost. So be sure to support musicians by going to concerts
wink.gif

EDIT:: dB meters are only so useful because outside sounds will vary and are generally ignored. But all of it is a contributing factor(!)
EDIT::: i recommend you get a pair of ear plugs to take to concerts that are moulded for you (should cost beteen 20 and 60 dollars for most materials + places). I cant be bothered explaining what exactly they do, but you should have a limited understanding.
EDIT:::: figured i'd clarify why headphones arent as damaging as they seem. Let's say the pair had one loudspearker per cup, and the speaker was the entire diameter of the cup. The centre of the loudspeaker is ideally where your ear canal opening is. This is the -quietest- part of the speaker (to my understanding), and as you get further away the louder (and more coloured) the sound becomes - like hitting a kettle drum/timpani. The outer parts of the speaker are aimed towards the ear (not the opening) which then funnels the sound towards the canal whilst reducing pressure exerted etc. (someone can correct me on this if they feel the need).

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #72 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/snip
I had this test because I was experiencing extreme vertigo and dizziness. They never did figure out why that was happening, an inner-ear problem was ruled out. Fortunately it went away after a few months. /snip

probably caused by either vitamin D deficiency or pressure in the ear caused by sinusitis even though the test dismisses pressure, it could have dissipated etc. or excessive wax that was interfering with balance (seriously). glad it worked out for you, some people have pulsatile tinnitus for a long time from this type of thing
wink.gif
. You may still have some pressure there (and may be unable to "pop" that ear), but your brain also may have become accustomed.

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #73 of 78
Hearing loss/pain from listening too loud is not instant. The results of loudness earlier in life often hit hard later. I try to listen at the lowest possible volume for enjoyment, which is about 65dB peaks.

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #74 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In ears are more likely to cause damage than open headphones (large pressure is applied DIRECTLY to the canal/eardrum since the loudspeakers are essentially moving air which exerts a force that dissipates the further you are away from the source...)
open headphones are more likely to cause damage than phones that stop sound leaking in
speakers and closed headphones are both less likely than the above to cause damage (distance for speakers + lack of outside noise for the cans).

Thank you for the insight. I was advised essentially the same thing, with the exception that in a quiet enviroment open heaphones are less susceptible to hearing loss than closed headphone, because it allows better dissipation of sound pressure. Also electrostatic. Make sense ?

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #75 of 78
I have a question: We all know that older people in general have reduced hearing, but, is it from outside noise or is it completely, 100% natural like aging, nutrition, exercise, etc?

Personally, I believe that it's not completely natural, everyday noises whittles the hearing down slowly everyday, even if it's under 85db. The reason why people said that 85 and under is completely safe IMO, is only because it's too small to be tested and measured.

I also found this article. Nutrition does matter
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_fnut/_ti...earingloss.htm

I also took a hearing test two months ago as well. No problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back