Hearing Loss: Aging & Noise Exposure Effects
Feb 3, 2003 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

j-curve

100+ Head-Fier
I came across this while looking for something else and thought it might be of interest:-
attachment.php

Expected 35dB hearing loss at 6kHz between the ages of 20 and 60. Does that sound right???
Full article here.

A redeeming quote? Quote:

Some researchers reject the idea that a certain amount of hearing loss is inevitable simply because we grow older. In other words, these scientists believe that, if a person protects his or her hearing throughout life, there should be little or no loss.

Feb 4, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 10
I listen to my music a lot quieter now than I used to but I would still like to find out just how loud that is. Anyone know of a way of measuring such? I've been recommended some kind of measuring tool that RadioShack (I think it was sound pressure level?) but it was said it's not very accurate.

Feb 4, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mulveling
YEAH! They only make up 1% of this board anyways! Why do they get more robust hearing? big_lebowski_nihilist_voice: "It's not fair!"
wink.gif

Mike U.

"***** you. ***** the three of you. Without the hostage there is no ******** money."

What an underrated movie... man.

Feb 4, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 10
I find that chart pretty hard to believe. I'm 54 and, since I think the Beyer DT-831s are bright 'phones, then for people in their 20s they must be unbearable. According to the chart, my hearing is down around 40 dB at 6000 Hertz. I don't think so..........at least, I hope not.
frown.gif

Feb 4, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 10
I also think that those numbers seem strangely high! There must be some experts in here who knows about the Hearing Threshold Level. Can anyone confirm these are realistic figures?

My reassuring thought is that, since the backgroung noise in a quiet bedroom is typically at least 30dBSPL, even a threshold level rising up to 30dB is not really critical, is it? In the end, you still can perfectly any real world sound that is typically above 40dB SPL!

Listening to some music at 70-80dBSPL, with say a good 40dB of effective dynamic range, this threshold should not affect your listening experience too much I believe. If it does, well, just crank up the volume such that the threshold level is no issue anymore
wink.gif
. In live recording conditions, I doubt the background noise can significantly drop below 30dBSPL.

Arnaud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back