Hearing loss associated with IEM's?
Jun 24, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #91 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoever says that is talking out of their arse. The one major fact, being that hearing-aids fit into your ears almost exactly like IEMs. In fact E2s look a bit like hearing-aids.

Don't you think manufacturers of hearing-aids would be pretty obligated to produce comfy/non-dangerous things which would be in your ear every waking moment.

It was a guy in an original post that was a few years old. His med student GF and her doctor father said he shouldn't put anything in his ears. Which seems ridiculous since people wear hearing aids every day. Many people wear earplugs everyday without any problems. As long as they're kept clean and you use a safe volume level, they're fine.

It's a person's own damn fault if they choose to misuse the IEM and blast loud, damage causing sound into their ears. We all know when it's "too loud", so I don't see how these ear damaging people can stand it.

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #92 of 99
Most cases of tinnitus are due to repetitive exposure to high noise levels. Most, but not all cases. Also, hearing sensitivity varies from person to person. Some people will develop tinnitus after less frequent exposure to loud noises, and some people are less prone to developing tinnitus. But, the greater the exposure to loud noises, the greater the risk.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #93 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a person's own damn fault if they choose to misuse the IEM and blast loud, damage causing sound into their ears. We all know when it's "too loud", so I don't see how these ear damaging people can stand it.

The real tragedy is that most people don't know what 'too loud' sounds like.

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #94 of 99
Here's a link to a site that publishes the exposure tables from OSHA. The standard considers 85 db safe for up to 16 hours per day. OSHA Noise: U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Administration Noise Exposure Standards - Acoustics.com

Here's a frequency-related graph.
10gfg_9.gif

(Occupational noise exposure. - 1910.95)

Of course, I have absolutely no idea how one measures sound volume between the IEM & the ear drum...

For comparison, here is a chart of sample sound volumes (db). Here is a site that includes construction-related noise issues. US CDC noise in construction site

2.jpg

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #95 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by briank996 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The real tragedy is that most people don't know what 'too loud' sounds like.

Bad earphones don't help the cause either i.e. Default iBuds that lack bass and since a lot of teenage guys like bass....= crank it louder....

Loudness War'ed tracks also a factor.
Also since most people dunno how to wear earbuds properly and thus crap isolation = crank it louder.
I hate to say it but I have been guilty of this at times.

Well, Ety have got the 'Loud Enough' range....

As with anything, education helps.
I probably have sensitive ears (eyes = total crap, my eyes are shaped like NFL footballs and I'm pretty useless without my glasses therefore other senses such as my sense of smell and ear sensitivity get better) and a bit of tinnitus as well. The tinnitus could be a from a number of things such as flights and well, my sensitive nose resulting in partially genetic-induced hayfever. I need to see a otolaryngologist (a ear nose throat doctor)...*sigh*
frown.gif

Always have to pop my ears.

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #96 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, Ety have got the 'Loud Enough' range....

Those are by UE, I believe.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #97 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by MediumFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
]
2.jpg

Well, pretty useless. Those are all tools. Only some sort of buiilder/engineer is going to hear any of those a lot.

Make more sense to use everyday stuff, like a hairdryer or a Lions roar.

I think a hairdryer is about 75-80dB, which I think is good music 'listening too-levels'. So, do a comparison.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #98 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by MediumFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, I have absolutely no idea how one measures sound volume between the IEM & the ear drum...

For comparison, here is a chart of sample sound volumes (db). Here is a site that includes construction-related noise issues. US CDC noise in construction site

Quote:

Well, pretty useless. Those are all tools. Only some sort of buiilder/engineer is going to hear any of those a lot.

Make more sense to use everyday stuff, like a hairdryer or a Lions roar.

I think a hairdryer is about 75-80dB, which I think is good music 'listening too-levels'. So, do a comparison.

Did you check the link. It has non construction equipment, mostly environmental noise levels. This Headwise article has more information HeadWize - Article: Preventing Hearing Damage When Listening With Headphones (A HeadWize Headphone Guide)

Here's a couple of posts on how you can measure with an SPL meter. I'm sure they're not perfect, but you can get at least a ball park figure.

Here's how I measure IEM SPL. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2850576-post102.html

From the same thread, here's how to measure SPL for a full sized can http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2767153-post42.html

From what I've read, the best measure for IEMs is done by an audiologist with a small microphone in your ear with the IEMs in place.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #99 of 99
Quote:

Make more sense to use everyday stuff, like ... a Lions roar.

lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back