Hearing Aid + Headphones rig [Come on people...]
Jun 8, 2012 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

WiR3D

We intend to hurt him...quite a bit. very_evil_smiley.gif
SOOO I first put together a list and did a hell of a lot of research on a Vinyl + Phono + amp + HP rig for my dads 50th, then I found out how bad his hearing loss is, especially in the midrange.

I was considering the Allesandro MS2/Grado SR325 (with G-Cush pads) (and a $1100 budget for the entire rig including source)

He has Siemens life 501 Behind the ear hearing aid (1 for now, in the process of getting another). And I have read of on and off success with headphones, mainly people have success with bose. I also read that with the newer digital aids (such as the ones my dad has) that if the headphone is large enough it wraps around the aid aswell and its not a problem at all, but i kept reading about T-coils and such and how it really didn't work with headphones.

I also figured if my dad wants to listen to music without the aids he would need an equalizer, but I am hesitant, I know passives are the best, but they aren't very flexible, and cost way too much. Also a passive is really the only option with vinyl (open to correction.)

I was thinking of getting some kind of source (CD player) with extensive QUALITY EQ capabilities and an amp and the Allesandros/Grado SR325 again. But I am vastly out of my depth, despite all the reading and research I have done. 

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 4
People with sensorineural hearing loss have recruitment: they can hear loud sounds normally, or are even hypersensitive to them, but soft sounds are too soft. So the goal is to increase the loudness of soft sounds, while applying compression to loud sounds. This is why hearing aids have different frequency responses for different loudness levels. You will not be able to easily EQ headphones and "reverse" his audiogram, so to speak.

It's best to just get a standard headphone and then let his hearing aid do all the work. Do not EQ the headphone or else the hearing aid may be unable to compensate. Also, if his hearing aid is an inexpensive one, it won't be able to handle music well.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
People with sensorineural hearing loss have recruitment: they can hear loud sounds normally, or are even hypersensitive to them, but soft sounds are too soft. So the goal is to increase the loudness of soft sounds, while applying compression to loud sounds. This is why hearing aids have different frequency responses for different loudness levels. You will not be able to easily EQ headphones and "reverse" his audiogram, so to speak.

It's best to just get a standard headphone and then let his hearing aid do all the work. Do not EQ the headphone or else the hearing aid may be unable to compensate. Also, if his hearing aid is an inexpensive one, it won't be able to handle music well.

from what I read that siemens model is not cheap, not the TOTL, but not cheap. Thanks for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back