Hearing Loss
Jan 19, 2009 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

hogger

New Head-Fier
Thought-Having made the switch from hifi listening with speakers to headphones, how many of you have suffered hearing loss because you don't realize how loud your volume is?
atsmile.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 78
No, because the first thing everybody serious in this hobby should understand is hearing damage. Every single audio equipment from a large company has an informative slip in the package warns you something about "don't listen too loud".

All of the custom/high end audio shops I've been to made sure to not turn the volume up excessively, whereas places like Bose and International Stereo makes their customers think that the ability to play loud is indicative of quality.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 78
if it hurts, its WAY too loud.

i didnt know much about hearing loss until a little before i got into this hobby. unfortunately, this was after my lets go to metal concerts all week and drive with the top down AND listen to music on the highway.

i am eagerly awaiting medical breakthroughs to at least get rid of this tinnitus.

there are a number of us here that find 80dB very loud, while some here find it a minimum to enjoy music.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't have to hurt to be too loud.

Certainly. But if it hurts, it's too loud. Most people aren't even aware of this.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 78
seems my right ear is a lil damaged...

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 78
I'm not sure what the dB is, but I listen to music just a tad over the volume of the shower running, maybe. I feel that is a fairly decent area of not too low but not too high while still being able to enjoy the music. I am fairly sure my ears do not have much damage.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 78
Take it from someone 40+ (and I do mean +++) who has abused his hearing for many, many years - damage does happen. I've spent too much time at concerts, listened to high volumes with headphones, home & car audio systems, worked around very loud equipment and even shooting firearms. I have tinnitus in both ears - which is exacerbated by the amount of caffeine I drink and the rest of my stressful life. The ringing gets worse at bedtime - so far I'm usually able to tune it out, but I fully expect my senior years to not be pleasant.

So kiddies - although you may think you are indestructible and immortal - I'm here to tell you you're not!
jam.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 78
That's funny BillyBob, we must have gone to the same school of rock! I am still working inside loud equipment(locomotives), but they are rated for 80db for the EMD's and less for the GE's and the company says we don't have to wear protection inside the cab. I hear the ringing right now-scary. Thanks for the reponses, was just curious because with the heqdphones I think we tend to listen to music for longer periods at louder levels than we realize. Three hours maybe a good idea-thanks.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 78
I was exposed to hearing protection early on - we'd wear plugs in marching band. We needed to in the tuba section, it got loud. Other than that, I'm careful to wear plugs when using power tools, firearms and headphones. And I take it easy on the headphones. I only listen maybe an hour a day, usually to jazz or classical at low levels. I've been on something of a loudspeaker kick since picking up a pair of AMTs. I use those at low levels, too.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #15 of 78
I'm pretty sure my hearing has suffered from too much volume throughout my life. From rock concerts, music at home, drag races, etc... I'm in my late 50's now.

In tuning my system using Hi-Fi test CD's, I found that I apparently don't hear much above 10-11 Khz. I'm almost ready to just chuck the tweeters as unnecessary.
smily_headphones1.gif
On the plus side, my hearing seems resonably sensitive to the frequencies that I can still hear.

I also picked up a Galaxy CM-140 SPL meter not too long ago, and discovered that I often listened to my speakers at up to 85 db or so, which seems quite loud. My wife can't tolerate it at that level. Of course she also can't tolerate it when I run the test CD up past 11 Khz either, and I'm asking her in disbelief "You can hear that?" as she's screaming at me to turn it down.

One thing I've noticed lately, is that as my music system has improved, to sound more accurate, I haven't felt the need to use as much volume.

And with my recent addition of headphones, the volume has been kept very moderate. Hopefully I can save some of the hearing I have left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back