Headstage Arrow vs T3(D) - Which to buy?
May 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been looking and I can't seem to find a comparison anywhere. I've heard large praise for both, but I'm only going to buy one.

Which do you all recommend? I like the SIZE of the Arrow better, but how is the quality compared to the T3. They are in different price ranges, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

EDIT: Oh, and which LOD for iPod do you all recommend? I got a FiiO LOD for 9 bucks on eBay, and I think it's defective, plus...I'm sure it's not the best.

May 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MorbidToaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking and I can't seem to find a comparison anywhere. I've heard large praise for both, but I'm only going to buy one.

Which do you all recommend? I like the SIZE of the Arrow better, but how is the quality compared to the T3. They are in different price ranges, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

EDIT: Oh, and which LOD for iPod do you all recommend? I got a FiiO LOD for 9 bucks on eBay, and I think it's defective, plus...I'm sure it's not the best.

I've not tried the T3, but The Arrow is perfect for me, using my iPod Classic, as it matches perfectly in size, is very very slim and has some great features, not least of which is the automatic switch on/off when music is detected, so you can dont have to worry about it. Works brilliantly soundwise with my E-Q7s too.

LOD-wise, I use this one - iBasso CB05 Line Out Dock Cable for iPod & iPhone in Black HiFi Headphones

May 2, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not tried the T3, but The Arrow is perfect for me, using my iPod Classic, as it matches perfectly in size, is very very slim and has some great features, not least of which is the automatic switch on/off when music is detected, so you can dont have to worry about it. Works brilliantly soundwise with my E-Q7s too.

LOD-wise, I use this one - iBasso CB05 Line Out Dock Cable for iPod & iPhone in Black HiFi Headphones

I was thinking about that one. The FiiO will be good for now, but I have a feeling it won't last too long.

I like the slim-ness of it especially.

May 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 19
Not many will buy T3 and Arrow just to compare. I am from Germany. When taking into account trade-in, postage (incl. eventual repairs or upgrades) and import duties, the Arrow was not that much more expensive.

The Arrow has more reserves to power high impedance and low sensitive Earphones. The shape is perfect match for iPod classic or touch.

I use a Qables Silvercab LOD. For practical reasons I would avoid LODs with stiff wires or thick 3.5mm jacks.

May 2, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by zappp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not many will buy T3 and Arrow just to compare. I am from Germany. When taking into account trade-in, postage (incl. eventual repairs or upgrades) and import duties, the Arrow was not that much more expensive.

The Arrow has more reserves to power high impedance and low sensitive Earphones. The shape is perfect match for iPod classic or touch.

I use a Qables Silvercab LOD. For practical reasons I would avoid LODs with stiff wires or thick 3.5mm jacks.

I plan on pairing it with a set of RE1s, and a set of HD-25 1s.

From what I hear the RE1s need a good amp to power them, which I'm sure both of these are...I just want to know which is better for my needs.

May 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 19
I own the Headstage Lyrix which I also use w/ the RE1s, the combo works very well imo... The bass goes quite deep, while the soundstage is outstanding for an earphone...

The Arrow apparently is very similar sound-wise other that the bass is a bit better i think, that's what Robert Gehrke said at least...

That can only be of benefit to the RE1, the bass not being its strongest point...

I'd say go for the Arrow if you have the money... otherwise, the T3 is very good too i hear...

May 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the Headstage Lyrix which I also use w/ the RE1s, the combo works very well imo... The bass goes quite deep, while the soundstage is outstanding for an earphone...

The Arrow apparently is very similar sound-wise other that the bass is a bit better i think, that's what Robert Gehrke said at least...

That can only be of benefit to the RE1, the bass not being its strongest point...

I'd say go for the Arrow if you have the money... otherwise, the T3 is very good too i hear...

Yeah, I should have the money for either, I'm just trying to find out if the extra is really worth it between the two. I think I'll end up with the Arrow, but I'd still like to hear the two compared. Surprised I haven't been able to find one yet.

May 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 19
I've used both. The T3 didn't really make a huge difference in sound for the IEMs I was using (PFE, IE8) compared to my Nano 3g. More of a volume booster.

The Arrow can drive full size cans and is very versatile. If I was gonna buy a portable amp there's no question I'd buy an Arrow, but I haven't tried the TTVJ Portable or ALO RX. If it's just between the Arrow and T3 though, the Arrow is clearly at a different level imo

May 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by knubbe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used both. The T3 didn't really make a huge difference in sound for the IEMs I was using (PFE, IE8) compared to my Nano 3g. More of a volume booster.

The Arrow can drive full size cans and is very versatile. If I was gonna buy a portable amp there's no question I'd buy an Arrow, but I haven't tried the TTVJ Portable or ALO RX. If it's just between the Arrow and T3 though, the Arrow is clearly at a different level imo

I guess I'll end up with the Arrow. The other 2 you mentioned are just driving the price too high. The Arrow is pushing for my current budget.

May 3, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 19
I just got an email back from Robert about the Arrow. I never realized what a small market this was. A new order would take about 1 month to ship, plus shipping time. Waiting is going to suck.

May 6, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
I just got an email back from Robert about the Arrow. I never realized what a small market this was. A new order would take about 1 month to ship, plus shipping time. Waiting is going to suck.

Yea waiting is the worst part. Once I order a new piece of equipment I find myself holding off to listening to music because I know it's going to sound that much better once I get whatever I ordered. But yea if you don't want to wait that long you could always try the for sale forums :/

May 6, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Yea waiting is the worst part. Once I order a new piece of equipment I find myself holding off to listening to music because I know it's going to sound that much better once I get whatever I ordered. But yea if you don't want to wait that long you could always try the for sale forums :/

I guess I'm going to hold off on using my new RE-1s until I get it in a few months I guess. Maybe use them here and there, but I know they need an amp to sound great.

May 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
I guess I'm going to hold off on using my new RE-1s until I get it in a few months I guess. Maybe use them here and there, but I know they need an amp to sound great.

And the best part is that when you finally get everything plugged in and turn it on for the first time with your favorite song, you get blown away and it sounds that much better :D

This hobby is amazing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back