Heard a new portable headphone today...the Marshall Major
Feb 1, 2011 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

JGOelfke

100+ Head-Fier
Until today I was unaware that Marshall even made headphones. I listened to some Majors for an hour or two today and I must say, for $100 dollars, they were a very impressive headphone. They are incredibly easy to drive (easily powered out of an ipod or even a phone).

I'll start off with my impression of the bass. It was very lively and clean bass, without being too boomy. I really like this in a headphone. It managed to keep up with rap/hip-hop and still sounded great in bands like Steve Miller Band or Bruce Springsteen.

The mids and highs were the most impressive aspect of these headphones, in my opinion. A lot of headphones seem to have somewhat recessed mids with bright highs, especially when the bass is as present as it is in these. They were very present and the layering of the sound seemed very good. Still maintained a very lively sound.

The Majors had very good passive isolation. They are on-ear headphones (of which I have never been the biggest fan), but they are very comfortable and seem that they could be worn for extended periods of time. Overall, for $100, it is a TON of headphone. If anyone else has heard these, let me know your opinion! I was pleasantly surprised.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 31

Quote:
Just clicked the site and the Major Minors look very interesting.

Yeah they do. I've been looking for a good IEM for a while, especially for listening while laying down, etc. They weren't at the store I was at today, but I would love to hear them.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 31
I'm so unsure about these headphones. I really do like the looks of it and I could get one for like 80$, but they share so many similarities (they're made by the same company, similar build, also the few specs we have are almost the same) with Urbanears Plattan that I'm really thinking they have the same driver inside. Which would be quite sad, knowing how much those suck (the =2211]freq. response of Plattans is a crime). According to that graph they literally have no highs. Anyone who tried the Major could tell whether it's the same with them?

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 31
Sure it is. Though I did a proper comparison and there are differences in the specs (sensitivity, max imput power to be exact) so the driver in the Major could be an new/updated one. However it had to be hell of an update to sound even half decent. Meh, dunno, I'm dying for the looks but it's far from a best buy.

Quote:
that frequency response is truly terrifying.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
I'm so unsure about these headphones. I really do like the looks of it and I could get one for like 80$, but they share so many similarities (they're made by the same company, similar build, also the few specs we have are almost the same) with Urbanears Plattan that I'm really thinking they have the same driver inside. Which would be quite sad, knowing how much those suck (the =2211]freq. response of Plattans is a crime). According to that graph they literally have no highs. Anyone who tried the Major could tell whether it's the same with them?

When I heard the Majors I was quite impressed with the highs...they were not at all so drastically overpowered by the lows, as that frequency response suggests. I think that for $80 it is truly a great headphone, but if you have the opportunity to listen to them before you buy them you could hear something I didn't.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 31
Well I couldn't stay away so ordered it already (yeah, now I'm officially a "looks-whore"). I think I'll have time to pick it up tomorrow and see how I like it. I guess I can still pass it without a loss if it's not for my taste since the MSRP is ~130-140USD (100 EUR).

Quote:
Quote:

When I heard the Majors I was quite impressed with the highs...they were not at all so drastically overpowered by the lows, as that frequency response suggests. I think that for $80 it is truly a great headphone, but if you have the opportunity to listen to them before you buy them you could hear something I didn't.

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 31
Let me know what you think of them. Both my roommate and I had very similar opinions and were both impressed.

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 31
so what do you think of the sound?

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 31
Yeah, I promised to write a few impressions, so I'll at least partially translate my little "review" I wrote on a Hungarian forum, right now I'm too tired for that, but will do it soon. Don't expect anything too fanciful though. :)

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 31
Is this the guitar company?  I just googled it and it looks like they are an established guitar maker?
copy.png
trans.png

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
Is this the guitar company?  I just googled it and it looks like they are an established guitar maker?
copy.png
trans.png

Yep it's the same company. They definitely made themselves famous with guitar accessories, which is why I was so surprised when I saw this headphone

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #15 of 31
I have had mine for over a month now, I think. I should say they rather surprised me. They were smaller than expected, and lighter and felt somewhat cheap to me at first. 
But you know what? I think they are my main casual and sometimes some careful listening headphones. They offer good base and mid for me and highs are not as sparkling as Grado SR 352i that I have, but for what they are worth, I do not complain.
People have complained about their hard grip on your head; They are somewhat too hard on the head, and I am wearing eyeglasses. But they become easy on you. And most of all, they sound better as time goes.

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back