Hearing Loss
Jan 19, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #16 of 78
so far nothing i dont think for me and i plan to keep it that way. the most amount of volume ill put on is the half way meter in my sansa fuze and with a few pushes for the + on my fiio e5 and thats it. i would consider it average for listening volume.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #17 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get a dB meter. I find that 60 dB gets way too loud, but that's just me.

Thats way less then even normal conversation, cars must destroy you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by booboohihi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we should take good care of oru ears......dont use the headphone or earphone for over 3/Hs a day.

You can use them as long as you wan't, the periods of time are only valid for certain volumes, which most of the people that listen to hifi already find to loud anyway.

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 78
I use to listen up to 4 hours a day, 7 days a week at high volumes during chaotic office hours. I felt my left ear is quite screw*d up already so I did a hearing test and found out I can only hear frequencies 30-16khz. Realizing the consequences, I now only listen few songs in about average volume with at least 2 days of rest in a week. Guess what? It doesn't make my hearing any better (damage is permanent)neither it makes it anything worse. No more blasting for me, just sweet sounding music

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #19 of 78
Once you start listening at a low level, you get used to it and higher levels are painful. I bought a SPL meter and started listening at 65-70dB and after a few months, 85dB was painfully loud. Everyone who cares about their hearing should get an SPL meter.

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #21 of 78
have hearing lost, but not from headphone
most likely from wood shop and the M9 airsoft I have purchased lately

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #22 of 78
Aside from just watching the volume level, I've maintained far-better-than-average hearing for several years of the headphone hobby by following these guidelines:

1. Never turn up the volume to block out external sources. Use an earplug / closed headphone if this is your purpose.

2. Use earplugs at concerts and loud events.

3. Don't confuse "volume" for "dynamics." If you want more punch, consider a different headphone or amplifier / dac.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #24 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm careful to wear plugs when using power tools, firearms and headphones.

What!! you wear earplugs when using headphones???
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #28 of 78
I have some mild tinnitus (No real idea how), but I can still hear up to around 19,750 Hz or so.

I've been considering going to the doctor to get my ears flushed and looked at just to see if I can help clear some of the tinnitus up. I've also started wearing earplugs at night to keep *all* sound out, which has helped the tinnitus a bit, but not completely.

I'm not sure of the volume I listen at, but it's significantly lower than any of my coworkers listen. Whenever I let them use my headphones they crank my EMU 0404 up quite a bit.
frown.gif
I usually keep it around 1/4 to 1/3 of maximum volume, sometimes 1/2 if I'm using higher impedance headphones and the recording is naturally lower in volume.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #29 of 78
One of the biggest threat are the Earphones...they exert lot of sound pressure directly focussed on the ear canal.

also, since they dont block the external sound..the Loudness of Earphones gets Added to Loudness of external environment.
thereby increasing the dB level to dangerous levels.

i noticed this yesterday while in a mall on friday evening..damn ..i immediately switched it off.

So now i have more reasons to get a good IEM..and realise their importance.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #30 of 78
I know with my left ear, it sounds like the volume is turned down a little bit.

Not bad though... I don't mind it.

On my Zune (with MS1's) I keep the volume at 13. This volume sounds not bad to me and I haven't gt any ear fatigue/pain yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back